Tressel Watch

Something tells me Swisher has $50 million more reasons to play for Cleveland than Tressel. Tressel and Urban M. getting involved in something like this is just stupid beyond words. Really, what's the point? He's a 32 year old major league baseball player with an actress wife who has played for one of the top three sports franchises in the world and has a World Series ring....not a 17 year old high school kid.

Will it make a difference? Probably not. However, coaches coming together to help out another sports team in Ohio is not "dumb" to me at all. I think I would call it having pride in the state you are from.

Per ESPN:

Swisher and his wife, actress JoAnna Garcia, who is expecting the couple's first child in May, were at Progressive Field on Dec. 18 for a tour of the team's facilities, including the club's family room and a lunch with Francona, team executives and former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel.

Swisher and his wife were shown a suite and the team's clubhouse before the Indians tugged at Swisher's Ohio State connections to convince him Cleveland should be his next baseball home. Swisher played baseball for the Buckeyes.

The Indians played a video on their scoreboard that featured current Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer and basketball coach Thad Matta, who encouraged Swisher to join the Indians. Swisher was moved by the gesture and didn't expect to see Tressel at lunch in the stadium's Terrace Club.

Congratulations to Tressel et al for helping to bring in a career .256 player now on the wrong side of thirty. I guess "coming home" is a good enough reason to play for a team that is willing to overpay for your services. Nice work Tressel. You are money well spent.on what, I have no idea. How long will it be until NE Ohio fans begin to see Tressel as the savior of the Indians and begin to call for him to be manager of the team?

• 4 weeks later...
Your 'Tressel to YSU as the President' article reminds me of this thread. Is it odd that a YSU writer is advising against hiring Tressel????

“The commitment I’ve made to any place I’ve gone is I was going to work every day like I was going to be there forever,” he said.

“So my commitment to the University of Akron, I’m going to work like this is the last place I’ll ever work."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Tress was among a group who had lunch on Tuesday at Progressive Field with Nick Swisher (even mentions his position with Akron in article).

Good riddance to the worst OSU cheerleader to put on a Cleveland uniform!

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2015/08/cleveland_indians_nick_swisher_2.html#incart_2box_sports_index.ssf

• Like 2

Although Mike Miller gave him a good run for his money with the Cavs last season, I fixed it for you. Im not much of a baseball fan, but do follow/root for the Indians because they are a Cleveland team. This signing couldn't have been more of a dud. I read where Bourn (overall he underperformed, but had a good first year and showed improvement before he got trade) and Swisher (aside from sucking in general, the guy spent more time on DL/AA than with the Indians AND was the highest paid athlete in Cleveland before Haden/Kyrie extensions) accounted for 1/3 of the Indians payroll. I think the organization is pretty close, hopefully they can bring in some quality guys that you can count on in next season to take that next step.

Shap and Alto successfully corrected four of their mistakes by dumping $45 million from the payroll that netted 17 home runs this year. Next up, Santana ($6.2 million for .225 and 11 HR).

Once their done cleaning up their disaster, they need to be fired and replaced by someone who can find power hitters in free agency and know the amateur draft from a hole in their head. In the meantime, it's a lot of fun watching Lonnie Chisenhall (our five year failed project at 3B) floundering around right field like a 50 year old beer league softball player. :eek:

• 1 year later...

Tress is doing good things at YSU. Don't think I'll ever get over that huge whiff the BoT and faculty made by appointing Scarby over him. If only he had a doctorate. :rolleyes:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170211/NEWS/170219960/jim-tressel-tackles-youngstown-states-problems-with-grit?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social