Akron Local Recruiting Targets

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Am not going to start a new thread, but if you won't be at any of the playoff games tonight and want to watch, you can choose from 10 or so here. Must be a Spectrum/TW subsriber. Barton/Hoban and Mentor/Iggy are very intriguing to me.

http://www.myspectrumsports.com/oh/northeastohio.html

Really pissed Infocision didn’t get picked by OHSAAfor the Barberton Hoban game.  Green High School stadium a little too lottle for this one...

• Like 1

Feel bad for Barberton. Just no match for Hoban, who seemed to have college size and athleticism at every position. That #20 for Hoban, Trayanum, was a beast and only a sophomore. Looks like he's already getting looks from atleast Michigan.

I flipped over and watched the 4th of the Mentor/Iggy game. Really like Mentor's QB. Good leadership, high football IQ, great size, and can run the ball. Led two nice drives for a 4th quarter comeback win.

• Like 1

Tatarunas leads Mentor to another thrilling come from behind D1 Ohio playoff win, first beating higher ranked St Eds two weeks ago, tonight beating #1 St Ignatious in another come from behind win.  No Noise, Just Poise.  A Ben Rothliesberger clone.  Still looking for a D1 offer.  Akron,  what are you waiting for?

On 10/21/2017 at 8:18 AM, LZIp said:

Buchtel had a big upset of East last night.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/high-school/city-series/high-school-football-buchtel-15-east-13-brandon-mcginnis-devin-west-lead-griffins-to-city-series-victory

Powers, Buchtel's coach, had good things to say about Floyd (and Bridges).

I haven’t paid much attention to city series teams since I moved out of my parents house when I was in college 20 years ago, (my dad was an Ellet alum so I attended some of those games despite not being In the Akron district)but hearing buchtel upset east is mind blowing to me. Buchtel, the now defunct Garfield, and maybe Ellet were the powers. 

East seems to be the new bully on the block... but we'll see if they sustain their success.  East has won the City Series 2 years in a row now.  Buchtel's still tough, though. It's a shame neither made the playoffs, as both could have made some noise.  

Garfield has really fallen off.  They're now combined with Kenmore & presently the school's called "Kenmore-Garfield."  Idk if they're going to change that name, or not.  They kept the maroon & gold colors & the rams mascot, so it wasn't really a merger of two equals.  Lots of tradition @ Garfield.

Firestone cranks out some nice individual talent once-in-a-while, but they rarely have a team to write home about.  North is abysmal.  Last year Ellet was very good; this year they were awful. So, who knows.

Not sure there are any recruiting targets at either school, but Friday night The U is hosting an OHSAA Division IV State Championship semi-final between #1 ranked Steubenville (13-0) and #5 ranked Shelby (also 13-0)  at 7:30, if there's anyone needing more football this weekend.

13 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Not sure there are any recruiting targets at either school, but Friday night The U is hosting an OHSAA Division IV State Championship semi-final between #1 ranked Steubenville (13-0) and #5 ranked Shelby (also 13-0)  at 7:30, if there's anyone needing more football this weekend.

Shelby's quarterback was set to Row his Boat to Minnesota, but he decommitted yesterday and flipped to Virginia.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Hoban Three-peats as D-II state champs. I know we have a commitment from an OL there, but are we targeting anybody else on the Knights? We have one of the absolute best programs in the state literally less than half a mile from campus.

At least for this year, we've also offered their WR Nate Bauer who is committed to Toledo. They also have other guys going to high power 5 programs on the line. I'm not sure if any other are D-1 prospects this year, but I would guess so if I were a betting man.

Outside of that, other players like their QB and RBs are all under classman I believe.

They were up 42-14 on Winton Woods at the half. Seems they let up in the 2nd half. Makes me feel less bad about Barbeton getting spanked as it looks like Hoban is just that good. I would have liked to see them play for the D1 title just for the heck of it.

Here is an article from the Ravenna Record Courier.  It talks about 3 players that play for Hoban from K.ent and 2 from Ravenna.

It states that Hoban S/WR Matt Salopek (6-2, 190) has verballed to Akron. :rock:

That'd be a huge get.  He's only a junior, so would be included in the 2019 recruiting class.  Matt, as a junior, is a 2-year starter for Hoban at S, and was named 1st-Team All-Ohio D-II.

Admittedly, this is the only place I've seen it published that Matt has verballed to UA.  It's not on his twitter feed.

Edited by Blue & Gold