Transfer from WVU -- Pat Forsythe

If I recall Dakotah was an 8th grade commit to Kentucky and never lived up to his potential. Forsythe was actually on WVU's roster for a year and if you read the articles expected to play a significant part last year as a back-up prior to his injury. Seems quite a bit different.

Euton started playing basketball at a young age, and by the time he reached the 8th grade, he was seen as a basketball prodigy with an unlimited future. But in addition to starting early he also peaked early and never developed into the D-I star that many had predicted.

Forsythe didn't touch a basketball until the 8th grade, and was a nobody through his junior year of HS, when he averaged a mediocre 5 points and 7 rebounds per game. He made a huge leap to elite status in his HS senior season, and was good enough not to redshirt at WV but to immediately be a productive center for Coach Huggins in the Big East until his season-ending injury. No one knows how big his upside might be because he started developing so late and has been developing so fast.

Based on the tapes, he appears to be more athletic than Zeke, and more aggressive to the basket. And while he is supposedly on inch shorter, he is a good 25+ pounds heavier.

Having these two monsters on the court at the same time could make us very very tough.

Based on the little I know about Pat Forsythe at this point, I still can surmise that he has the capacity to not just provide an impact first season, but to seriously upgrade one of Akron's biggest problems -- lack of rebounding! Let's all admit -- Zeke has been a monster defensively, and changed the style of virtually every opponent. but his play away from the rim doesn't allow him to get the number of rebounds we once assumed he would gather. Forsythe's presence will allow Zeke to be, if possible, an ever bigger defensive asset, and I expect his scoring to pick up in his final season as we all do. But a 6-11 Big Man to help out will be like still having the Serb on the floor -- but more so, as Cvetinovic (sp?) was smaller and not that consistent. Well on the other hand, Pat's just a freshman... :P Can we pencil him in for MAC Newcomer of the Year yet? ;)

Well we could, but 'Melo might have something to say about that! :D

Neither will probably get much consideration. Both will be playing relatively limited minutes behind established, veteran starters. Newcomer of the Year will likely go to someone on a MAC West team or on a team like Can't that lost a significant number of seniors this past year.

Despite the rumors, there has been no official confirmation from UA, so lets see how this plays out. We don't have a scholarship, so one of the existing scholarship players would have to leave. I would be worried about him ending up in Portage Co.. They just got rid of Eric Gaines.

Wow! Talk about the best news I heard this summer.

Question remains: where is the scholly coming from?

I can see the rotation being as follows:

PG: Rico, Melo

SG: Walsh, Justice(?)

SF: CG, Q

PF: Tree, Harney

C: Zeke, Forsythe

RS: McAdams, Kretzer

Odd men out: Egner and Deji

After last season, I've been a bit worried about Harney. Not by a lack of effort, at some points he just didn't seem happy at Akron. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but he seemed like someone who could someday want to transfer. I would just hate to lose a contributor from last year, like Harney or Tree. For a transfer from WVU that may not pan out...

My guess would be that we will see Egner transfer out. No real inside information here, just pure speculation. After two years and not much playing time, injuries and with Tree, Harney, Zeke and Pat F. in town there won't be much playing time for him. He could transfer somewhere else this year, use the redshirt and still have two years of eligibility left.

If not Egner my second guess would be either Deji or Justice depending upon which one feels they are least likely to see playing time this year.

My guess would be that we will see Egner transfer out. No real inside information here, just pure speculation. After two years and not much playing time, injuries and with Tree, Harney, Zeke and Pat F. in town there won't be much playing time for him. He could transfer somewhere else this year, use the redshirt and still have two years of eligibility left.

If not Egner my second guess would be either Deji or Justice depending upon which one feels they are least likely to see playing time this year.

Wouldn't mind seeing Egner or Justice transfer out. Nothing against them, I just think the rest of the team can contribute more, and would be tougher players to lose. Only reason I would like to keep Deji is that I've heard he has a lot of potential.

Neither will probably get much consideration. Both will be playing relatively limited minutes behind established, veteran starters. Newcomer of the Year will likely go to someone on a MAC West team or on a team like Can't that lost a significant number of seniors this past year.

Maybe you haven't heard that the people who have seen Carmelo play are saying that he is one of those rare players who has the talent to come to Akron and be a star very quickly. I'd love to see it. A major impact player as a freshman is indeed a rarity.

Maybe you haven't heard that the people who have seen Carmelo play are saying that he is one of those rare players who has the talent to come to Akron and be a star very quickly. I'd love to see it. A major impact player as a freshman is indeed a rarity.

Unless they attend UK. Then they are indeed a common placeity.

Despite the rumors, there has been no official confirmation from UA, so lets see how this plays out. We don't have a scholarship, so one of the existing scholarship players would have to leave. I would be worried about him ending up in Portage Co.. They just got rid of Eric Gaines.

I don't know if anyone posted this article

Coach Bob Huggins told the Charleston Daily Mail Thursday redshirt freshman center Pat Forsythe is transferring to Akron. It's the roster's second sizeable loss of the offseason.

"The explanation I got was he just wants to be closer to home," said Huggins, who had not spoken to Forsythe as of Thursday night and instead heard from Akron coach Keith Dambrot.

Blake Justice is the most maligned player never to play for the Zips.

I don't think anyone has anything against Justice or his ability, it's simply a numbers game.

Locks (10): Zeke, Diggs, Gilliam, Walsh, Abreu, Harney, Tree, Betancourt, McAdams, Forsythe

That leaves three scholarships remaining and Egner, Ibitayo, Justice, and Kretzer to choose from.

Ibitayo receiving playing time when Abreu went down which, coupled with the fact they redshirted Justice instead of Ibitayo, makes me think Deji is ahead of him on the depth chart.

Kretzer is going to be a true freshman, which makes it unlikely that he'd be the one to go.

That leaves Justice and Egner. Egner played last year, which leads some to believe Justice may be the odd man out. I think it could be either.

Again, whichever it might be, it's nothing against them personally or their ability level, it's just a numbers game.

Physicians have a name for it. Pharmaceutical companies are working on a medication to treat it.

It's called premature speculation.

This is the best insight of the entire thread.

There is no official statement of any kind.

Speculating as to who is out is silly. Especially

since no one has any clue to the abilities of these

players. Kretzer, for one, is bigger, taller and more

aggressive than McAdams. Zeke Marshall has

become a man. And none of you have seen him

in the past few months. I have. GameChanger44

knows her son. He will dominate this coming year.

There are several ways to add a player without

back stabbing a current player. Wait for a news

release. No one should be cut loose for an untested

player.

This is the best insight of the entire thread.

There is no official statement of any kind.

Speculating as to who is out is silly. Especially

since no one has any clue to the abilities of these

players. Kretzer, for one, is bigger, taller and more

aggressive than McAdams. Zeke Marshall has

become a man. And none of you have seen him

in the past few months. I have. GameChanger44

knows her son. He will dominate this coming year.

There are several ways to add a player without

back stabbing a current player. Wait for a news

release. No one should be cut loose for an untested

player.

OK, excuse the dumb question, BUT

Would it be possible to put McAdams, who was heavily recruited as a football player, on the football roster and give him a football scholly? I don't think anything stops him from sitting on the bench at the info and also playing hoops.

I know in general you probably can't hide a hoops scholarship this way, but Reggie was offered by several schools for football, so he is a legit football recruit.

OK, excuse the dumb question, BUT

Would it be possible to put McAdams, who was heavily recruited as a football player, on the football roster and give him a football scholly? I don't think anything stops him from sitting on the bench at the info and also playing hoops.

I know in general you probably can't hide a hoops scholarship this way, but Reggie was offered by several schools for football, so he is a legit football recruit.

Why not just have him play football, has to be an improvement over what we have right?

Pardon my premature speculation disorder, but IMHO (not to take the position of HC from KD, but I haven't heard a word out of our head man on this subject), I can see no reasonable argument for not seriously considering Forsythe at power forward (as well as moving him to the 5 when Zeke sits). Having two MEN of 6-11 or above on the floor would throw contortions into opposing coaches (especially in the MAC) attempting to find a way of defensing either by himself. And it would make Zeke a better player, I think. For those who fear Harney or Tree getting fewer minutes, I would counter with the threat of Akron winning more games.

Pardon my premature speculation disorder, but IMHO (not to take the position of HC from KD, but I haven't heard a word out of our head man on this subject), I can see no reasonable argument for not seriously considering Forsythe at power forward (as well as moving him to the 5 when Zeke sits). Having two MEN of 6-11 or above on the floor would throw contortions into opposing coaches (especially in the MAC) attempting to find a way of defensing either by himself. And it would make Zeke a better player, I think. For those who fear Harney or Tree getting fewer minutes, I would counter with the threat of Akron winning more games.

OH I agree. In fact, he grew an inch between junior and senior year, and has added something like 45 pounds.

It is quite possible he will be a true 7 footer before he is done.

Having two 7 footers on the court at the same time is just not something that the MAC is built for. It could be one heck of a year.