2012-2013 Recruiting Completed

GoZips

The needs for the near future in men's basketball were for tall/big power forwards and a center.

These needs have been met with the verbal commitments of four outstanding young players.

National Letter of Intent signing day is November six.

All four were heavily recruited by both mid and high major schools. Three of them will be

among the best seniors in Ohio high school basketball this Fall. The fourth, B J Gladden,

is a bona fide three star recruit out of North Carolina. Akron was the only mid-major school

on his short list. A great pick up for the Zips.

Pat Forsythe, a transfer from West Virginia, is not considered as part of this recruiting class

from a scholarship perspective.

There are possibilities for good players to remain on the team without a full athletic scholarship. Some might be capable of earning a full ride academic scholarship. For example, Blake Justice earned a 3.9 GPA in HS and membership in the National Honor Society. In any case, it's a good problem for the team when more talented players want to be in the program than there are athletic scholarships available. Likewise, it's a good problem for the team when there are more talented players on the bench than there is available playing time. As DistrictBaller noted in another thread:

..... As the talent level is upped there in Akron, you're going to start recruiting players who all expect to play. There are X amount of minutes and Y number of players expecting Z number of minutes. Inevitably players will move on. The staff has to prepare for that. It'll keep the competition level in practices high and morale (which is just as important) at a high level. .....

There are possibilities for good players to remain on the team without a full athletic scholarship. Some might be capable of earning a full ride academic scholarship. For example, Blake Justice earned a 3.9 GPA in HS and membership in the National Honor Society. In any case, it's a good problem for the team when more talented players want to be in the program than there are athletic scholarships available. Likewise, it's a good problem for the team when there are more talented players on the bench than there is available playing time. As DistrictBaller noted in another thread:

That's a good thought Dave, but unfortunately you can only have 13 scholarships of any kind on a basketball team at a given time. An academic/track/football etc. scholarship would count against that limit just as red shirts do.

If you were allowed to do that you would see many teams try to game the system by offering academic/other sport scholarships to get more scholarship players than the NCAA allows. Anyone playing beyond the 13 scholarship players has to pay their own way. I'm sure financial aid in the form of loans and whatnot are possible, but that would be the same as any other student studying at Akron.

@Districtballer, thanks for clarifying that. I'm not familiar with every NCAA rule, but I can see where the scholarship situation could get out of hand if there were more than 13 scholarships of any kind available for college basketball teams to leverage.

There may be things happening that are not generally known to the public that could have an effect on a team's scholarship situation. The coaching staff has to be prepared for situations that might develop which are out of their control. We might be surprised by what happens with the Zips.

@Districtballer, thanks for clarifying that. I'm not familiar with every NCAA rule, but I can see where the scholarship situation could get out of hand if there were more than 13 scholarships of any kind available for college basketball teams to leverage.

There may be things happening that are not generally known to the public that could have an effect on a team's scholarship situation. The coaching staff has to be prepared for situations that might develop which are out of their control. We might be surprised by what happens with the Zips.

Yea, like maybe Diggs won't be back or something like that.

Yea, like maybe Diggs won't be back or something like that.

Diggs won't be back after this season one way or another. Unless he becomes eligible for a medical redshirt (I hope not), he will run out of eligibility at the end of this coming season.

To my mind (no insider info here, just pure, unadulterated speculation) the most likely scenario has Josh Egner transferring out in search of playing time. He hasn't seen a lot of playing time in two years here. He will likely enter this season behind Tree and Harney on the depth chart at PF and Zeke and possibly Pat F. at C (e.g., there likely won't be much playing time for him again next year). Then you look at next season and you have Tree, Harney, Pat. F, Cheatham and Big Ike that will be competing with him for playing time.

Next most likely scenario to me is Blake Justice leaving in search of playing time, but that is much more difficult for me to predict as we haven't seen Blake play at all yet, and there will be quite a bit of playing time available on the wings after this season with Walsh, Q and Chauncey all graduating.