Social Media comparison

We absolutely dominate Facebook, but Twitter is weak.

Facebook (likes):

17,082 Akron Zips

8,159 Can't State University Golden Flashes

7,863 Ohio Bobcats

6,688 NIU Huskies

6,550 CMU Athletics

5,270 Toledo Rockets

4,245 Western Michigan University Athletics

4,223 Miami Redhawks

4,166 Victor E. Bull (Buffalo)

3,234 Eastern Michigan Athletics

3,193 BGSU Athletics

1,903 Ball State Sports

Twitter (Followers):

7,520 @OhioBobcats

4,344 @MiamiRedHawks

4,252 @CMUAthletics

3,914 @BGathletics

2,887 @NIUAthletics

2,718 @Can't StateAthletics

2,639 @UTRocketsDotCom

2,547 @emuathletics

2,516 @bsuathletics

2,364 @FollowTheRoo

1,628 @UBsportsinfo

843 @wmubroncofans

I think what's happening is that we are treating Twitter like another version of Facebook, when it's really two different cultures with different expectations for the level of communication.

A Facebook fan page is perfect for linking to articles and then letting fans discuss them in the comments and share things with their friends. Twitter, on the other hand allows for a more personal kind interaction and requires whoever is running it to be more hands-on.

If they're both only linking to articles and posting announcements/promotions, then people will only follow the Facebook page because it gives more options to the fans. But if Twitter offers something unique, like the possibility to have a short conversation with the SID (or whoever is in charge of this). Simply answering some questions that get tweeted at them would go a long way, because it shows that there is something there, a person and it's not just an automatic script that puts up a link whenever an article on GoZips.com is posted or something goes up on Facebook.

I think what's happening is that we are treating Twitter like another version of Facebook, when it's really two different cultures with different expectations for the level of communication.

A Facebook fan page is perfect for linking to articles and then letting fans discuss them in the comments and share things with their friends. Twitter, on the other hand allows for a more personal kind interaction and requires whoever is running it to be more hands-on.

If they're both only linking to articles and posting announcements/promotions, then people will only follow the Facebook page because it gives more options to the fans. But if Twitter offers something unique, like the possibility to have a short conversation with the SID (or whoever is in charge of this). Simply answering some questions that get tweeted at them would go a long way, because it shows that there is something there, a person and it's not just an automatic script that puts up a link whenever an article on GoZips.com is posted or something goes up on Facebook.

I think it is because there are 4 different Akron twitter accounts. That all tweet similar stuff. That's 4 not counting coach's accounts.

I think it is because there are 4 different Akron twitter accounts. That all tweet similar stuff. That's 4 not counting coach's accounts.

yep. I follow a few Akron accounts on twitter. Not sure what is the "official" one (even though I'm guessing its @FollowTheRoo). Whoever is in charge needs to get rid of the diffusion and focus on a single account.

Follow the Roo is the official akron athletics twitter account. There's an account for the University, non-athletic, plus a few others for certain major areas of the university. Additionally, I think there's a twitter account for mens/womens basketball, mens/womens soccer, football, etc EACH.

Its a confusing landscape out there.

Akron Zips Football 2,135 likes (UA does not maintain, just an interest topic)

Akron Zips Soccer 3,969 likes (I believe UA maintains it)

the rest don't have many likes and are probably not maintained by the University.

The one everyone should like is this

Ohio State Suckeyes have 1,189,692 likes :puke:

yep. I follow a few Akron accounts on twitter. Not sure what is the "official" one (even though I'm guessing its @FollowTheRoo). Whoever is in charge needs to get rid of the diffusion and focus on a single account.

yep, add to that the basketball, football accounts. I think I follow Zippy too. I get all the Zips news, just from different places, and usually repetitive stuff.

Akron Zips Football 2,135 likes (UA does not maintain, just an interest topic)

Akron Zips Soccer 3,969 likes (I believe UA maintains it)

the rest don't have many likes and are probably not maintained by the University.

The one everyone should like is this

Ohio State Suckeyes have 1,189,692 likes :puke:

The football page is just a community page...no one runs it.

The soccer page is in possession of UA but was originally started by a fan. Not sure why they haven't capitalized on that though.