Jim christian to coach OU

Not so sure I agree with the writer about him knowing how to recruit. Looking at the rosters over his years at Can't, he really had just that one strong class ('06 w/Mckee, Q, Sherman, and Singletary). His other years were pretty average, with many underclassmen coming and going from the roster. Plus he inherited an elite 8 team, which didn't produce the recruits it should have his first couple of years.

Not so sure I agree with the writer about him knowing how to recruit. Looking at the rosters over his years at Can't, he really had just that one strong class ('06 w/Mckee, Q, Sherman, and Singletary). His other years were pretty average, with many underclassmen coming and going from the roster. Plus he inherited an elite 8 team, which didn't produce the recruits it should have his first couple of years.

The problem with Christian's recruiting is a matter of the type of kids he recruits. The majority of kids that saw time under him at Can't were 2 year JUCO kids and/or kids with checkered pasts. Look for OU to spend a lot more time in the police blotter with Christian in town.

Christian's 6-season winning percentage at Can't is interesting to compare with KD's 8-season winning percentage at UA:

.699 = Christian (137-59)

.679 = Dambrot (184-87)

I think it's important to note that Christian took over a program fresh off an Elite 8 run and still didn't really land any great recruits.

@UAZip0510, good observation. It's also fair to note that KD turned around a UA program that had not won more than 50% of its games in any of the four seasons before he became head coach.

KD built a losing program into a winning program at UA while Christian maintained a winning program at Can't. So their winning percentages tell only part of the story.

Another key point is that Christian's Can't teams lost all of their NCAA and NIT games while KD has at least a couple of NIT wins during his tenure. OU fans are not going to be satisfied with anything Christian does during the regular season if he can't at least match what Groce accomplished in the NCAA tournament, just as Zips fans are no longer content with good regular season results without a strong postseason run.

@UAZip0510, good observation. It's also fair to note that KD turned around a UA program that had not won more than 50% of its games in any of the four seasons before he became head coach.

KD built a losing program into a winning program at UA while Christian maintained a winning program at Can't. So their winning percentages tell only part of the story.

Another key point is that Christian's Can't teams lost all of their NCAA and NIT games while KD has at least a couple of NIT wins during his tenure. OU fans are not going to be satisfied with anything Christian does during the regular season if he can't at least match what Groce accomplished in the NCAA tournament, just as Zips fans are no longer content with good regular season results without a strong postseason run.

They're definitely under similar pressure. I think Christian may have a tad bit more due to the fact that his roster has already proven to be good enough to reach the Sweet Sixteen (and almost Elite Eight).

Okay, the tone of this article kind of pisses me off. What kind of value does a term like "BCS-level" really have in basketball? So many "BCS level" schools would have their a** handed to them by mid-majors and non football schools in basketball.

It's not often that a coach would leave a BCS-level job for one in the Mid-American Conference, but that's what Jim Christian has decided to do.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketbal...b#ixzz1qwFnak2V

The following story on Jeff Boals includes the comment that "he's not sure why he wasn't chosen as his alma mater's new head coach."

Men's Basketball: Boals Had "Brief Conversation" With Schaus About Coaching Position

Jim Christian's a very good coach. But, personally, I breathed a big sigh of relief when I found out Jeff Boals wasn't taking over in Athens.