Dambrot Mentioned in SI Article on LeBron

UAZip0510

This is one of the dumbest discussions in the history of ZN.o. And there have been plenty.

LeBron works out & plays pickup basketball with our team over the summer, brings in friends like Kevin Durant, D-Wade, C-Bosh & Chris Paul & is friends with everyone on the team. (Hint: has anyone noticed the slight uptick in athletic talent KD's been able to recruit over the last two years?)

There better not be ANYTHING more explicit going on beyond what LeBron already does, or the NCAA would hit us with the death penalty quicker than I can make this post - they already made he & Coach Joyce move the King James Classic off of our campus.

Lord have mercy on us all. Good grief.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LeBron works out & plays pickup basketball with our team over the summer, brings in friends like Kevin Durant, D-Wade, C-Bosh & Chris Paul & is friends with everyone on the team. (Hint: has anyone noticed the slight uptick in athletic talent KD's been able to recruit over the last two years?)

There better not be ANYTHING more explicit going on beyond what LeBron already does, or the NCAA would hit us with the death penalty quicker than I can make this post - they already made he & Coach Joyce move the King James Classic off of our campus.

James has been in the NBA a lot longer than two years so I don't see the connection. I do see the connection between our winning and better players though. The talent pool has become better with time during KD's coaching period.

What ncaa rules are being broken by having a James sponsored basketball tournament on campus?

This is one of the dumbest discussions in the history of ZN.o. And there have been plenty.

Lord have mercy on us all. Good grief.

Think it's possible that has anything to do with 2 NCAA Tournament appearances in the last 4 years? Or the possibility that Keith Dambrot and Rick McFadden are pretty damn good recruiters?

It's one thing to insult your fellow forum members in this discussion...it's another to insult the ability of our coaching staff to bring in quality players on their own.

As for the recruiting violations, take a look at this link:

"As Windhorst notes, LeBron consulted Tyreke Evans, John Wall and Sullinger before they chose their collegiate destination. Interestingly enough, Evans and Wall went to play for Calipari before jumping to the NBA. Also of note? Buckeyes coach Thad Matta has made LeBron an honorary alum."

I guess Kentucky and Ohio State will be getting the death penalty soon... :rolleyes:

While I'd like to know more specific details about how Zips basketball has benefited from the LeBron connection, KD makes it pretty clear in this article that it does help recruiting:

“We get to recruit a lot of good players because of LeBron, because of the connection with LeBron.”

"I think it’s a good connection, I think it will stay a good connection and it’s a connection we have to have to take the program to the next level. Without him, it’s a little harder.”

"The kids we recruit, they just know he’s good so as long as we are connected to him, then we’re good.”

Dambrot was questioned about if LeBron hurts him now post-"Decision"...he responded by saying nice things and saying he helps...

We all agree that he helps...but where's the proof that he helps in a significant way?

Find me one current, former, or future Zip quoted that LBJ had ANY impact on them attending UA and I'll believe he has a serious impact. Until there is actual evidence (KD saying nice things about his former player doesn't qualify) of LBJ having a major impact on our recruiting, that argument just doesn't hold up.

I wonder how different this thread would read if LBJ still played for the Cavs. I'm guessing "extremely" (minus one member).

Not really...again, nobody is arguing that he hurts us. We're debating how much he helps...whether it's a significant amount or not.

I'm not a fan of James, but his association to UA doesn't bother me...it can't hurt. LeBron James, who does have an impact on recruits and chooses to help OSU and UK but not UA, getting credit for Keith Dambrot and his coaching staff's efforts does bother me.

..... We all agree that he helps...but where's the proof that he helps in a significant way? .....

Well said. That about sums it up for me. I'd be happy if LeBron's association with the program was the tie-breaker in the decision of a recruit or two to take UA's offer over an offer from another winning mid-major program. It may have already made the difference with a Zips player or two, but that's pure speculation because we've yet to see any proof of that.

Well said. That about sums it up for me. I'd be happy if LeBron's association with the program was the tie-breaker in the decision of a recruit or two to take UA's offer over an offer from another winning mid-major program. It may have already made the difference with a Zips player or two, but that's pure speculation because we've yet to see any proof of that.

Agreed. I'm not saying it hasn't helped or it won't, just that there is no measurable proof that it has. Until I see evidence of an LBJ recruiting impact, I'll continue to give full credit to Keith Dambrot and his staff, who have - in my opinion - done a hell of a job recruiting.

@UAZip0510, we're definitely in agreement that if KD has the LeBron factor to add to his other recruiting tools, it may produce a small advantage in some cases. If recruits choose UA over other schools based on the total package that KD presents, the LeBron factor may be part of the winning edge without even being obvious to KD or the recruits. It's just part of the total package, and no Zips recruit may ever say that LeBron's support of the Zips program was the deal sealer.

Even those Zips fans who aren't so hot on LeBron should wish that the total package KD has to offer recruits is better than that offered by coaches from other schools who UA often competes against in the recruiting wars -- all within the spirit and letter of the NCAA rules, of course. ;)

What ncaa rules are being broken by having a James sponsored basketball tournament on campus?

I don't know. Actually, I don't believe any rules at all were being broken. But the NCAA came up with, what seemed to me an arbitrary policy, that AAU tournaments couldn't be held on college campuses before a certain date. IIRC, it only effected LeBron's K.J. Tourney. Maybe someone else with more time could get better details (Dave). But it just smelled like the NCAA was arbitrarily singling out UA & LeBron's tourney.

The King James AAU Tourney, btw, was where I saw Zeke for the first time. He was playing in the student rec center. I also had the privilege of meeting Momma Zeke.

@Blue & Gold, the local (NEO) media angle on the new NCAA rules focused on the local tournament (King James) and made it appear that it was being singled out.

The national media put it more in perspective, with many tournaments across the country being affected. The story below speculates that the NCAA rules were designed to reduce the power and influence of AAU coaches and return it more to high school coaches, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your point of view.

Another Blow to Grassroots Basketball

I don't know. Actually, I don't believe any rules at all were being broken. But the NCAA came up with, what seemed to me an arbitrary policy, that AAU tournaments couldn't be held on college campuses before a certain date. IIRC, it only effected LeBron's K.J. Tourney. Maybe someone else with more time could get better details (Dave). But it just smelled like the NCAA was arbitrarily singling out UA & LeBron's tourney.

The King James AAU Tourney, btw, was where I saw Zeke for the first time. He was playing in the student rec center. I also had the privilege of meeting Momma Zeke.

So you came on, called our discussion dumb, then just threw something out there rules-wise that you didn't even know was true or not (and it's not)?

:thumb:

I believe LBJ is a nice connection for KD but other a pair of shoes and possibily a set of uniforms LBJ's impact isn't what I wish it was. LBJ does show up occassionally during the summer and plays in some pickup games and is very approachable but that's about it.

I'd love to learn he contributes in a big way to assist with recruiting, travel and facility improvements but I have no idea if that's the case or not. Maybe he does but he insists UA & KD keep it quiet. As far as impacting recruiting, I'm afraid his relationship with KD has no bearing on this aspect of UA basketball.

Someday, I'd like to walk into LBJ arena, across the street from Canal Park but for now I'll be happy to hear he donates all the teams uniforms, shoes, warmups and t-shirts.

I'll close by saying I'm thankful for whatever level of support LBJ decides upon; after all, his relationship is with KD and not UA.

....for now I'll be happy to hear he donates all the teams uniforms, shoes, warmups and t-shirts.
I'm going to guess, for most ZN members, this is what irks them the most.

LBJ made $44 million in 2011.

Lets assume he donated what you say he did. What is the total value of that donation?

Lets assume you made $100,000 in 2011.

Now what monetary donation can you make that would equal LBJ's "donation" to progrum?

Can someone figure it out?

lbjmoney.png

I believe LBJ is a nice connection for KD but other a pair of shoes and possibily a set of uniforms LBJ's impact isn't what I wish it was. LBJ does show up occassionally during the summer and plays in some pickup games and is very approachable but that's about it.

If his donation is some shoes and a set of uniforms, his donations are zero. He has enough pull with Nike that he could get them to give these products to UofA.

I've never been impressed by his showing up and playing some games. The guy is a professional basketball player and plays to stay in shape...Summer is the eve of basketball training camp so he really has to keep himself in shape. While in Akron, UofA provides him the closest place he can go play in a professional setting and against some players who can provide him some challenge. He isn't really giving anything when he does this. In many ways, he is taking our court time from us for little in return.