Jim christian to coach OU

This can't be welcome news for the OU faithful. He was a fairly average coach by Can't standards when he was there and flammed out big-time at TCU. Best they can hope for is that he is coming home to Ohio to lick his wounds and ends up having a Gary Waters like impact, but this has to be a pretty big disappointment for them. Jeff Boals would have been a far better option.

Christian, per a sources, will also make comparable money. He was making about $600,000 per season at TCU. Christian's wife also went to Ohio U.

That would up the ante for MAC basketball coaches. In any case, this would make it even easier for Zips fans to dislike OU. :)

Ohio University hires TCU coach Jim Christian

Note: Some reports are saying that Christian is saying that "nothing is official." If he wasn't taking the job, he'd just say "I'm not taking that job." If he was taking the job and didn't want to spoil the official announcement, he'd say "nothing is official." In other words, it won't be official until the official announcement.

The only thing is, if the OU coach is worth that much, so is KD.

KD should, and hopefully will get a raise. I"m not sure what his salary is now, but if they have a good year in 2012-2013 he should end up with at least a 600,000 base salary.

How about a press conference announcing a contract extension and new arena all in one?! I'd take off work for that!

I'd say that TCU moving to the Big12, pretty much means they were going to need a better coach

KD should, and hopefully will get a raise. I"m not sure what his salary is now, but if they have a good year in 2012-2013 he should end up with at least a 600,000 base salary.

How about a press conference announcing a contract extension and new arena all in one?! I'd take off work for that!

I'd say that TCU moving to the Big12, pretty much means they were going to need a better coach

In 2013? Isn't 8 good years in a row already good enough?

That astounds me that OU would pay so much for an ex-MAC coach who was doing poorly at his current job.

In 2013? Isn't 8 good years in a row already good enough?

That astounds me that OU would pay so much for an ex-MAC coach who was doing poorly at his current job.

I agree he should get paid NOW, but sadly I feel our athletic department has financial priorities elsewhere and kind of take KD for granted. After hearing the Duquesne rumors, one thing actually made the move seem likely. A school like Duquense has to worry about 1 sport really. They don't have FBS football, nationally ranked soccer, and have recently ended several sports such as baseball. They can throw all their chips on the table, while we have to prioritize. Hopefully this is a wakeup call to TW and Proenza!

What a phenomenal hire... for the rest of the MAC. ;)

Christian is going to run half of the current players and recruits out of town. Cooper is pissed, they already lost a commit, and I can't imagine the rest of the team is happy.

Not to mention the fact that he had a lot of off the court issues at Can't. Ohio has like 36 bars on campus (or something like that). Good luck keeping your JUCO buddies out of trouble Jim.

:tomato: <--- OU AD. :puke: <--- OU Fans/Players. :champs: <--- Akron. :screwks: <--- The Truth.

Me neither, but it was $363K in 2010.

I'm not sure I'd be too happy with my school paying that large of a salary for this guy if I was an OU fan.

See JZ84, you aren't looking at it the right way. You need to look at it like an Athletic Director looks at it....All you need to do is build a stadium that you can't afford in order to pay for the coach you can't afford....then the math works. Does it make sense now?

I maybe on the wrong end of things here guys. But I think it is a good hire.

Why Jim Christian is a Good Hire

From the article cited above:

Overall, I am on the side that this could work out great for OU. Though he may not have been the best hire in the world, I feel that there is no reason that he can lead this team back to the Sweet 16.

I hope that wasn't a typo. :lol: