Zips offensive and defensive depth charts

A little surprised not to see Andrew Pratt as one of the 2nd teamers since he was reported to catch everything thrown his way, but he is still a freshman. I am pleased to see Hudson freshman Quaison Osborne worked his worked into the backup LT spot. Way to go, former Explorer.

That defense looks like it has the size of defenses in about 1978. Not sure if "size matters" much in the MAC, but a bigger team that can run might have a field day. This group better SWARM!

Only teams I could really see it be a problem with is NIU or Temple, and luckily Temple is in the big east now

When your 2nd team safety (rover) is heavier than both 1st and 2nd team MIKE LBs and a 2nd team DE, then size is certainly a concern. I agree with LZip that there aren't many MAC teams that feature a power running game, but K.E.N.T. is one that might fit that mold with their huge TB. Most defenses today substitute freely, but I think the Zips of 2012 will be running guys in left and right on just about every play to try to compensate for the lack of size.

I liked seeing Tyrell Goodman make the 2-deep at WR. Would there be any sweeter irony than to have a player from Ianello's high school make a few big plays this year?

I'm not surprised to see true FR Steve Franco win the 3rd QB spot. I don't even want to think about it right now, but you really never know when he could be called on to play.

Sweitzer winning the starting center job might be the biggest surprise to me.

All in all I think this depth chart highlights two main things:

1) TB wants to win ASAP, BUT he's also willing to let the younger players learn the "hard way" if necessary.

2) I expect the 2012 Zips to evolve throughout the season. I believe players not even listed here (for example, Jamel Turner) will step in and contribute at some point.

Lastly, I sure hope Dadgum Mangum and Avis Commack stay healthy. They might be the two most irreplaceable players on the team.

Am I missing something or is Rossi not with the team anymore?

Rossi is still on the team. If you look at the entire roster -- there really are a LOT of Linebackers. With 11 days of practice left -- I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes on this 2-deep roster. This could make some guys really step up to get some PT.

Rossi is 6-0, 231= too big for a LB in this defense. :lol:

Yeah, 'cause 2 of the three don't weigh 230+ or anything.

Rossi probably isn't getting on the two deep because he's a Mike (no coverage skills required) and you have experience you can put on the field in front of him.

So he went from being a FB that would see the field to a LB that isn't on the two deep depth chart?

What happened? He was a pretty hyped recruit no? I recall some big schools wanted him for LB, but he came here to play offense...

After further checking the depth charts...

The Offense has 6 new starters and 7 returning starters (although Adam Bice is at a different position). The Defense has 6 returning starters and 5 new. I count a returning starter as having started at least one game last season.

Overall, a good mix of old and new guys. I always got the feeling that the talent was mismanaged the last two years. There was enough talent to compete for the MAC East, but they were never utilized properly.

After further checking the depth charts...

The Offense has 6 new starters and 7 returning starters (although Adam Bice is at a different position). The Defense has 6 returning starters and 5 new. I count a returning starter as having started at least one game last season.

Overall, a good mix of old and new guys. I always got the feeling that the talent was mismanaged the last two years. There was enough talent to compete for the MAC East, but they were never utilized properly.

Maybe we could go bowling. With 13 offensive starters, we have to create SOME mismatches! :lol:

(OK...I realize you were including FB, TE, etc....or just a typo).

I have a question for George Thomas.

Your update mentions that James Price is academically ineligible. Why was he listed on the depth chart? Did he only become ineligible recently? Or was the staff hoping he'd regain his eligibility over the summer? Thanks for staying on top of these ever-changing situations :wave: