WE GOT SCREWED

ZachTheZip

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. If the MAC stands behind the calls that were made today, UA needs to find a conference that knows the difference between clean, hard tackles and illegal hits. Neither team could consistently stop the other. It was a close game all day that could have gone either way. In the end, the refs made the difference.

Agreed. That was TERRIBLE.

Post game TB was "cool". I hope he knows where to take this mess to and create a shitstorm behind the scenes.

They beat us. The defense reminded me of Palmisano's only worse. Fix it.

Yikes. What an entertaining game. Only the end sucked.

BTW , what the heck was TB waiting for in allowing them to score. It should have happened at about 1:56.

I posted something similar in the other thread, but officials should not play a part in the outcome of the game. Sure, our defense played horrifically, but we were penalized for two clean hits during the biggest drive the game.

Akron- 10 penalties for 87 yards

Miami- 3 penalties for 19 yards

And I still want an explanation of why the pass interference was able to be reviewed. I understand the right call was made in the end, but I really didn't think you could review a penalty.

I understand they can't call perfect game every time, but I don't like seeing the officials on the Miami sideline being the ones making those questionable calls.

Some Miami fans are talking on their boards about how UA got screwed by the refs and some UA fans are making excuses for the refs and pinning all the blame on the Zips? Please tell me I'm only imagining this.

Hey, we all know the Zips are slowly digging themselves out of a deep hole and trying to become competitive again. The odds are against them in almost every game. They aren't going to be blowing out any good teams for awhile. The most we Zips fans can hope for right now is that the Zips play just good enough to squeak out a close win over a decent MAC opponent in a fairly and evenly officiated game. Today the Zips did play just good enough to squeak out a close win over a decent MAC opponent in a fairly and evenly officiated game.

I would hope that all Zips fans could join in with the honest Miami fans in recognizing that the missing element today was a fairly and evenly officiated game.

It's fantastic that the complaints by Zips fans are about losing a laser show, super close shoot out. I'm still living in the TB honeymoon period. After watching this team suck hard since 2005 I'm just happy as hell to be entertained by a Zips team. I literally couldn't watch this team the last couple years so I'll refrain from complaining at this juncture. If TB and Amato can build ANY kind of defense this year going into next, this team is going to be hella. I will annoy those of you complaining about the refs, however, by saying that when you allow 1,000,000 points by the opponent you're usually going to lose. Akron put up virtually no defense today. That's the reason for the loss, not the refs.

Agreed. That was TERRIBLE.

Post game TB was "cool". I hope he knows where to take this mess to and create a shitstorm behind the scenes.

They beat us. The defense reminded me of Palmisano's only worse. Fix it.

Yikes. What an entertaining game. Only the end sucked.

BTW , what the heck was TB waiting for in allowing them to score. It should have happened at about 1:56.

Agreed. Horrible clock managment by Akron at the end of the game. Both on Miami's score, and on our last offensive possession.

In addition:

1) If officials have the green light to call personal fouls whenever someone even touches someone's head, that's just plain bad for college football.

2) We're still going to have a tough time beating anyone legitimate until we get some people here that can tackle and cover pass routes with an remote level of consistency.

The refs hosed the Zips today!!

Can't send emails to anyone in charge of the MAC Officiating because there is no such link or page on their site.

Here is the email address of Bob Gennarelli Senior Associate Commissioner/COO: BGennarelli@mac-sports.com

Need to send him emails about it.

Cant send them to the Commissioner because they don't put his email address on the site.

Yes, Chuck Amato's defense was a rusty bucket but so was Miami's.

Isn't it ironic that Amato is here a defensive coach when back in September of 2006 the Zips went to NC State where he was Head Coach and beat them. He then said that:

"They are in a conference that allows non-qualifiers in school. Non-qualifiers. Do y'all need to look that one up to write your stories?..Do you know what kind of players non-qualifiers are, usually? They're inversely proportional to what their grade-point average is. They can make a big difference."

It just amazes me that he would accept a position here at Akron knowing what he has said about them in the past.

I posted something similar in the other thread, but officials should not play a part in the outcome of the game. Sure, our defense played horrifically, but we were penalized for two clean hits during the biggest drive the game.

Akron- 10 penalties for 87 yards

Miami- 3 penalties for 19 yards

And I still want an explanation of why the pass interference was able to be reviewed. I understand the right call was made in the end, but I really didn't think you could review a penalty.

I understand they can't call perfect game every time, but I don't like seeing the officials on the Miami sideline being the ones making those questionable calls.

I don't think they actually reviewed a penalty. They reviewed whether the receiver ran out of bounds on his own then came back in and touched the ball. It indeed would have been interference if he had not done so. Unfortunately,the Zips lost the benefit of the interference and the down.

Agreed. Horrible clock managment by Akron at the end of the game. Both on Miami's score, and on our last offensive possession.

In addition:

1) If officials have the green light to call personal fouls whenever someone even touches someone's head, that's just plain bad for college football.

2) We're still going to have a tough time beating anyone legitimate until we get some people here that can tackle and cover pass routes with an remote level of consistency.

He put himself in that position by burning his timeouts earlier in the half. It seems like every time Dysert had trouble getting an audible called because of the noise, we bailed him out with a TO. :wall:

..... I will annoy those of you complaining about the refs, however, by saying that when you allow 1,000,000 points by the opponent you're usually going to lose. Akron put up virtually no defense today. That's the reason for the loss, not the refs.

SeeTeeZip, you know how much I respect your opinion on football matters. But I will annoy you back by saying that in an offensive shootout, there is virtually no defense on either side. I'll remind you that Miami's defense was so bad (or UA's offense was so good) that the Zips led into the final minute of the game. Considering all the good and bad from both teams, they were pretty evenly matched. The difference was in the calls by the refs. Did you see the replays on the big screen of the hits on which the Zips were penalized on Miami's final scoring drive? Are you saying those were good calls? If not, why would you not think they made the difference in an otherwise excruciatingly close game when the ultimate goal of reffing is not to influence the outcome of a game?

SeeTeeZip, you know how much I respect your opinion on football matters. But I will annoy you back by saying that in an offensive shootout, there is virtually no defense on either side. I'll remind you that Miami's defense was so bad (or UA's offense was so good) that the Zips led into the final minute of the game. Considering all the good and bad from both teams, they were pretty evenly matched. The difference was in the calls by the refs. Did you see the replays on the big screen of the hits on which the Zips were penalized on Miami's final scoring drive? Are you saying those were good calls? If not, why would you not think they made the difference in an otherwise excruciatingly close game when the ultimate goal of reffing is not to influence the outcome of a game?

The two calls hurt, no doubt. At least one of them was a terrible call. My impression is that as the "institution" of football, led by the NFL, works toward the lessening of head injury to players, or at least toward creating the impression that the game cares about these injuries, many bang bang plays that involve impact to the helmet and/or the snapping of the offensive player's head, will bring the yellow flag whether warranted or not. I'm just adjusting my expectations in games to expect the flag in these situations.

Really though, overall, I prefer to wish that the Zips had played defense today. It's always so easy to blame the refs. If we stop even one of the Miami drives in the second half we win the game. Lastly, I must say that it's awesome that in a thread involving DIG, I'm the less emotional one, possibly more clinical in my analysis in this case. I can't remember the last time that was the case. KEEP UP THE PASSION DAVE IN GREEN! NZF is surely rubbing off on you and I like it!