Dambrot says 'yes' to Duquesne this time

The reality is that no matter who was here and who will be here as the UA coach, somebody would/will b!+ch.  That's the nature of sports.  If the Zips win 100- 98, their defense needs work and the bad defensive coaching will eventually bite them in the ass.  If they win games 40-30, the offense is struggling and the coach needs to pick up the tempo.  If they win 26 games, they need to toughen up the schedule.  If they win 15 or 16, they need to lighten up the schedule.  No coach or scenario is going to make everyone happy.

When this all calms down and we look back years down the line, I think we'll all see that the Dambrot era was a good one for the Zips.  Perfect?  No.  Disappointing at times?  Yes, but all in all, we'll recognize that KD was good for UA basketball.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

BS..no one ever said that...just bc some of us want NCAA tourney success doesn't mean we're BORED with winning...garbage post

.Win 20 games a year and lose in the MAC C is boring to me. Win 20 games and lose to any team worth a damn is boring to me.

Exactly where I'm at, Good Doctor.  I'm actually more excited about Zips basketball than I have been for a few years.  It had grown very stale.

I woke up this morning excited about Zips basketball again! I had forgotten what that felt like. Go Zips!

Hopefully in Dambrot moving on it will re-energize my interest in Zips basketball.  NOT because Dambrot is no longer here, but instead because there is nothing new to see.

Edited by kreed5120

Clark - You're damn right our defense needs work, a LOT of it, if we win 100-98 ... oh, sorry.

kreed - I think a lot of us are tired of winning as in I just beat my 5-year-old (Malone, Coppin State, etc.) at checkers for the 137th time straight! We're ready and HAVE been ready to beat Nevada at home, Kent in Cleveland for a chance to Dance, Northwestern and Ohio State in the NIT, Notre Dame in March Madness, Miami and Bowling Green down the stretch to put ourselves in the best position to at least sniff an At-Large bid. No question - we won A LOT but we didn't win enough when it mattered. Lots of reasons for that but something wasn't working.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

kreed - I think a lot of us are tired of winning as in I just beat my 5-year-old (Malone, Coppin State, etc.) at checkers for the 137th time straight! We're ready and HAVE been ready to beat Nevada at home, Kent in Cleveland for a chance to Dance, Northwestern and Ohio State in the NIT, Notre Dame in March Madness, Miami and Bowling Green down the stretch to put ourselves in the best position to at least sniff an At-Large bid. No question - we won A LOT but we didn't win enough when it mattered. Lots of reasons for that but something wasn't working.

Just in general fans are always craving for more (myself included). I feel a lot of people took the success Dambrot achieved here for granted and will now realize it since he is gone. Akron isn't all that attractive of a job. We have poor facilities at a financially strapped university. We have no historical success outside of a 10 year Dambrot period. We have a small fan base (Despite an unprecedented run of success making 9 out of the last 11 MAC Finals we still can only get ~3,500 fans to show up to games).

In a way he is a victim of his own success. If I told you today that you could sign a paper that guarantees that Zips football would make 9 of the next 11 MAC Champions, winning 3 of them, who here wouldn't sign that?

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

In a way he is a victim of his own success. If I told you today that you could sign a paper that guarantees that Zips football would make 9 of the next 11 MAC Champions, winning 3 of them, who here wouldn't sign that?

Hell yes I'd sign that. But I don't think its completely an apples to apples comparison. If we were to make a majority of MAC championships and lose most of them, well at least we would have the bowl game to look forward too, which is as good of a prize as you are going to get with the way college football is currently set up, which is unfortunate. In basketball, there are 68 teams who get a shot to play for the championship in this super popular tournament. And if you aren't one of those 68 teams then nobody outside of 1/4th of your fan base cares about how do you in a tournament that means nothing. It also doesn't help when as great of a regular season run as we had the past 11 seasons, we have accumulated a total of 3 post season wins, especially when we couldn't even capitalize against crappy competiton (IPFW anyone).

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Hell yes I'd sign that. But I don't think its completely an apples to apples comparison. If we were to make a majority of MAC championships and lose most of them, well at least we would have the bowl game to look forward too, which is as good of a prize as you are going to get with the way college football is currently set up, which is unfortunate. In basketball, there are 68 teams who get a shot to play for the championship in this super popular tournament. And if you aren't one of those 68 teams then nobody outside of 1/4th of your fan base cares about how do you in a tournament that means nothing. It also doesn't help when as great of a regular season run as we had the past 11 seasons, we have accumulated a total of 3 post season wins, especially when we couldn't even capitalize against crappy competiton (IPFW anyone).

Not disputing there is a if you're not 1st, you're last mentality surrounding 1 bid conferences like the MAC. Still doesn't mean we haven't way outperformed our competition. We've won 3 MAC Tournaments in the past 11 years, finishing 2nd place 6 times. The other 11 teams that comprise the conference have won it 8 times combined or about .75 times per team.

Edited by kreed5120

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The FBS system is a joke. Most of the bowl games are a joke. Nothing but filler for tv sports networks. Nobody watches and outside of a few of the traditional bowls nobody goes. Nothing like a matchup of two teams with 7-6 records to create exciting tv. All you have to do is look at that huge boost in attendance that we got after winning the tater bowl!:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, GoZips88 said:

we won A LOT but we didn't win enough when it mattered.

In our own minds, I think we're all trying to find the words to describe what we've witnessed over 13 years, and especially how to describe why we are a bit frustrated despite all of the winning.   And I think you're very, very close.  

I'd change one word here.  I'd replace "when it mattered" with "when it was significant".  We won plenty of games "that mattered".  I think we were 9-2 in MAC Semifinal games. That's unbelievable. As someone said recently, "Does anyone know how hard it is to get to 9 MAC Finals games in 11 years"?   We also won 2 MAC Tournament titles when we were coming from the middle of the pack.  I think most would acknowledge that the NIT wins against Temple, Florida and Houston on the road were unexpected as well.

On the other hand, we missed every opportunity to beat the real top level D-1 teams at any point, including the nail biter at home against #25 Nevada 10 years ago that really could have supercharged this program.  I also think that the 6 MAC Championship game losses are really going to be painful memories for us for a long time too.

I see above that someone said that the Dambrot era will be looked at as "goodt for Akron basketball".  I'll go with "really good for Akron basketball".  But certainly, there were plenty of opportunities for more that were missed.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

The FBS system is a joke. Most of the bowl games are a joke. Nothing but filler for tv sports networks. Nobody watches and outside of a few of the traditional bowls nobody goes. Nothing like a matchup of two teams with 7-6 records to create exciting tv. All you have to do is look at that huge boost in attendance that we got after winning the tater bowl!:rolleyes:

I agree that the FBS system is a joke. I agree that there is an over-saturation of bowl games. I disagree about nobody watching. If nobody watched then there would not be sponsors for these bowl games with the sponsors giving away gifts and hundreds of thousands of dollars at minimum per team for participating. Football is the most popular sport in America.

Is the NCAA tournmanet a joke? Here is Akrons' huge "boost" in attendance after making the tournament 3 times under KD:

Made the tournament in 08-09. Avg. attendance - 2,984. Attendance the following season was 2,824.

Made the tournament in 10-11. Avg. attendance - 2,821. Attendance the following season was 3,440.

Made the tournament in 12-13. Avg. attendance - 3,782. Attendance the following season was 3,609.

Edited by LZIp

12 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Is the NCAA tournmanet a joke? Here is Akrons' huge "boost" in attendance after making the tournament 3 times under KD:

Made the tournament in 08-09. Avg. attendance - 3454. Attendance the following season was 2,984.

Made the tournament in 10-11. Avg. attendance - 2,824. Attendance the following season was 2,821.

Made the tournament in 12-13. Avg. attendance - 3,440. Attendance the following season was 3,782.

Wow.  I had no idea. On average, that would be an overall DROP following NCAA tournament appearances.  

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Wow.  I had no idea. On average, that would be an overall DROP following NCAA tournament appearances.  

i think I pulled a year off for each as the NCAA only lists whole years rather than labeling seasons as 2012-2013 for example. I'll post the updated numbers after I fix them.

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Original post is updated and here are the updated numbers:

Made the tournament in 08-09. Avg. attendance - 2,984. Attendance the following season was 2,824.

Made the tournament in 10-11. Avg. attendance - 2,821. Attendance the following season was 3,440.

Made the tournament in 12-13. Avg. attendance - 3,782. Attendance the following season was 3,609.

I feel due to the nature of the two sports expectations is what drives MAC football attendance, meanwhile, current season performance is what drives MAC basketball attendance. The football games that attract the most people are the August and September games when the weather is nice and games aren't played mid-week. If the team is expected to be good, it gets even more people out. In basketball with so many more games you don't see attendance pick up until February or March when you already have a sample size of 20 or so games to determine how good the team is.

Edited by kreed5120

38 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

Looks like not all the media in Pittsburgh is positive. 

Seems like a pretty fair piece to me. Well written, well researched and quoted. While not "positive", I wouldn't call it negative. More informative, for those that may have run across a headline googling his name when he got the job, and don't know the back story. I didn't know he had a former player call the Cotton family, so I actually learned something. 

Reads familiar, from the comment section: "Couldn't give long suffering Duquesne fans one little moment before you go back to talking about Pitt 24/7! Disgraceful!"