Just hypothetically...

In your opinions, what scenario would most benefit Zips athletics - making the NCAA tourney but getting knocked out in the 1st round, or making it to the Final Four (and Madison Square Garden) of the NIT?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never submitted a "Poll" before, so I hope this is legible. Naturally, I hope our Zips reach the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tourney. But... since this is unlikely to happen THIS year (wait till next year, baby!) what do you guys think would be a more beneficial scenario for our program at this stage - making the NCAA Big Dance, but getting knocked out in the 1st round (not that I'm saying that'll happen - don't hate on me! This is merely for hypothetical fun!). Or, getting upset in the MAC tourney and thus, settling for an NIT bid, but making the Final Four of the NIT & playing @ Madison Square Garden on ESPN?

why would anyone say NIT? wouldn't you want your team to have the experience of going dancing? there are many people across the MAC talking about OU having a run in them just because they did it last year. It's about putting that fear in people. why wouldn't you want to know what it feels like to win a MAC championship if given the opportunity? So, would you honestly rather lose a title and get the consolation prize? who says that?! Who wants to be the first loser? Not me, and not anyone on this basketball team! Go Zips! :nutkick: K E N T, you've been kicked in the nuts! :macc:

Not to take away from your hoops squad, but why would anyone want to go the Not Important Touney?? I'd shoot for the NCAA's baby!! If K E N T cant make it, I'd like to see the Zips make it and do some damage. But that is IF K E N T cant make it! Root for the MAC through the thick of it! This Conference needs respect!

i look at this question as what will help the team in both seasons.... if win the mac this year that would be great but if we are one and done and don't win the mac next year chances are we won't get an at large bid (see Can't st. ) but if we make the nit and make to the final 4 we get great coverage this year and build momentium for next year and will have even a bigger buzz..... either way we should be happy! :screwks:

i look at this question as what will help the team in both seasons.... if win the mac this year that would be great but if we are one and done and don't win the mac next year chances are we won't get an at large bid (see Can't st. ) but if we make the nit and make to the final 4 we get great coverage this year and build momentium for next year and will have even a bigger buzz..... either way we should be happy! :screwks:
that is not a smart opinion... if the goal of any program is to improve the most it can each year, then why not set the bar higher for next year and not settle for anything. that will get our program more recognition. not playing in the Not Invited Tournament, no matter how far we get. THINK BIG! :rock:

first and foremost, we go for the mac championship, period. that is our main goal. wether it means an NIT or NCAA doesn't matter to me. since winning the mac means NCAA, i vote for the NCAA. winning the mac is what give us the best exposure at this point. don't get greedy. are we toledo and would rather lose our conference and win a post season game?

don't get me wrong i'd rather have the title for this season but i am looking at the question over the course of two years.... :screwks:
i am too. but taking the step from NCAA participant to NCAA contender and deep threat is not a big as NIT participant to NCAA contender and deep threat. You have to set your goals high to achieve higher.

first and foremost, we go for the mac championship, period. that is our main goal. wether it means an NIT or NCAA doesn't matter to me. since winning the mac means NCAA, i vote for the NCAA. winning the mac is what give us the best exposure at this point. don't get greedy. are we toledo and would rather lose our conference and win a post season game?
No disrespect to you but any college basketball fan knows the postseason is so much more important than the regular season. One and done after a bad loss to Nevada is about the worst kind of exposure for us. Now if we make it and get an upset in the first round and lose the next round I say NCAA all the way, but as the poll puts it, the NIT final four is much better publicity than one and done in the big dance.With that being said Let's go Zips and win the MAC and make the Sweet 16. That's my pick.oh I almost forgot :screwks:

I voted for NCAA but only because we would be eliminated farther down than the first round! Geeze!!! I don't know much about the NIT, so I am not sure if making it far in that tourney would be big or not. Hell, maybe we would make it to the final vs. Notre Dame!!!

No disrespect to you but any college basketball fan knows the postseason is so much more important than the regular season. One and done after a bad loss to Nevada is about the worst kind of exposure for us. Now if we make it and get an upset in the first round and lose the next round I say NCAA all the way, but as the poll puts it, the NIT final four is much better publicity than one and done in the big dance.
Better exposure? I disagree. The NIT is something for the alsorans. The NCAA is where all the attention is. No, I don't want to play in the big game because we might lose. :unsure::unsure: What kind of fan thinks this way. This is not an attack on you personally, but your thinking is a bit naive. I don't feel bad at all by getting beaten by Nevada. They are a great team and our guys stayed in it for most of the first half. There is no shame in losing to a better team. Sure there would be pride at UA for doing well in the NIT, but no one else would care about that. Also, if we aren't in the NCAA's, we didn't win our conference tournament which can leave teams with good records sitting home wondering what could have been. The NIT is by no means a lock and the NCAA at large is extinct. Take that chore out of those who select the teams and could care less about your school or conference, and win the right to be in the tournament. The NCAA tournament. My 2 1/2 cents. Bash away.

Sheesh! I think Fear the Roo spoke for most of the posters here by saying, "I don't know much about the NIT"!Of COURSE we all want to win the MAC tournament! That hardly needs to be stated, does it?? But this is a program that has only been in the postseason three times in its D-1 history -- and not at all in the past 17 years! The NIT is hardly some sort of booby prize. But there's another reality you need to realize -- the worst team in the NIT is better than about a third of the teams in the NCAA tourney -- i.e. the automatic qualifiers from low-level conferences. To get to the NIT final-four we would have to win either three or four games (probably 4). That would be a feat equal to or tougher than making the sweet-16 of the NCAA. Real college basketball fans do not disrespect the NIT -- it was once a bigger tournament than the NCAA -- teams turned down the NCAA to accept a bid to the NIT.Just win on Saturday, and this thread and poll are ancient history! :cheers:

Real college basketball fans do not disrespect the NIT -- it was once a bigger tournament than the NCAA -- teams turned down the NCAA to accept a bid to the NIT.
I am a real college basketball fan and that NIT bus left the terminal 40 years ago. The NIT is better than nothing but it's also like getting socks for christmas. Aim high in your aspirations, don't settle for the next best. Half full, half empty. I agree there are many teams that are better than NCAA qualifiers, but if you win your tournament with a 3-22 record, you earned the NCAA's with todays rules. Don't leave it for someone else to decide.

No disrespect to you but any college basketball fan knows the postseason is so much more important than the regular season. One and done after a bad loss to Nevada is about the worst kind of exposure for us. Now if we make it and get an upset in the first round and lose the next round I say NCAA all the way, but as the poll puts it, the NIT final four is much better publicity than one and done in the big dance.
Better exposure? I disagree. The NIT is something for the alsorans. The NCAA is where all the attention is. No, I don't want to play in the big game because we might lose. :unsure::unsure: What kind of fan thinks this way. This is not an attack on you personally, but your thinking is a bit naive. I don't feel bad at all by getting beaten by Nevada. They are a great team and our guys stayed in it for most of the first half. There is no shame in losing to a better team. Sure there would be pride at UA for doing well in the NIT, but no one else would care about that. Also, if we aren't in the NCAA's, we didn't win our conference tournament which can leave teams with good records sitting home wondering what could have been. The NIT is by no means a lock and the NCAA at large is extinct. Take that chore out of those who select the teams and could care less about your school or conference, and win the right to be in the tournament. The NCAA tournament. My 2 1/2 cents. Bash away.
My argument was based strictly on the poll. I think the Zips are good enough to win the MAC tourney and when they do there's a good chance they are going to the Sweet 16. That's what I think is going to happen, depending on the bracket of course. My earlier response was about the one and done. In response to the "who remembers who was in the NIT final four last year?", sports writers and coaches sure do. When you're talking about exposure those are the people you need on your side coming into next year. Also as it was said, the NIT is no walk in the park. We've all seen good teams get beat in that tournament all the time. It would be amazing for this year's Zips to make it to the Final Four in that tournament. But again I'd rather see them in the NCAA Sweet 16.There's one team that doesn't have to worry about this and that's 'cause :screwks: . They're not going to do either!!

Fighting words, but football is a tad different. The NCAA tourney is above and beyond the NIT tournament. When you play an OOC team, you look to see if they have been in the Big Dance recently. Yeah to go to the finals of the NIT would be nice, but the Big Dance I believe would be more satisfying.

Fighting words, but football is a tad different. The NCAA tourney is above and beyond the NIT tournament. When you play an OOC team, you look to see if they have been in the Big Dance recently. Yeah to go to the finals of the NIT would be nice, but the Big Dance I believe would be more satisfying.
holy hell, we agree again. one of us is slipping. i feel faint.

The first poster seems to be asking which would benefit the program more, not which you would LIKE more. I'm pointing that out because some people seem to be approaching the question as if it's asking which one you would prefer.But the answer is STILL getting knocked out of the NCAA's in the first round. By a mile. It's great that the NIT final four is on ESPN and in MSG, but do recruits make a point to watch the NIT? Do you? Quick, name the final four participants from last year's NIT.I'm grateful for any post-season trip this team will take. But there's no question that making the NCAA's, even they lose by 100 in the first round, benefits the program more. It's the Big Dance. It's what people cut out of work early for. It's what people fill out their brackets for. They can say to recruits, "We are 2006 MAC Champions. As champions, we represented the conference in the NCAA tournament. That will grab them exponentially more than "We beat some middling BCS teams and made it to the NIT semifinals."EDIT: Me and Feat the Brown Roo made the exact same point the exact same way, but I missed his post the first time around. Great minds think alike! :cheers: