Porter to Portland?

With Portland's season almost over and no playoff hope, I wouldn't think he'd leave until after the Zips current season if he accepts their offer. Whether it's with Portland or another team, I fear this will probably be our last year with Caleb Porter. Winning a second national title would be a great way to go out.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sad. Hopefully there won't be transfers and we will keep current verbal recruits.

With the facilities, talent and recent history, we should be able to lure another top coach.

This is what winning teams go through. Sad as it is.

Has Porter's acceptance been confirmed?

All the speculation goes back to that one guy's tweet and article. Reporters who don't want to give credit to someone else just call it "sources".

Unattributed sources have named me to succeed Porter as head coach.

been following this on twitter pretty closely. seems like the writing is on the wall, sad day for akron soccer.

still don't think its the smartest move to make when you think of the volitility of mls coaching jobs and how much money he is making here between his salary and camps.

What twitter accounts are you referring to? It doesn't seem like there is information either way, from what I can gather.

Beacon Journal Article

“We’re aware of the speculation,” UA spokesman Paul Warner said Monday afternoon. “There is nothing that I can confirm at this point.”

Warner proceeded to say that Porter guided the Zips team through a practice Monday morning and that he was unavailable for comment.

A voice message was left on Porter’s phone.

Beacon Journal Article

“We’re aware of the speculation,” UA spokesman Paul Warner said Monday afternoon. “There is nothing that I can confirm at this point.”

Warner proceeded to say that Porter guided the Zips team through a practice Monday morning and that he was unavailable for comment.

:eek:

:NCAAC::champs:

Beacon Journal Article

Well that is certainly reassuring

Well that is certainly reassuring

I turn on my favorite website, and ... nearly regurgitate my breakfast... :(

Whatever Caleb decides, I wish him the very best. On the other hand... :rolleyes: Say it ain't so coach. At least not till we get another star on our shirts.

Whatever Caleb decides, I wish him the very best. On the other hand... :rolleyes: Say it ain't so coach. At least not till we get another star on our shirts.

I'll wish Caleb the best no matter what he decides to do. He's "family" and always will be; so, I'll support him wherever he goes (as long as it's not another university). However, I sure wish he'd stay at Akron longer. I'd like at least 1 more National Championship before he leaves, and although Portland is one of my favorite MLS teams, their front office seems questionable to me. I'm not sure he'll have the leeway he needs to really be successful there.

The two hosts (whoever they are) and Beaven bring up all the points I would.

Negatives

1. The contract buy-out is 300,000.00 American dollars.

2. The Olympic debacle still stings.

3. No professional coaching experience has he.

4. Just the beginning of the 2012 season. Timing is bad.

5. Timbers front office is in shambles.

6. Short-term prospects at Akron are fantastic.

7. He is almost guaranteed some other professional opportunity.

I sure hope that Coach Porter stays but I wish he and his family the best...whatever his decision is. Coach Porter has been great for the university and the Akron community. Class act.

I wholeheartedly agree. I want Caleb to stay, but I support him in fulfilling his dreams and aspirations. He has done so much for the university and the community.