Dambrot says 'yes' to Duquesne this time

• 1 month later...
Duquesne frees up 1 million annually by killing off baseball, wrestling, swimming ,and golf. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune suggests it will be focused on the basketball program.

Or more likely it will simply not be spent, since the A-10 is losing a significant amount of NCAA tournament payout money with Temple, Xavier, Butler, and Charlotte all leaving.

Also, dropping four men's sports simultaniously implies that they're dealing with a massive Title IX problem.

Dejan used to be a really good writer for the PPG when he was the Pirates beat. Went to the Trib and is just a sensationalist now. I'd take everything with a grain of salt. Obviously he isn't making up the fact that sports are being cut, but as far as the reasons, who knows.

Or more likely it will simply not be spent, since the A-10 is losing a significant amount of NCAA tournament payout money with Temple, Xavier, Butler, and Charlotte all leaving.

Also, dropping four men's sports simultaniously implies that they're dealing with a massive Title IX problem.

The A-10 keeps all the units earned by those schools in the A-10 so in fact all the schools stand to earn quite a bit more now, especially from Temple and X's shares which are sizeable to the tune of over 40 million dollars over the next 6 years.

Schools earn NCAA shares for the conferences, and when they leave those units stay with the conference.

Duquesne has a pretty good coach in Ferry, they have a massive rebuild job to do, but they'll be respectable in the next couple of years.

The A-10 keeps all the units earned by those schools in the A-10 so in fact all the schools stand to earn quite a bit more now, especially from Temple and X's shares which are sizeable to the tune of over 40 million dollars over the next 6 years.

Schools earn NCAA shares for the conferences, and when they leave those units stay with the conference.

Duquesne has a pretty good coach in Ferry, they have a massive rebuild job to do, but they'll be respectable in the next couple of years.

One more tweak in their athletic program might assist their march to respectability - a move to the MEAC.

One more tweak in their athletic program might assist their march to respectability - a move to the MEAC.

That would do it too. The A-10 is tough to climb the ranks in. They'll be decent soon enough though. Ferry's already pulling in some pretty good recruits with impressive offers.

I'm glad Coach D stayed with Akron. It's great to see loyalty from guys like him.

• 2 years later...

Dejan used to be a really good writer for the PPG when he was the Pirates beat. Went to the Trib and is just a sensationalist now. I'd take everything with a grain of salt. Obviously he isn't making up the fact that sports are being cut, but as far as the reasons, who knows.

Now he is his own boss. What local writer around here could do this????

It remains to be seen whether Kovacevic has started a trend. Among sportswriters launching their own sites are: Gary Shelton, formerly of the Tampa Bay Times, and Dave Elfin who covers the sports beat in Washington D.C. Kovacevic said he has fielded numerous calls from sports columnists and reporters who are interesting in starting a site. He passes along the following advice. “In order to do this, you have to be old enough to have the trust of the community,” Kovacevic said. “And you have to be young enough to see what the next waves are [in media].”

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Plenty of fault to go around.  Heck, I'm always perplexed at the number of suits on a college bench.  Can't one of them count?  Also, these kids are old enough to know to stick with the group.  Mom needs to crap her trap rather than draw attention to the fact she raised an irresponsible goof.

It's always someone else's fault, other than the students'.  I see it on a daily basis.  Thing is, I refuse to enable it.  I FIRMLY believe that you get directions and that you be responsible for following them, remembering them and be diligent enough to be on time for them.  Now, high school students you can't leave at the airport...but adults?  Blame falls on yourself, just saying.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Their leading scorer, who was a freshman, is now transferring. If they were having issues attracting coaches before (had 4 coaches reject them this week alone), things aren't going to get any easier now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrEightball_/status/845338703107166209

Doesn't mean he is leaving

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

They offered a couple weeks ago but after 4 or 5 candidates said no they are taking another stab, presumably with a more attractive offer. Let's hope it's still not enough

Unfortunately for them, he already makes almost $1 million / yr. at Akron.

On 2/23/2013 at 9:53 PM, Quickzips said:

Can someone please explain to me why this is still a topic of conversation?

For one thing, Channel 3 "news" keeps bringing it up like it's breaking news that he's leaving.