Dambrot says 'yes' to Duquesne this time

On 4/1/2017 at 10:16 AM, LZIp said:

Like you made Akron relevant?

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

2 hours ago, lilroodude said:

:nutkick:

Kieth/Akron

His similarities - not good similarities - to LeBron amaze me. Might as well have had an hour-long TV special to announce he's taking his "talents" to Pittsburgh. 

More like if Lebron left the Cavs in 2010 to play for the New Jersey Nets because he wanted a challenge. At least James went a better team where he could compete for championships.

And unlike Lebron, I have no interest in seeing KD anywhere near Akron again. All of these people thanking him on social media is irritating.

Edited by akzipper

After several days of letting this sink in, I have to say..I don't understand all the bad blood. Yes, it sucks losing a guy that put Akron basketball on the map, yes it was a shock to all of us. I always thought if he ever left it would be for a power 5 school. The fact of the matter is he's getting older, his father is getting older and it sounds to me like he is trying to provide some sort of dying wish of his father to make Duquesne relevant again. I've never met KD, but I've listened to enough of his interviews and have seen Akron basketball go through enough trials and tribulations to see that a common theme in all occasions of Dambrot is loyalty.  He was always there for his players and former players in tough times (Abreu, Diggs, Treadwell, etc). Look at his staff. Every one of them played for him. Loyalty. He takes care of his people. Yes I'm just as disappointed to see him go as the rest of you, but i think this move is bigger than basketball, money, and even number of bids in the conferences. I think this is another example of Dambrot's loyalty...unfortunately for us this time it is not toward our city, university, or basketball team, but to his father. I, for one, wish him the best and hope he can do the same thing for Duquesne as he did for us. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some of the replies on this thread have me shaking my head.  

Did KD accomplish the ultimate goal of an NCAA Tournament run?  He did not.  But that doesn't mean he didn't move this program forward in a major way.  

In 12 seasons under Coleman Crawford and Dan Hipsher, the Zips had 3 winning records.  Dambrot's teams had a winning record in each of his 13 seasons.

In the 12 seasons prior to KD, they were 1-7 in the MAC Tournament with 5 years where they didn't qualify.  The furthest they made it was the Quarterfinals.  Under Dambrot, the Zips made it to the Semi-Finals 12 out of 13 seasons and the final in 9 of 13 seasons.  

In 37 years of Division I play, the Zips have made it to 4 NCAA Tournaments.  3 of those happened under Dambrot.  

To say he didn't elevate this program to much higher levels than where it was when he took over is just stubborn.  

Listen, I'm bummed KD left.  I loved the stability, I enjoyed a lot of the kids he brought into the program, and I loved putting Saturday at The Q in my calendar every year.  I also know how many unnecessary roadblocks were put in his way by others at UA, and how frustrating that was.  I also know how much his father means to him, and how much Duquesne means to his father.  I wasn't happy with his choice, but I can respect it.  

I'm just not sure why we can't be appreciative of what KD did here in elevating the program to a consistent winner while at the same time being excited for John Groce potentially taking us to that next level that KD couldn't.  I'll be hoping for the best for KD and his staff at Duquesne, so long as we're not playing each other or battling for a recruit.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

Some of the replies on this thread have me shaking my head.  

Did KD accomplish the ultimate goal of an NCAA Tournament run?  He did not.  But that doesn't mean he didn't move this program forward in a major way.  

In 12 seasons under Coleman Crawford and Dan Hipsher, the Zips had 3 winning records.  Dambrot's teams had a winning record in each of his 13 seasons.

In the 12 seasons prior to KD, they were 1-7 in the MAC Tournament with 5 years where they didn't qualify.  The furthest they made it was the Quarterfinals.  Under Dambrot, the Zips made it to the Semi-Finals 12 out of 13 seasons and the final in 9 of 13 seasons.  

In 37 years of Division I play, the Zips have made it to 4 NCAA Tournaments.  3 of those happened under Dambrot.  

To say he didn't elevate this program to much higher levels than where it was when he took over is just stubborn.  

Listen, I'm bummed KD left.  I loved the stability, I enjoyed a lot of the kids he brought into the program, and I loved putting Saturday at The Q in my calendar every year.  I also know how many unnecessary roadblocks were put in his way by others at UA, and how frustrating that was.  I also know how much his father means to him, and how much Duquesne means to his father.  I wasn't happy with his choice, but I can respect it.  

I'm just not sure why we can't be appreciative of what KD did here in elevating the program to a consistent winner while at the same time being excited for John Groce potentially taking us to that next level that KD couldn't.  I'll be hoping for the best for KD and his staff at Duquesne, so long as we're not playing each other or battling for a recruit.  

What has been said in 2 plus months that triggered this post? April 3 was the last post in this topic before today. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum who is a respectable poster (not a troll) that doesn't acknowledge that KD elevated the program from where it was.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1