When Do We See Attendance Change

Zips fan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Akron is not the only one with attendance problems.

BCMaryland_USP1.jpg

656617525.jpg

I don't know what the answer is. There is no place I would rather be than a college football game, so I struggle to understand why there aren't more people who feel the same way. :(

Wow! Talk about dozens and dozens! I promise you that even with the inflated number because of Band Day, we still drew better than Maryland!

I was amazed at the lack of students in attendance. The section next to the band was maybe half full (750). And maybe another 800 on the grass. Not only do we need to energize Joe Akron to attend games, we need to find a way to get the students there as well. I know on a beautiful Saturday afternoon that there are dozens of things to do, but it is not like the students have to drive to attend.

The top of Infocision is the best view. Sitting down low sucks, i'd rather be up a bit.

I agree. I sat down at field level and remarked that I didn't like it. I never thought I would complain about sitting in the front row, but even though I could see what was happening on the sideline great, out on the field you can't see through the crowd of players.

When you are up a bit higher, you can actually see across the lines to the other side before they snap, and you don't lose the play when it's on the other side of the field.

And Infocision is intimate enough that you aren't too distant from the action when you sit a bit higher up

This is a very big issue in South Bend. Last year at night against USC, fans were being ejected left and right by ushers and stadium personnel for standing and cheering too loud on 3rd down, etc.

It really is troubling.

I've never been yelled at by Stadium personnel, but I get told repeatedly to sit down by people behind us.

It's ridiculous. When did it suddenly become illegal to stand at a sporting event?

People should stand and yell during critical and appropriate times.

Some people will stand the entire game, or stand simply to piss the people behind them off. Those people are a-holes. Especially at InfoCision, where 75% of the seats are empty...no one needs to be blocking other fans view of a 2nd and 9 during the 1st quarter. Go to an empty section and stand to your heart's content.

Student sections are exempt from the criteria above. :D

It is apparent by some of the replies that there are some folks who didn't endure many,if any of the years at the RB. Attendance has nothing to do w/ 'tarping off' sections of the stadium. If you have to do that it just means that you aren't interesting enough people in the program to get a decent crowd.. They tried that at the RB. We still had 20,000 empty seats.

If we can get 20,000 for home games next year it will be a miracle.

If they don't win the next couple home games there won't be any big crowds. TB,win at home.

Ah Yes. The folks down in Cowlumbus know that method very well. Unfortunately for them, when you get banned for cheating, that doesn't even work anymore :lol:

Thankfully,teasm won't be able to pull that crap when strength of schedule becomes more of a factor for the post season. Tressel pulled that because he could win a few BG10 games and still be in the hunt. The BG 10 has already been relegated to the 2nd tier. Urban won't do that because he knows he can't win a national champeenship that way

It is apparent by some of the replies that there are some folks who didn't endure many,if any of the years at the RB. Attendance has nothing to do w/ 'tarping off' sections of the stadium. If you have to do that it just means that you aren't interesting enough people in the program to get a decent crowd.. They tried that at the RB. We still had 20,000 empty seats.

If we can get 20,000 for home games next year it will be a miracle.

If they don't win the next couple home games there won't be any big crowds. TB,win at home.

The main reason for the tarping at the RB was safety. That end of the stadium for was literally falling apart. Secondary was the fact that they knoew we weren't going to get enough fans to the games and when the stadium shots were whown on TV, whey wanted to emphasize a bigger crowd than what actually was there.

Ohio State is always going to be the only recognized big-time football program in Ohio. Cincinnati is starting to make some waves, winning the Big East for a couple years. The successful MAC schools don't even fill there stadiums. 15-18,000 on a good day. Ohio State 100,000 every home game. I think if Akron can consistently win and get into a bowl game, I feel they would start getting people onto the band wagon. When we won the MAC in 2005, Akron sold the most bowl tickets in Motor City Bowl history. Win and they will come

Ohio State is always going to be the only recognized big-time football program in Ohio. Cincinnati is starting to make some waves, winning the Big East for a couple years. The successful MAC schools don't even fill there stadiums. 15-18,000 on a good day. Ohio State 100,000 every home game. I think if Akron can consistently win and get into a bowl game, I feel they would start getting people onto the band wagon. When we won the MAC in 2005, Akron sold the most bowl tickets in Motor City Bowl history. Win and they will come

Cincinnati is definitely on the right track, and have been for years.

1) I think they've been ranked higher than OSWho 2 of the last 4 years.

2) You don't see people down there wearing OSWho gear to the games. In fact, their BUCkeye State shirts, with the UC shaped like their own logo, is a classic. It shows their allegiance to their local team, and their definance of OSWho.

3) Did you ever hear their radio station commercials a few years ago mocking OSWho?

They are building a local culture that couldn't care less about the Suckeyes, because they are having their own success. Kudos to them. We will hopefully begin to copycat that formula as we start building again.

The successful MAC schools don't even fill there stadiums. 15-18,000 on a good day.

I find this interesting, since ohio's 1st home game was a sellout over 25,000. I'd expect ou to average around 24,000 the rest of the year. our hoops program will also likely draw 10,000+ for our 1st game, if not 13,000. This will likely outdraw Zips football's average attendance. I'm not trying to brag, just trying to make sure everyone understands where ohio athletics is at compared to Akron.

:lol: