Spring Football in Akron -

Quite honestly, the financial risk MAClike schools have right now should scare the heck out of a fan of those schools. It worries me. The BCS guys are about to take all of the money and run with us holding nothing but our wieners in our hands. Now is the time to get in front of this in lieu of always following behind like MAClike schools do.

To do that you would need to know whether the superleague is made up of the top 32-36 programs, or entire conferences (no matter how shitty half of the programs are).

I gotta tell ya, I'm excited about the whole thing if the first option happens, and we wind up with the Pitts, WVU's, Cincys, and Indianas. Spring or fall.

30,000 seat stadium

5,000 seat stadiums

outdoor practice field

full indoor field

weight rooms

dorms

great urban location

...seems like a pretty good resume.

Make it happen UA! Great opportunity to show off our beautiful campus and generate revenue for surrounding businesses.

Snowballs chance in Hell of us hosting the Browns training camp.

Agreed. Akron doesn't have enough of what they are looking for. Meaning, grass fields.

Let's hope they don't spend any more than 15 minutes putting together a proposal.

Snowballs chance in Hell of us hosting the Browns training camp.

Agreed. Akron doesn't have enough of what they are looking for. Meaning, grass fields.

Let's hope they don't spend any more than 15 minutes putting together a proposal.

Summer seems like a big dead space for sports, with nothing but major league baseball and hours of coverage of NFL training camps :cry:

Too bad it doesn't fit into the academic year.

The key questions about hosting Browns training camp are whether it makes economic sense for UA and whether it doesn't interfere with Zips programs. If it doesn't pass those two tests, forget it. If it does and if UA meets all of the other conditions aside from grass field space, there are ways to remedy that. One example would be to convert the baseball diamond to 100% grass and move all Zips baseball games to Canal Park. UA needs to get specifics from the Browns on exactly how many square feet of grass fields are required and look at options from there. Looking at an aerial view of the Browns current facility in Berea, it doesn't look to me as if they require all that much in the way of grass fields.

• Like 1

They want grass fields, which is unfortunate because we could provide 3 very nice artificial turf fields, one of them is indoor.

As for grass fields, I don't think Cub Cadet Field should be considered because American football would ruin our beautiful soccer pitch. Regardless of the benefits of having the Browns practice in Akron, that field should not be torn up for practices.

Other grass fields to consider, the Lee Jackson Track field (has space limitations), and the field near Manny's where they moved the tennis courts (also has space limitations).

Can't has similar issues regarding their turf stadium and indoor facility, but have 2 open grass fields near Dix Staidum, and a grass soccer field (not a beautiful pitch or program worth the consideration).

I don't think it would be simple for the UA to allow the Browns to use Cub Cadet Field as there would probably be strong resistance from both of our soccer programs and from our soccer supporters.

As for grass fields, I don't think Cub Cadet Field should be considered because American football would ruin our beautiful soccer pitch.

I'm not sure about that, but I'd be concerned about the field.

• Like 1

I think you're right, Hilltopper. Just look at the first thing Pettine mentioned in his own list of criteria during Friday's news conference:

“I think the first thing you look at is when you’re talking [is] safety for your players. The condition of the fields is very important,” he said. “Having ample grass practice fields, that’s important. ..."

• 8 years later...