Bowling Green at Akron

johnnyzip84

Its game day for the Zips and at the top of this board are threads about OSU and spring football?????

No wonder less than 10,000 will actually be there today. We better make a hell of a lot of noise!

Must win? That team needs a win just to keep the season from getting frustrating.And,they desparately need a win at home. Except for UMass the schedule is tougher after this week. More games on the road and more of the top teams in the MAC.

Will they win today? IF Coach Chuck has got his defense in order AND if the O can put up 30,yep.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugly game. Offense couldnt ever get clicking. Defense was solid, IMO. Even though we were ran over in the second half, I feel the offense and all of their 3 and outs had a lot to do with it. We were out coached. It was clear who made the proper adjustments after halftime.

I thought Terry's post-game comments were pretty much on target. He said that BG did a good job of making adjustments in the second half to exploit Akron's weaknesses. Terry was very candid in his assessment of the team's performance, which is a nice change from the BS Ianello used to sling after each 40 point loss when he would go on and on about all the positive things he saw in the game. When he did that, I knew we had a loser on our hands.

Bobby Bowden gave a talk where he said that there are four steps to rebuilding. First, you lose big. Then you lost small. Then you win small then you win big.

Sometimes its easy to forget how totally awful we were the past two years. Terry Bowden deserves our patience. He stepped into a real mess. He has this program headed in right direction but he is not a miracle worker.

Right now, I'm thinking if we can knock off Can't and maybe find another win along the way, I'll consider Terry's first season a success.

I've already had more football entertainment from this team this year than the previous two years combined.

I left the game saying, "how did we lose a game in which our opponent scores ZERO in one half, and only had 24 for the game"?

Now, I don't really know what to expect from this team. All I know is that we continue to lose, and frustration among fans has really started to settle in again. We just lost 2 games where we HAD to win at least ONE to keep the Bowden-era interest alive this year.

Unfortunately, after a little bit of hope recently, we may have to go back to looking at this as a long term proposition. I just hope the fan find a way to maintain their patience.

ugly game. Offense couldnt ever get clicking. Defense was solid, IMO. Even though we were ran over in the second half, I feel the offense and all of their 3 and outs had a lot to do with it. We were out coached. It was clear who made the proper adjustments after halftime.

Bowden said it. And yes he was out coached. He gave up on the run way too early. Chisholm was going pretty good again.TB put Willaims in bad spots by forcing the passing game with his play calling. BG was basically dropping 7 into coverage and daring Williams to throw into a crowd. Even some of the completions needed spectacular catches to be completions. The TD pass was actually covered pretty well by BG.

This offense is fun to watch. But,sometimes TB is going to have to bite the bullet and force the run.

Didn't expect anything from the D. No real reason to. Said the offense needed to score 30 to win. That would have done it.But the BG D is solid.

Season gets real long now.

We flat got out coached in the 2nd half.

And at the end of the Miami game. That's now a little bit of a concern to me.

Let me add that it would certainly be understandable that someone might be a little rusty in their in-game decision making after experiencing a long layoff away from major college coaching in the middle of their career. Some of the comments at the end of the Miami game caught my attention, for sure.

There were signs of improvement in the previous games that led to some optimism for this game. It turns out that today's game was a reality check on just how far down the Zips were and how far they have to come back to win games like this. They obviously lack size and depth. It showed up today the way they were pushed around in the second half, and the way that players who couldn't play at full speed were forced to play because there were no healthier backups who could have done better. They're performing better in every way from how they've done the past two seasons, yet wins are going to be hard to come by until the roster is strengthened. But no one can accuse the players of not having heart. They're giving all they have to give against long odds.

Seems like BG just figured out our achilles heel and went for it. In the first half seems they tried to mix the pass and the run and defended for both equally. In the second, they just ran it down our throat and we could do nothing to stop it. Man, Pettigrew is a runner, just kept on churning it OUT! Is it me or did DW seem a little shell shocked in the second? Usually we are pretty quick to get rid of the ball but he was hanging onto it. Was he looking for a long ball or did BG really defend our receivers that well? We tired a screen pass a few times but BG was totally ready for those. I give BG a lot of credit, I can't remember the last time I saw 1/2 time adjustments make such a huge difference in the game. I fear the cat is out of the bag on how to stop the Zips O.

I thought for sure we would catch a few teams off guard this season and get rolling...I think I was wrong. Today was a reality check. It'll be more fun than the last two years, but it is still gonna be frustrating as HELL!