A new question

When I lived on campus, there was a mens residence tower (maybe 16 stories) right next to to the dining hall. A two story womens hall across the path. An two other residences, I think for women.

Anyone remember the names of those residences? I think, looking at the map, they are different today, if they even still exist.

When I lived on campus, there was a mens residence tower (maybe 16 stories) right next to to the dining hall. A two story womens hall across the path. An two other residences, I think for women.

Anyone remember the names of those residences? I think, looking at the map, they are different today, if they even still exist.

Spanton and Sisler-Mcfawn

The other two, probably being Orr and Bulger?

I believe the two towers are Bulger (the taller one) and Spanton, both built in the mid-1970s along with Robertson Dining Hall. There were three (?) smaller, two-story dorms (Orr, Sisler-McFawn and Richey) right nearby. On-campus housing in those days was pretty slim, with only about 1,000 or so students living on campus. I think they built the townhouses on Grant Street for married grad students next, but that was a drop in the bucket. Interesting tidbit, there was a very nice meeting room on the top of Bulger Hall. On a clear day, you had an amazing view of the Little Cuyahoga and Cuyahoga valleys and could see the Cleveland skyline very clearly. Very cool.

Truth be told, the Board of Regents at that time strongly opposed ALL on-campus housing at Akron and Toledo, primarily because BGSU, Can't and Ohio had just expanded their on-campus housing pretty dramatically, mostly on the state's dime. Their vision for UA was that it remain a commuter school serving a strictly regional market. It was similar to Columbus' strong opposition to the JAR being a true basketball arena, as opposed to a "physical education" building.

Fortunately, it seems you can't keep a great university down. B)

P.S. A minor piece of Bulger Hall trivia. The Board of Trustees held a special meeting in the room at the top of Bulger when then President Marion Ruebel unveiled the architectural and initial financing plans for the Landscape for Learning. That was a huge day in the history of the University.

I believe the two towers are Bulger (the taller one) and Spanton, both built in the mid-1970s along with Robertson Dining Hall. There were three (?) smaller, two-story dorms (Orr, Sisler-McFawn and Richey) right nearby. On-campus housing in those days was pretty slim, with only about 1,000 or so students living on campus. I think they built the townhouses on Grant Street for married grad students next, but that was a drop in the bucket. Interesting tidbit, there was a very nice meeting room on the top of Bulger Hall. On a clear day, you had an amazing view of the Little Cuyahoga and Cuyahoga valleys and could see the Cleveland skyline very clearly. Very cool.

Truth be told, the Board of Regents at that time strongly opposed ALL on-campus housing at Akron and Toledo, primarily because BGSU, Can't and Ohio had just expanded their on-campus housing pretty dramatically, mostly on the state's dime. Their vision for UA was that it remain a commuter school serving a strictly regional market. It was similar to Columbus' strong opposition to the JAR being a true basketball arena, as opposed to a "physical education" building.

Fortunately, it seems you can't keep a great university down. B)

P.S. A minor piece of Bulger Hall trivia. The Board of Trustees held a special meeting in the room at the top of Bulger when then President Marion Ruebel unveiled the architectural and initial financing plans for the Landscape for Learning. That was a huge day in the history of the University.

Good stuff, Co82! You're spot on with the residence hall info. I lived in Torrey Hall, one of two smaller dorms (Sumner the other) south of Exchange, for my 1st 2 years at UA.

@akronzips71 - how could you forget the name of your dorm? You must have been one crazy party animal :bow:

Golfed with a guy yesterday from Pittsburgh, his daughter is considering schools now. He saw my Zippy headcover and asked about Akron and the soccer team... "Akron, it's a lot better of a school then like Can't State right?" I was like heck yeah! Pretty pumped about that. Also another example of the perception outside of Akron being way better than that of locals.

Golfed with a guy yesterday from Pittsburgh, his daughter is considering schools now. He saw my Zippy headcover and asked about Akron and the soccer team... "Akron, it's a lot better of a school then like Can't State right?" I was like heck yeah! Pretty pumped about that. Also another example of the perception outside of Akron being way better than that of locals.

I'm a recent graduate of The University of Akron. It provided with me with a lot of opportunities when it came to internships, classes, connections, etc. That said, there is NO WAY that Akron, overall, is a better school than Can't State.

I'm a recent graduate of The University of Akron. It provided with me with a lot of opportunities when it came to internships, classes, connections, etc. That said, there is NO WAY that Akron, overall, is a better school than Can't State.

I heard that!

Akron doesn't even offer fashion as a major!

Or a Ph.D. in Business.

Unless you want to be a business professor, who needs a Ph.D. in business? For industry as a business person, the M.B.A. is a more appropriate terminal degree, is it not?

Ph.D.'s in the sciences and engineering are valuable for R & D. And I would think someone who does a Ph.D. in economics and/or mathematical modeling is doing business research. So what's the value of a Ph.D. in business? Just curious...I honestly don't know.

seriously?

Yes, seriously. Akron has great engineering programs. That's awesome. The business school is above average, but more than anything it's a bargain. The School of Communication is well-funded, but the professors are pretty unimpressive and the students are, well, 13 ACT students for the most part. Once you get past those departments, you hit a bunch of community college-level programs.

Can't State offers more than one or two good programs. Their journalism program is among the best in the nation. They're one of the only schools in this part of the country to offer a BA in sign language. You might make fun of their fashion program, but it's a top ten program. Check it out.

Again, I'm a proud graduate of The University of Akron, but I'm not blind.

you are seriously limiting in your evaluation of academic strength at The University of Akron. The number of excellent programs at our school is much broader than you have listed. From the Bliss Institute to History, Psych, Music, Law, Chemistry, Speech Aud. Nursing, etc, there are many strong areas. I have taken graduate work at both Akron and Can't (in one of their "best" programs)- Can't is ok but not at the level of Akron (my Akron courses were not in one of the areas you cited). My undergraduate courses were taken at one of America's "top" schools. The University of Akron, of course, does enroll some weak students. A proper evaluation should be the quality of its output- not the quality of its input. Be proud of The University of Akron- it is better than you think in more areas than you realize.

Unless you want to be a business professor, who needs a Ph.D. in business? For industry as a business person, the M.B.A. is a more appropriate terminal degree, is it not?

Ph.D.'s in the sciences and engineering are valuable for R & D. And I would think someone who does a Ph.D. in economics and/or mathematical modeling is doing business research. So what's the value of a Ph.D. in business? Just curious...I honestly don't know.

PhD Programs attract more prestigious faculty that along with PhD candidates produce lots of high quality research. Believe it or not, research plays a huge role even in business.

Can't State offers more than one or two good programs. Their journalism program is among the best in the nation. They're one of the only schools in this part of the country to offer a BA in sign language. You might make fun of their fashion program, but it's a top ten program. Check it out.

:bow::rofl:

Wow. Proof positive that :screwks:

I consider a degree useful when it, you know, gets you a job. I'm sure the fashion and sign language industries are really hiring like crazy right now.

Sure, they're smaller job industries. Maybe that's why Can't State's programs are considered unique programs? Fewer people get those degrees because there are fewer jobs in those areas. It doesn't mean they're automatically useless. Get it?

:wall:

Zesty,

Let me get this straight...

You are a so-called Akron Zips fan...

On the Akron Zips fans message board...

Engaging in back & forth, arguing on behalf of Can't State University?

Would it be wrong of me to consider nominating you for

douche1.jpg

Sure, they're smaller job industries. Maybe that's why Can't State's programs are considered unique programs? Fewer people get those degrees because there are fewer jobs in those areas. It doesn't mean they're automatically useless. Get it?

:wall:

Smaller industries = less grads getting jobs, right? Wouldn't you rather your school place more students into jobs from its marquee programs?

Zesty,

Let me get this straight...

You are a so-called Akron Zips fan...

On the Akron Zips fans message board...

Engaging in back & forth, arguing on behalf of Can't State University?

This isn't about Zip athletics. I haven't said anything about sports. I'm talking about supporting higher education in this area. There's no reason to rip a nationally respected school just because of some barely-existent sports rivalry.

If that makes me "Douche of the Month," so be it. Also, by using the word douche, you're a prime example of the type of UA student that contributes to the university's standard of mediocrity.

Zippy,

I won't even bother to respond, as you clearly unable to understand what a university is, or why it should offer more than two degrees.

This isn't about Zip athletics. I haven't said anything about sports. I'm talking about supporting higher education in this area. There's no reason to rip a nationally respected school just because of some barely-existent sports rivalry.

If that makes me "Douche of the Month," so be it. Also, by using the word douche, you're a prime example of the type of UA student that contributes to the university's standard of mediocrity.

Zippy,

I won't even bother to respond, as you clearly unable to understand what a university is, or why it should offer more than two degrees.

Hey zesty,

I think the reason people are responding negatively to you is that your assertions about the University of Akron show that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I don't know if or when you attended Akron, but I attended there from 1977 to 1982, earning a degree in political science. I had good enough test scores to go elsewhere, but circumstances dictated that I live at home and work while going to school. So Akron was my only option. When I arrived on campus, I believed then exactly as you do now. But actual experience often differs from perception, and that was the case with my experience at Akron. While I did indeed meet a lot of under-prepared students due to Akron's open-enrollment policy, the faculty I encountered were generally quite good, even at the survey-course and General College level. As a junior and senior within the political science and history departments, the instruction I received was almost universally first-rate. Yet, as I applied to various graduate programs around the country, there was this fear in the back of my mind that somehow I would not measure up when I got to a "real" school. My GRE and LSAT scores were very good, but I still wondered if I could really cut it.

Fact is, though, I shouldn't have worried. Graduate school at a "real," "selective" university... in my case, the University of Arizona... turned out to be a cakewalk compared to the rigor demanded of me in the poli-sci department at little-old Akron. Not only that, it became apparent to me almost immediately that some classmates of mine from places like UCLA, UC San Diego, Oregon and elsewhere were far less prepared for graduate-level work than I was. I met U of Cal graduates(!) who hadn't even taken an essay test since high school for God's sake! I shudder to think how they might have fared in Paul Weidner's Constitutional Law course at Akron. They would have pissed themselves, I'm quite sure.

So, with all due respect... to hell with your notions of "nationally-respected" universities. And to hell with all the otherwise intelligent folk who can't get it through their thick heads that open enrollment reflects the quality of some incoming students, not the quality of faculty or programming or the quality of the students who actually complete degrees. In short, I'll stack my alma mater's quality against anyone's.

I won't join in calling you a douche, but I gotta tell ya, your posts in this thread don't impress this Akron grad. Far from it.