Posted Image

#5 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Missed winning the conference championship? Maybe some folks in Pittsburgh need to do a little more research.

#6 akzipper

akzipper

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

The Dunlap guy is still crying about it on twitter. Saying George is lying in his article. Who would know more, a guy who actually spoke with Dambrot or some random radio host in Pittsburgh?

#7 ZachTheZip

ZachTheZip

Only a Zips fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,744 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

When they called him, they also offered him.

#8 George Thomas

George Thomas

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

The Dunlap guy is still crying about it on twitter. Saying George is lying in his article. Who would know more, a guy who actually spoke with Dambrot or some random radio host in Pittsburgh?

He could be right. I can only go by what Keith told me, but I have little reason to believe he'd lie to me. He never has before. But whether he was offered the job or not is an issue of semantics. He still said NO.

#9 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Though, from the first I heard this rumor, I've felt a move from Akron to Duquesne was more than a bit far-fetched, this is still great news and reminds me, yet again, how appreciative I am of KD, his loyalty to Akron and what he's done for UA basketball. God bless you, KD! Go Zips!

Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#10 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Source:

Colin Dunlap of 93.7 FM The Fan in Pittsburgh is reporting that current Akron head coach Keith Dambrot has turned down an offer to come coach at Duquesne.
Dambrot, who coached LeBron James at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School has seen a tremendous amount of success at Akron, leading the Zips to two NCAA appearances and six consecutive appearances in the Mid-American Conference Tournament championship.According to Dunlap, Dambrot was offered a seven-year deal that would include a salary in excess of 600k per year and incentives that could have brought that number up to $775k.

The other frontrunner for the job, Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua has yet to be contacted due to the Wildcats' playing in the FInal Four.

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#11 GameChngr44

GameChngr44

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Antigua will not be hired as the Dukes HC.

#MomagerSwagg In Full Effect

#12 taxpayer

taxpayer

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

I will add my THANKS to Coach D for remaining at Akron. He has consistently said Akron is his dream job. In a profession where the almighty $ trumps everything it is an amazing committment Coach D has made and continues to make to U of A. If the reports are accurate he turned down a significant raise that multiplied by it's length means he turned down over $1,000,000. I believe when he speaks of committment, the players can really buy in as he practices what he preaches. Thanks Coach D, you are refreshing.

#13 xu9697

xu9697

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

With the HUGE fear of this turning into an arena thread.... UA/Tressel/Wistrcill/etc.... Give Mr. Dambrot a top notch facility to make his dream job even greater and to allow him to coach at a "major" program (Gonzaga of the MAC!!)= UA!!!

#14 EA3

EA3

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I will add my THANKS to Coach D for remaining at Akron. He has consistently said Akron is his dream job. In a profession where the almighty $ trumps everything it is an amazing committment Coach D has made and continues to make to U of A. If the reports are accurate he turned down a significant raise that multiplied by it's length means he turned down over $1,000,000. I believe when he speaks of committment, the players can really buy in as he practices what he preaches. Thanks Coach D, you are refreshing.

I keep asking everyone if KD really lives by the reasons you mentioned above....or if he wants/has to stay at Akron for other reasons.

I can't find anyone anywhere that has anything but good things to say about the guy. They also mention that his reasons for staying at Akron are genuine.

It's a lot easier to build a winning program in the MAC when you don't have to worry about your coach getting poached everytime he wins 25 games.

KD's loyalty should be applauded. (even though I secretly hope he gets lured away and my Broncos can start beating you guys on a regular basis)

#15 akzipper

akzipper

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

He could be right. I can only go by what Keith told me, but I have little reason to believe he'd lie to me. He never has before. But whether he was offered the job or not is an issue of semantics. He still said NO.

The guy thinks he's a big shot because he was at the final four. Big deal, never heard of him before in my life and I live in western PA. Not to mention he is STILL crying about it on twitter, two days later! Very bitter individual. Must be the Duquesne inferiority complex...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users