Spring Football

TXZipFan

Now I know it's a little early but it really is right around the corner. I couldn't wait any longer. Let's do some predictions... who will stand-out or step-up the most in Spring Ball/Game?My Guesses...Jabari Arthur will be the biggest stand-out IMOJermaine Lindsey will also have a big SpringRB Henderson I think will lock down the starting job at RB as wellGetsy will become more polished and in-sync with the WR's too

Back-up QB... I think it's gonna be Carlton Jackson, I think he's better than Chris Jaquemain and I would think Sean Hakes is going to be redshirted most likely. BUT I also think that when it comes down to it I'm gonna go with Hakes having the most suprising spring game (2nd to Getsy), but regardless he'll be redshirted so he's not the back-up.

A word on the D-line:Robinson is a transfer, not a prop, and will be participating in spring practice.Out of everyone else, Kevin Garner is the only one still in school and "with" the team. Terry failed out, Marshall is gone, Hight is gone. Nate Robinson will be a huge addition but we are not going to have the deep D-line we thought we would. These are the dangers of bringing in Props. Garner always had the grades, he just couldn't get the test scores, so he wasn't really a risk. The other three should've never been brought in in the first place.

I guess some of the other DT's are gonna have to step it up. I'm interested to see how the OL transfer from Minnesota, Jason Sekinger, performs this spring. He could be a real good addition.
Word is right now he's stuggling with his weight and mobility. Sitting out a year from football did not help. If Dan Bailey and the strength staff can get him to drop about 40 lbs (he's about 360 right now) and gain some strength he could be one heck of a pickup.

The biggest offensive sleeper in my opinion is going to be Brandon Williams. Look for big things from him throughout the spring and into next season. I like Lindsey but he is just to small as of right now. TXZip who is henderson that plays rb? i think you mean the reciever recruit we got from florida. DJ Henderson.Also at runningback i would say Dennis Kennedy will start with Alex Allen will be the number two. maybe Alex will get some starts in a few games next year. On defense there will be no big surprises. There will be open competition at the free saftey spot between Dixon, Brown, Etienne, and Cobham. I think the big question is who will be playing MLB for us next season. it could be between Howe, Balaam, Baker, or anyone else they bring in. i have no idea.

According to In The Zone, Terry, Marshall, and Hight "should've never been brought in in the first place." Would ITZ care to elaborate on what specifically placed these three Prop 48 into the "snbiifp" category.
Athletes who don't put any effort into their grades in high school with coaches, counselors, and mommy and daddy holding their hands sure as heck aren't going to do it in college when they're on their own and hundreds of girls are trying to get in their jocks. If we're going to take chances on props, we should do it on the guys who have the grades but not the test scores, and certainly not the other way around.

That's too bad about Terry and Hight. Not just for us as a team over the next 3 years, but for them personally for the rest of their lives. But Marshall, help me out, who was he? I can't recall.As far as backup QB goes, I haven't seen anyone on our roster other than Getsy even throw a pass! So I'm far from even having an opinion on the subject - let alone a slightly qualified opinion. I must say the videos of Hakes were AWFULLY impressive! But I don't think a true frosh will come in & be the #2 man. Next year = Carlton Jackson. Hopefully we're all pleasantly surprised w/ Carlton!Go Zips!

I guess some of the other DT's are gonna have to step it up. I'm interested to see how the OL transfer from Minnesota, Jason Sekinger, performs this spring. He could be a real good addition.
Jason used to play baseball in HS. Until recently he still had a lot of photos on his HS web site. I wish I still had the one where he was on his knees, and the other players surrounding him were still about eye-to-eye with him!Here's the last survivor as far as I can tell:IMG_00251.JPG

Yea my bad about Henderson the rb I meant Kennedy. I must be too excited for D.J. to get here, freudian slip. Yea I think you're right about Carlton being the back-up but with Hakes's arm I think he'll be the second most impressive. You have to remember that Jackson and Jaquemain have been running scout team and not Akron's offense all fall, so this will be their first "real" reps as well, just like Hakes. Also I would think with Jaquemain's size he would be too big to be a receiver. He just seems too wide, kinda built like a linebacker. Did he play defense in h.s.? Should be an eventful spring... I can't wait for it to start.

as far as back up qb its jackson's to loose kennedy is the starter at running back with the new recruits to get some carries late in the season (if at all) i agree the the interesting battles will be in the secondary and middle linebacker.... baker, howe, and don't forget about jamell benjimen coming back from a knee injury... as far as the secondary goes it could go a number of ways... goes pace come back from injury to start at ss? does that move mackey back to rover? does henry stay at rover or does he go back to conerback? can anderson and tate take over as starters? and there are tons of options at fs..... the best thing to remember is that this is a great problem to have! also i thought i read on a rasor post that height and marshall were in school and doing well and that terry never inrolled? can someone confirm this with a source? :screwks:

Guys I can't wait to see that we haven't seen much/any of...RB Dennis KennedyRB Alex AllenWR Jermaine LindsayQB's Carlton Jackson/Sean HakesTE Jose CruzI am also very interested to see how the D-Line shapes up after losing some of the guys that we thought would be there.