Zips suspend Diggs for 2012-13 academic year

The news has finally been broken. Quincy made a BAD decision and must now suffer the consequences. He has accepted the responsibility of his actions. He looks forward to finishing his career in Akron next year.

I definitely KNOW that the punishment was too harsh, and they (powers that be) should have let him continue to take classes and finish up his degree. #Politics

This is the most accurate statement made to date about Quincy's situation. I completely concur.

It is important to note that Quincy was NEVER charged by city prosecutors despite of two police reports.

As I speak truth wrote, Quincy is aware of his mistakes and has been overly harshly treated by

the University. There is a reasonable chance that Quincy will be back in school next semester. The coaches,

teammates and his friends want him back on the team. It is highly likely this will happen. Be patient and

let things work out without all this bluster and second guessing.

This whole situation led me to ask what would K-ent do? Nothing...

I mean no disrespect here, but if that's the first thing you think of in a situation like this, then you have completely missed the point and are part of the problem.

Whether you root for Akron, Can't, Ohio, Central Michigan, Penn State or Morgan State, these kinds of stories hurt everyone.

The bottom line is, who knows anymore if one program is any more clean than another. We don't. The disturbing thing here is this is going far beyond "boys being boys" and "making college mistakes." We all here were 18/19 years old at one point. We made choices, some good, some not-so-good and some bad. Athletes are going to drink underage. They are going to post incredibly stupid things on social networking sites. But when you are talking about violence, theft and driving under the influence - when lives are at stake, it isn't "boys being boys" anymore.

The situations at OSU and PSU have placed all of us on heightened awareness. There are journalists out there - many of them young and eager - just waiting to bust you for the slightest misstep. Everyone knows athletes are resented because of the academic free rides, book money assistance and other perks. Now, more than ever you have got to stay on that straight path.

What is Quincy's academic standing now? Does he lose his scholarship? Can he take classes/is he enrolled? Like KD, I hope for the best for him, just stay away from tennis players.

edit: Apparently Class of 82 answered that while I was writing.

Good people make mistakes. Doesn't mean they are bad people, just that they used bad judgment in a specific situation. It may be a case of two good people who couldn't stand to be apart and couldn't stand to be together, and the emotions were more than they could handle. Again, we're never going to know exactly what happened.

Everyone is welcome to discuss the impact of these events on the Zips basketball team on (and off) the court.

Everyone is NOT welcome to openly discuss the particulars of the case and the individuals involved, whether or not they're public information. This is not the forum for that discussion.

Out of respect for those involved, I have taken down anything marginal. Likely with a broader brush than necessary, but so be it.

Carry on with hoops discussion if you like. Take it elsewhere if you don't.

It certainly opens up more minutes for any of a number of players who might step up and try to fill Q's very large shoes. I hope whoever it is can give me the same thrill that Q did late in a game when I sensed him coiled like a rattlesnake on the defensive end, and then that sudden strike and he's upcourt with the ball, taking those huge long strides and almost-but-not-quite-impossible changes of direction that seemed to defy the basic laws of physics. That's the Q I'll always remember -- the guy who thought he could do the impossible, lived for that moment, and backed it up with the payoff. My kind of guy when he was in the right zone.

Q's absence will be tough to replace; especially on the defensive side of the ball. His unselfishness, competitiveness and desire to win is what I'll remember and miss about QD. I will add my comments to those who truly hope Q can obtain his degree and return to the JAR next year as a wiser man who learned from two unfortunate events. I believe he could return and play since he did not "sit out" a year when he transferred in since his initial college dropped out of the NCAA's D1 level; I believe the NCAA allowance of 5 years to complete 4 years of athletic eligibility still governs.

Better something like this happens now and not three months from now. Now the coaches know what they are facing and can adjust.

Actually, better it never happens at all than now, but you know...

so just to clarify in my own head....the universtiy suspended q and not kd.....and there is a possibility he could return perhaps after the first of the year...am i wrong with those assumptions

thnx in advance

You are correct. To summarize, UA announced that Q was suspended from the university through the end of the Spring 2013 semester for a violation of the university's Code of Student Conduct, and that his status with the university would be reevaluated after May 12, 2013. KD has stated in the media that he hopes that Q returns after the suspension to get his degree at UA. Forum member GoZips reports that Q's coaches, teammates and friends want him back on the team. Forum member I speak truth reports that Q understands that he made a bad decision, that he must now suffer the consequences, that he has accepted the responsibility for his actions, and that he looks forward to finishing his career in Akron next year.

His defense will be hard to replace.

Everyone realizes that.

However, the offensive spark he provided was also critical.

I think we will be hard pressed to replace him with just one guy.

Thankfully, a combination of players may do the trick.

At least I hope so.

Great teams fill the gap left by an unexpected player departure all the time.

Initially things might be a little tough.

Replacing Q may prove difficult.

Like it or not that’s the situation the team is in.

This whole situation led me to ask what would K-ent do? Nothing...

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

I think everyone who has contacted me about the Diggs situation in the last few days has mentioned the fact that we handle our problems appropriately. That's something to be proud of.

The folks over in Portage County are what they are, and this article supports that.

Excellent. Thanks for posting.

I think everyone who has contacted me about the Diggs situation in the last few days has mentioned the fact that we handle our problems appropriately. That's something to be proud of.

The folks over in Portage County are what they are, and this article supports that.

Look at the "bright" side:

It wasn't Zeke or Tree or Rico. THAT would have been deadly.

From a purely basketball standpoint, Q's absence will hurt us. He could, and did, play three different positions and gave coach Dambrot a lot of flexibility to make in-game adjustments and significant match-up problems on both sides of the ball for opposing teams. I don't think that kind of versatility is replaceable.

That said, though, I think everybody here is confident that Akron remains a formidable contender for a MAC championship with more depth than anyone else in the conference, especially if Tree and Harney fully establish themselves and the new guys pan out like we all hope they will. And there's even more reason now for hoping Forsythe gets his waiver.

Everyone is welcome to discuss the impact of these events on the Zips basketball team on (and off) the court.

Everyone is NOT welcome to openly discuss the particulars of the case and the individuals involved, whether or not they're public information. This is not the forum for that discussion.

Out of respect for those involved, I have taken down anything marginal. Likely with a broader brush than necessary, but so be it.

Carry on with hoops discussion if you like. Take it elsewhere if you don't.

And we're done here. Please move along.