Game 4 - Akron at Tennessee

johnnyzip84

Even though the O/U is pretty high for this game, I think there is a good chance that the Zips and Vols will go over. The 2012 Zips only know how to play one way on offense. I don’t see that changing even if the game gets out of hand early. And if it doesn’t get out of hand early, that probably means the Zips are scoring.

Tennessee will no doubt pound the Zips with the running game, before unleashing Bray, Hunter and Patterson. I really hope NZF is all over this, but my head says the Zips will fight valiantly before the Vols pull away for a fairly comfortable victory. But the Zips will once again cover!

Vols 49

Zips 27

I will continue to say it --- I believe we win this game. Tennessee is wondering what kind of team they are right now after UF beat them convincingly at home last week. They've got Georgia next week. They want our kids to be afraid of them -- afraid of the stadium - afraid of the noise... Because they're afraid they won't beat us. We have absolutely nothing to lose - everything to gain - and these players believe that they can and will win. Coach Bowden is dismissing the "David vs Goliath" comparisons --- they're not some giant powerhouse -- they were 1-7 in their conference last year. Six asst. coaches jumped ship before the season because they didn't believe they would have jobs after this year.. Yes they are big. Yes they're fast. They're a "good" team. They're not a great team. Not much better than UCF -- and if we had UCF this week, instead of the first game of the season, I say we'd beat them by 7-10. We have been cleaning up our mistakes -- gaining confidence, making plays, playing hard, the offense is really clicking... the Defense is so vastly improved from the stats from last year its mind boggling. Our guys are swarming to the ball.

WHEN we win tomorrow night - it will not even be the biggest upset of this season! That's just the truth. We can win this game -- and these players want the win more than anyone. We've shown what we're capable of in just three short weeks of this "new era". We haven't played a perfect game yet -- but with a near perfect game we beat this team - period. The momentum we gain from beating the Vols at home going into our conference schedule = BOWL GAME!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will continue to say it --- I believe we win this game. Tennessee is wondering what kind of team they are right now after UF beat them convincingly at home last week. They've got Georgia next week. They want our kids to be afraid of them -- afraid of the stadium - afraid of the noise... Because they're afraid they won't beat us. We have absolutely nothing to lose - everything to gain - and these players believe that they can and will win. Coach Bowden is dismissing the "David vs Goliath" comparisons --- they're not some giant powerhouse -- they were 1-7 in their conference last year. Six asst. coaches jumped ship before the season because they didn't believe they would have jobs after this year.. Yes they are big. Yes they're fast. They're a "good" team. They're not a great team. Not much better than UCF -- and if we had UCF this week, instead of the first game of the season, I say we'd beat them by 7-10. We have been cleaning up our mistakes -- gaining confidence, making plays, playing hard, the offense is really clicking... the Defense is so vastly improved from the stats from last year its mind boggling. Our guys are swarming to the ball.

WHEN we win tomorrow night - it will not even be the biggest upset of this season! That's just the truth. We can win this game -- and these players want the win more than anyone. We've shown what we're capable of in just three short weeks of this "new era". We haven't played a perfect game yet -- but with a near perfect game we beat this team - period. The momentum we gain from beating the Vols at home going into our conference schedule = BOWL GAME!

I'm not saying you're crazy, but I will say that your points are WAY off. We wouldn't beat UCF now or at any point in the season. We might have 10% chance against Tennessee because of Georgia next week and the general turmoil surrounding the program.

Hyperbole is not what the Zips football program needs right now. If we win six games this year and are bowl eligible, great, I'll eat it. On the other hand, most people had us winning 2-4 games and I think that's still a realistic expectation. Expectations shouldn't blow up because we killed a team we SHOULD kill. Scale it all back until we win some meaningful games (i.e. games against MAC opponents).

I wish we had 20,000 fans like you! I love every single bit of it. I will be cheering hard even if its at a tv screen many many miles away from the game. Go ZIPS!!!

Beat Tennessee!!!

:gun:

I'm not saying you're crazy, but I will say that your points are WAY off. We wouldn't beat UCF now or at any point in the season. We might have 10% chance against Tennessee because of Georgia next week and the general turmoil surrounding the program.

Hyperbole is not what the Zips football program needs right now. If we win six games this year and are bowl eligible, great, I'll eat it. On the other hand, most people had us winning 2-4 games and I think that's still a realistic expectation. Expectations shouldn't blow up because we killed a team we SHOULD kill. Scale it all back until we win some meaningful games (i.e. games against MAC opponents).

You've got the wrong attitude. I am confident in the Zips. It's been years since I've felt that way. We may not win, but we won't embarrass ourselves.

Personally, I think we have what it takes to make something special happen.

You've got the wrong attitude. I am confident in the Zips. It's been years since I've felt that way. We may not win, but we won't embarrass ourselves.

Personally, I think we have what it takes to make something special happen.

The second half last week really showed me something! These Zips can win this game. Zips 38 / Tenn 24.

I hope you are right.

LOVE IT! +100! GO ZIPS! Thanks for injecting some optimism into the board NZF. We sorely need that kind of attitude around here. ZIPS SHOCK THE WORLD!

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Here is where I saw odds posted. Not sure how reputable, but a fun read. Also of note, when I first read this Dalton Williams was questionable, they now list him as probable.

Couple of things here:1) Playing w/ the 'spread' is fun I guess. But, not germane to anything really. 2) Buffalo crushed Morgan State also. But, could only manage 7 points I think against our fine friends from Portage County. Point,nice the Zips beat Morgan(and the rest of the Earp brothers) last week. 3) I think a potentially important decision! Depending on the condition of Dalton Williams how much IF AT ALL do you play him against Tennessee? We know he is already banged up. This game is essentially meaningless in the big scheme of things.The MAC starts next week. The Miami game is probably the most important game of the season at least to this point. I want Williams as healthy as he can be for MAC play. Lose Williams at this point in the season you have to throw Pohl out there. Pohl will get his shot later in the season and next year. Now? Too many bad things if Williams goes down. If he is gonna get hurt(heaven forbid) and it could happen in any game.I want to see if this team can spring a few upsets in the MAC THIS year

Couple of things here:1) Playing w/ the 'spread' is fun I guess. But, not germane to anything really. 2) Buffalo crushed Morgan State also. But, could only manage 7 points I think against our fine friends from Portage County. Point,nice the Zips beat Morgan(and the rest of the Earp brothers) last week. 3) I think a potentially important decision! Depending on the condition of Dalton Williams how much IF AT ALL do you play him against Tennessee? We know he is already banged up. This game is essentially meaningless in the big scheme of things.The MAC starts next week. The Miami game is probably the most important game of the season at least to this point. I want Williams as healthy as he can be for MAC play. Lose Williams at this point in the season you have to throw Pohl out there. Pohl will get his shot later in the season and next year. Now? Too many bad things if Williams goes down. If he is gonna get hurt(heaven forbid) and it could happen in any game.I want to see if this team can spring a few upsets in the MAC THIS year

You play to win the game. Winning this game would probably be as big, if not bigger than winning the MAC in the eyes of many people.

I like Williams. It is nice to have a "real" QB working our offense, but if he goes down, I have plenty of confidence in Pohl. I hear Pohl actually has the better arm. Williams is just more comfortable in the offense and has leadership.

You play to win the game. Winning this game would probably be as big, if not bigger than winning the MAC in the eyes of many people.

I like Williams. It is nice to have a "real" QB working our offense, but if he goes down, I have plenty of confidence in Pohl. I hear Pohl actually has the better arm. Williams is just more comfortable in the offense and has leadership.

Dalton is ready to go -- 100%. You can see it in his face -- this young man wants the challenge, relishes the challenge, and I believe -- is UP to the challenge. Bring on the big boys -- our guys "ain't" scared -- and will give it 150% for 60 minutes.

Let's Go Zips!!! Beat the DADGUM Vols!

(As a side note -- Coach Bobby Bowden and Mrs. Bowden are in Knoxville -- and Coach will lead the team's chapel service before the team meal this afternoon. You couldn't HIRE a better person for that job - and he just happens to be the head coach's father -- oh AND the winningest coach in the history of major college football)

Because, you know, believing is the only thing that matters.

Since when the did the football forum become a posting-ground for fairy tale writers?

since when did the football forum become a posting ground for pessimists? Oh.. it always has been, and needs to change. I guess we dont believe in upsets on this board. ULM-Arkansas. nuff said.

since when did the football forum become a posting ground for pessimists? Oh.. it always has been, and needs to change. I guess we dont believe in upsets on this board. ULM-Arkansas. nuff said.

I've said that the Zips have a chance (10% or so, if you find my earlier post), but acting like we are definitely going to win makes the forum look bad. I've said the same thing about the OU poster (Bubba). Bowden has brought a great attitude to the program, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Nobody on here thinks we are a shoe-in to win this game or that we are favored by any stretch of the imagination. We all know the odds are not even close in our favor but you can look at what can go wrong and settle for that or you can stop making excuses. Like everyone has posted there are hundreds of examples of upsets and they happen all the time. boohoo that we believe that we could possibly be one of those teams.

The funny part is, is even if we lose by 5 td's tonight my confidence for this team still runs higher than at any point for Akron football.

I believe the Zips can win.

Go ZIPS!!! :champs:

I've said that the Zips have a chance (10% or so, if you find my earlier post), but acting like we are definitely going to win makes the forum look bad. I've said the same thing about the OU poster (Bubba). Bowden has brought a great attitude to the program, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

:wall:

Whatever.. Time to put on my Zips gear and head over to Neyland Stadium to watch our team get their a*** kicked.

Happy?

:wall:

Whatever.. Time to put on my Zips gear and head over to Neyland Stadium to watch our team get their a*** kicked.

Happy?

Sure. Sorry, I just don't judge my QB's readiness based on the "look on his face." I'll stick with odds, history, and statistics.

I'm a 22 year-old that has been rooting for the Zips for over 10 years. I've seen the difference between Charlie Frye and Clayton Moore. I went to the MAC Championship against NIU and the bowl game against Memphis. I've seen the bad Brookhart teams and the awful Ianello teams. I'm more-than-excited about the new team and Bowden, but baby steps.

I hope the upset happens, but I'll be happy with a losing final score of 35-21.

You ever play football? Coaches judge players readiness by the "look on their face".

Oh, okay. Well I'll find the most intense looking guy on campus, get him a uniform, and throw him on the field.

There's a reason "the look on a guy's face" is considered a cliché. I have all kinds of confidence in Dalton Williams, but it's because of his smart play and accuracy, not because of an interpreted facial expression.

Oh, okay. Well I'll find the most intense looking guy on campus, get him a uniform, and throw him on the field.

There's a reason "the look on a guy's face" is considered a cliché. I have all kinds of confidence in Dalton Williams, but it's because of his smart play and accuracy, not because of an interpreted facial expression.

So, what you are saying is, you cannot really relate to the topic at hand because you never played the game. Gotcha.

So, what you are saying is, you cannot really relate to the topic at hand because you never played the game. Gotcha.

Your experience has benefited you so much, I see. After all, you're filling the role of the "I played high school football!" tough guy on a college football message board. I'm guessing you also own a Hummer and wear cutoff sleeveless shirts.

Have fun with your "attitude football." I will live in reality, where teams win because of physical traits, game intelligence, and good coaching.