89 replies to this topic

#16 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

He is, by far, our biggest asset to gaining any national publicity. AND it's free. That's the point.

Our basketball players are our biggest asset to gain publicity. If they play well, people around the country see them on TV and see there is something good going on at UofA. If they fall short, we hope for another mention about James in an SI article or some other publication.
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#17 UAZip0510

UAZip0510

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Zips players are familiar with LeBron. They've played basketball with him. They have a relationship with him. Facilitating a relationship with the greatest basketball player on the planet is a nice perk, and benefits Zips recruiting.

Everyone wishes LeBron would do more visible for UA...like toss-in a few mil for an arena...but it doesn't seem like he's in a hurry to do it.

But having a relationship with the guy helps Dambrot contact recruits that otherwise wouldn't consider UA. Maybe it isn't their 1st or even 2nd reason for considering UA (if a kid chooses his college solely because he got a phone call from LeBron, he has issues), but it's an edge that no other mid-major has.

Michael Jordan was at the JAR?

In all seriousness, I don't think it helps or hurts as much as either side argues. Any time you're mentioned in a national publication it's a good thing. At the same time, this stood out to me:

"He trained with his first coach at St. Vincent--St. Mary High, Keith Dambrot, who had barely worked with him since he was a rookie."

I'm sure they keep in contact, but I don't think LeBron is as close to this program as some would like him to be. He's not calling recruits (and recruits aren't coming because of him), he's not helping with the arena, and he's no longer holding his camp here. That's fine - he didn't go here, and he shouldn't be expected to do any of this.

He occasionally tweets something nice about us, shows up a few times over the summer, and that's about it...and that's OK.

#18 UAZip0510

UAZip0510

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Andy Katz saved me some typing

However, Marshall said he chose Akron because of its information technology department, along with his ability to connect with Dambrot and his staff. He said Akron was the first school to recruit him in the ninth grade, and even though a number of high majors were recruiting him, he is sticking with his commitment to the Zips. "I would like to be the person that they can build on," Marshall said. Marshall said he didn't even know there was a James connection to the school until he came for his visit.

"LeBron didn't make me see it, but when I did get here, I did realize that LeBron was an asset for the school," Marshall said. "I didn't know that he supported the school or that he grew up here."

From what I've gathered, Zeke came to Akron because we recruited him early and sold him on our academic programs. Maybe Mama Zeke can chime in on how much LeBron impacted Zeke signing a LOI here.

Again, I'm not saying the LeBron connection hurts, so I don't mind it...I just don't think it helps nearly as much as some believe it does.

#19 GameChngr44

GameChngr44

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

From what I've gathered, Zeke came to Akron because we recruited him early and sold him on our academic programs. Maybe Mama Zeke can chime in on how much LeBron impacted Zeke signing a LOI here.

0, ZILCH, NADA, NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER

#MomagerSwagg In Full Effect

#20 zippy5

zippy5

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Right and since it wasn't the reason Zeke came here, then we can obviously conclude that no player has considered it in the past 8 seasons :rolleyes:

#21 LZip

LZip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

Right and since it wasn't the reason Zeke came here, then we can obviously conclude that no player has considered it in the past 8 seasons :rolleyes:

show me a link. The burden of proof is on all of you. Capn' Kangaroo's link proved no such thing.

I admire that he gives back to UA, shows up here a few times a year, etc. However, stating this publicity as being priceless if just asinine.

#22 skip-zip

skip-zip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

show me a link. The burden of proof is on all of you. Capn' Kangaroo's link proved no such thing.

I admire that he gives back to UA, shows up here a few times a year, etc. However, stating this publicity as being priceless if just asinine.

I'd say that's about 100 times less asinine as stating that it has no impact.

"Priceless" might not be the right word, but would you like to venture a guess at what it would cost to pay one of the greatest celebrity/athletes in the world to talk about the U of A ?

#23 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

“It has been a huge coup for Dambrot.”

“Dambrot has received unprecedented advertising for his program.”

"There's no question that this allows us to get with better players now that we're one of his main people [in gear] and that he plays open gym here and put his camp here and the AAU event here," Dambrot said.

“We've found that the LeBron connection helps us.”

“James said he recognizes that by putting the tournaments in Akron, he has given the city and the school a place on the college basketball recruiting map.”

"LeBron didn't make me see it, but when I did get here, I did realize that LeBron was an asset for the school," Marshall said.
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#24 Keener'92

Keener'92

Titan of the Tankard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

What do y'all think when LeBron refers to UA as Akron U when he's giving some of that publicity? Just curious.

#25 Captain Kangaroo

Captain Kangaroo

UA Intramural Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

What do y'all think when LeBron refers to UA as Akron U when he's giving some of that publicity? Just curious.

If Dambrot calls the University Akron U, why can't James?
"95% of all excuses are probably true. And 100% of them are unacceptable."

-Denny Green-

#26 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,920 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

@Keener'92, my best guess is that no one has changed their opinion about the use by anyone of the term Akron U from their previously stated opinions in past ZN.o discussions. Some people are just way more sensitive about it than others. :)

#27 Roo

Roo

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Basketball and video games baby!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

And with all of his AAU tournaments and all of the tweets, we have yet to land any player that actually was above the Akron program in stature except for Zeke who came on his own merits. Yeah, a lot of players get to play here via Lebron and he talks about the school, that's great. But it does nothing to help the program.
Fear The Roo

#28 UAZip0510

UAZip0510

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

“It has been a huge coup for Dambrot.”

“Dambrot has received unprecedented advertising for his program.”

"There's no question that this allows us to get with better players now that we're one of his main people [in gear] and that he plays open gym here and put his camp here and the AAU event here," Dambrot said.

“We've found that the LeBron connection helps us.”

“James said he recognizes that by putting the tournaments in Akron, he has given the city and the school a place on the college basketball recruiting map.”

"LeBron didn't make me see it, but when I did get here, I did realize that LeBron was an asset for the school," Marshall said.

Sounds like Dambrot and Zeke saying nice things about LeBron and his "UA impact" because they knew the writer was writing an article about LeBron.

It's interesting that the writer - who surely had full access to interview any Zips player - had zero quotes from current players saying he had any kind of impact on them signing with UA. I've never heard a recruit being quoted that LeBron's high school ties to Dambrot had anything to do with them signing with UA. Until one does, I just can't buy the argument that his impact is any more than minimal at best. It doesn't hurt, but his impact to this program is completely overblown.

#29 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,920 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone saying that LeBron has had a major, measurable impact on the Zips basketball program. If someone has actually made this claim, then I think all the rest of us would like to see some measurable proof. Otherwise, I think we're all mostly in agreement that associating LeBron with Zips basketball has the potential to do more good than harm, but we've yet to see evidence that the potential has been realized.

#30 UAZip0510

UAZip0510

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone saying that LeBron has had a major, measurable impact on the Zips basketball program. If someone has actually made this claim, then I think all the rest of us would like to see some measurable proof. Otherwise, I think we're all mostly in agreement that associating LeBron with Zips basketball has the potential to do more good than harm, but we've yet to see evidence that the potential has been realized.

CK made the claim that LeBron benefits our recruiting (which would certainly impact our program) , while some (like myself) respectfully disagree due to lack of evidence.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users