36 replies to this topic

#31 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

@zipdiehard, you can believe whatever you choose to believe. But I can find no data that supports that low-ball Xavier men's basketball budget that you want to stake your bet on. ;)

The most recent reference to Xavier's basketball budget came in a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review article less than a week ago that gave the budgets of all Atlantic 10 teams from the 2006-07 and 2010-11 seasons.

Xavier's increased 24.6% from $3,154,000 to $3,929,000.

In fact, there are many references on the internet to Xavier's basketball budget being just under $4 million. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on that number.

Duquesne hoops budget doubled

#32 zipdiehard

zipdiehard

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I realize you have chosen to focus on just Xavier, but if you look at your own latest link, you will see that the numbers for the rest of the A-10 are the same in both. In reality, your link helped to validate the one I cited. Anyway, who knows why the Xavier numbers are off. tOSU's were off as well, but the others from the top that I looked at were the same from various sources. I wouldn't bet on any information gathered from the internet... :)

#33 zipdiehard

zipdiehard

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Meant "your example" was Xavier, not focusing on.

#34 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

I think I'll stick by the numbers in my link. A simple google search confirms the top numbers such as Duke's. I see a little more credibiliity in those numbers as opposed to the "tens of millions" and "sometimes 100 million" the writer cites in your link.

Butler and Gonzaga's coaches each make over $1,000,000 per year. So does Wichita State's. They make BCS money.
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#35 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Getting back to the bet, most available data supports that Xavier and Gonzaga do have the recources of mediocre BCS basketball programs. In a previous ZN.o discussion on the BCS-level resources of top mid-major teams, I researched the fact that Gonzaga's basketball team has a private jet for road games and for jetting the coaches overseas to evaluate foreign talent. That's BCS-level, not mid-major.

#36 JSF

JSF

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

I see a little more credibiliity in those numbers as opposed to the "tens of millions" and "sometimes 100 million" the writer cites in your link.

The guy who wrote that article you dismiss runs the site you cite.

Your mind is blown.
Follow the MAC Report Online and J. Scott Fitzwater Twitter feeds.

#37 zipdiehard

zipdiehard

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

The guy who wrote that article you dismiss runs the site you cite.

Your mind is blown.

I guess that blows the credibility of either article.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users