Dambrot says 'yes' to Duquesne this time

20 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If length of contract is the issue, he already has that here.

If money was the issue, wouldn't he have taken the South Florida job?

I don't see anything here that will move the needle for him.  

I think Akron basketball peaked during Zeke Marshall's senior season. It was the best season the Zips ever had. Up until the Abreu incident it seemed like the Zips were going to make a nice run in the NCAA. Then we got blown out by VCU and haven't returned to the tournament ever since.

After this past season I've been struggling with the realization that maybe the Zips will never make the tournament again. Probably never get to see a great Sweet 16 run or even a tournament win. This imaginary new arena is never going to happen. The JAR is a dump and no matter how much money they pour into it, we'll still have a glorified HS gym.

Maybe Keith Dambrot had enough. I don't think Duquesne is a better option, but maybe he's just frustrated with UA. The same way a lot of us fans feel.

Even though UA has a lot of problems, he won't have the same following in Pittsburgh. Lebron isn't coming to watch games in the Palumbo Center or practice with his players. The student body and fanbase is very small. A small catholic college in the shadow of a big ACC school that has a history of success in just about every sport. That city doesn't care about Duquesne. If you live in Pittsburgh you are either a Pitt fan or WVU fan.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

The problem with Duquesne is even though one could argue (and I'd agree with) that it has a higher ceiling than Akron it also at the same time would realistically take Dambrot 3-4 years just to rebuild it enough to get to where Akron currently is. It would be a great hire for Duquesne as Dambrot could get the program on track so that it could be an attractive job in 5-7 years when Dambrot decides to retire, but I don't see it translating into Dambrot being the beneficiary of the turnaround unless he intends to coach past 65.

10 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I find it fishy the details are already leaked. Either it's BS or KD trying to get Akron to pony up

Dumb move on Akron's part to pay more.  If he doesn't take this 1) He is NEVER leaving 2) Already have money problems, why pay more for something that is already cemented in place? I like him and want him here, said it many of times. But it is dumb to pay more for someone that isn't leaving. Bad Business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Have you been to Dayton Arena?  I have.  A big concrete hole in the ground with seats.  Everything in that place is old and dungeon-looking.  For example, if you sit low enough you can't even get cell. phone reception.  You can bitch about the JAR, but I can think of plenty of better comparisons if you wish to view the JAR unfavorably to other arenas.  

I have for both HS and College games. It is the best basketball arena in the state. Best atmosphere.  I can get over the cell phone service... mine worked fine by the way.... But I was talking about Duquesne.

3 minutes ago, Blackburn said:

Dumb move on Akron's part to pay more.  If he doesn't take this 1) He is NEVER leaving 2) Already have money problems, why pay more for something that is already cemented in place? I like him and want him here, said it many of times. But it is dumb to pay more for someone that isn't leaving. Bad Business.

Maybe he wants a commitment on an arena. Duquesne has already played their search into a $40M renovation

3 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Maybe he wants a commitment on an arena. Duquesne has already played their search into a $40M renovation

Im just saying that I can't see this as a play to elevate salary... and if it was, it would be dumb to pony up on UAs part.  If he doesn't leave now, never will... why pay more for it?  Not smart.  

I see the arena being a play, but not that big of a deal.  

1M per year PLUS incentives... He gets less than 1M AFTER incentives.  

If he goes at all, he goes now.  Aging and people aren't going to waste their time with KD in future considerations if he turns everything down.  He is stuck now if he doesn't go. And Akron is dumb to fear otherwise... and pay for it.  

Im just saying he is DONE with being in consideration for other jobs if he doesn't take this.  He has to take it, you would think. 

Thinking out loud here.... If he takes it, 7 years. If UAs next hire is a dud, and would give next guy at least 4 years, UA would GLADLY take him back! If he doesn't find success at DU, and UA does, then he gets to retire with 400K more per year (roughly).  

And it isn't like our roster is poised for another "run" either.

Edited by Blackburn

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

If money was the issue, wouldn't he have taken the South Florida job?

I'd like to know when KD interviewed for the South Florida job?... and when did he get  and what was the offer.  I certainly believe he was a candidate, but the timing of an offer and to be told he rejected it--  less than 24 hrs from losing the MAC championship seems tight... or slightly exaggerated.

If the DU offer of 7/7 is there, I expect he leaves.