#1 Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Good story.

Fear is a great motivator. Light that competitive fire to get our new arena built!

Terry Bowden. Keith Dambrot. Rick Rembielak. Chuck Amato. How ya like dem apples, Terry Pluto?! This is AKRON!

#2 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Dambrot said Sunday night he was never offered the job by the school his father Sid played for in the 1950s and is not interested in leaving Akron. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, former Kentucky assistant Orlando Antigua looks to be Duquesne’s top choice, but it appears Dambrot is still in the running.

I wonder what makes Marla write..."still in the running"?

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#3 g-mann17

g-mann17

Nonsensical Rambler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Probably the same thing that made her inaccurately quote Jimmy C's OU salary...

$425,000 not $600,000
"At least we know what the hell we is...we's a ZIP!" - Butchie Washington

#4 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Probably the same thing that made her inaccurately quote Jimmy C's OU salary...

$425,000 not $600,000

She did a poor job researching this one. No debate necessary.

On a related note -- One the most incredibly inaccurate observations I've seen on our board in many years was posted a few weeks ago, and read something like: "I like the Zips position. OU is built for the short term. Akron is built for the long haul."

OU hired Frank Solich for football. They have won NCAA tourney games in 2 of the past 3 seasons. They have a 13,000 seat basketball facility. They've fired a basketball coach who was 19-11 in his final season, because it wasn't good enough.

Lose a great coach, hire another one. Fire underachievers. Outspend everyone else. Great facilities. OU is built EXACTLY for the long haul. They are our most formidable basketball competitor, and for the next decade+.

Why not K.e.n.t.? Because, per Marla, K.e.n.t. is "justifiably" pumping the lion's share of their money into football. :lol:
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#5 zippy5

zippy5

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Dunlap just tweeted that he was told the Dukes plan to make a second run at KD.

So I guess yeah, he's still in the running. Although I doubt Duquesne is in the running.

#6 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

On a related note -- One the most incredibly inaccurate observations I've seen on our board in many years was posted a few weeks ago, and read something like: "I like the Zips position. OU is built for the short term. Akron is built for the long haul."

OU hired Frank Solich for football. They have won NCAA tourney games in 2 of the past 3 seasons. They have a 13,000 seat basketball facility. They've fired a basketball coach who was 19-11 in his final season, because it wasn't good enough.

Lose a great coach, hire another one. Fire underachievers. Outspend everyone else. Great facilities. OU is built EXACTLY for the long haul. They are our most formidable basketball competitor, and for the next decade+.

Why not K.e.n.t.? Because, per Marla, K.e.n.t. is "justifiably" pumping the lion's share of their money into football. :lol:

I'm not sure her claim that only four schools in the whole country have won at least 10 league games in the past 14 years is accurate either.

#7 EA3

EA3

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I posted this on the ncaabbs board. Marla didn't do a very good job researching this one. First she made the salary assumption at 600k...which probably stemmed from everyone jumping the gun due to one knucklehead at cbssports stating JC would make "comparable" money to his current salary at TCU....which was actually 590k. Next up she claims that Can't has the lowest paid HC in the league. When in fact, they do not. Orr- 160k Witherspoon - 188k Murphy - 225k Taylor - 205k And that doesn't take into account Miami, which I believe they were underpaying Coles significantly (200k if I remember correctly). Is Can't in the bottom half? yes, but not dead last. I posted a complete list of HC salaries in the MAC on the NCAABBS board under the WMU page if anyone wants to check it out. *I also read that Dambrot will make close to 500k after this last season due to incentives. Not sure if that is accurate or not though. I couldn't find a breakdown.

#8 EA3

EA3

Junior Zippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

LOL. I was just rereading my post and noticed that zipnation has an auto filter that changes the spelling of your main rival. Now that's funny.

#9 scottditzen

scottditzen

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Ha ha...yep. Any little opportunity to insult them should rightly be taken.

LOL.

I was just rereading my post and noticed that zipnation has an auto filter that changes the spelling of your main rival.

Now that's funny.

#10 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Oftentimes, I think some fans are blind in assuming that their own program is "doing it the right way". It often appears to me as nothing more than an excuse for why some other program is passing us.

Ken+ flew out ahead of us a decade ago, and we've been trying to catch them ever since. In the meantime, OU has passed us.

Some of our fans need to be much more open to the thought that maybe "our way" really may not be the "best way".

#11 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Oftentimes, I think some fans are blind in assuming that their own program is "doing it the right way". It often appears to me as nothing more than an excuse for why some other program is passing us.

Ken+ flew out ahead of us a decade ago, and we've been trying to catch them ever since. In the meantime, OU has passed us.

Some of our fans need to be much more open to the thought that maybe "our way" really may not be the "best way".

Well said. Kentucky just won a national championship and has been a good program since...well, a heck of a long time. Is Kentucky built for the long term or short term with one-and-done players? If Akron was in the same position as Kentucky right now, then nobody would be saying anything about "building a program we can all be proud of" or "doing it the right way". Calapari did it the right way...he got good players and won a national championship and the fans are extremely happy. What else is there? Calapari won't even let the words "student-athlete" come out of his mouth because he knows why he is there and he knows what the fans expectations are.
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#12 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Just a theory, but after looking at the Dukes job, KD started to run away and hasn't stopped to look back to see if anyone is still chasing him. Just goes to show, "still in the running" can mean a lot of things. He's still running away....
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#13 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

The only post on ZN.o that I recall sounding like that is one that I made. But it had nothing at all to do with football, facilities, hiring new coaches, etc., etc. It was in a discussion about the NCAA tournament, and was very narrowly aimed at OU's style of relying so heavily on 3-point shooting to win, and how their NCAA tournament run would end when their outside shooting went cold. It was intended to be complimentary of the Zips' new focus on the inside game, which is generally more reliable over the long run than UA's prior reliance on 3-point shooting.

Here's a link to the original post for those who might want to consider the statement within its original context. And, by the way, I give credit to OU for staying hotter from the outside longer than I thought they would.

#14 Dr Z

Dr Z

Zips Junkie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

So Akron is built for the long run (with an inside game), but has never won an NCAA tourney game. OU is built for the short run (with three point shooting) and just won two straight tourney NCAA games. Got it. Looking forward to the long run. BTW What percentage of points did Akron score in the paint this season?

michgamebanner2.jpg

"I've been fortunate in my life time to be part of some big wins, and that would have been the biggest" —Terry Bowden on UA@UM

#15 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

So Akron is built for the long run (with an inside game), but has never won an NCAA tourney game. OU is built for the short run (with three point shooting) and just won two straight tourney NCAA games. Got it. Looking forward to the long run.

BTW What percentage of points did Akron score in the paint this season?

The only way mid-majors stand a chance of beating "majors" is by hitting the 3 at a very high percentage. Trying to match real "major" programs inside the paint is impossible. Hell...vs. UNC, tiny OU couldn't buy a rebound off missed free throws!

Their inside game was parsley on the dinner plate. They lived off the three...as they should.

Looking forward to what Blake Justice brings to our table in 2012-13.
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users