How Will Bowden Handle "K.e.n.t. Week?"

Captain Kangaroo

As mentioned previously by Keener, Owens and Brookhart, despite their mediocre tenures, always made the K.e.n.t. game a big deal. And with two rare exceptions, where NFL'ers Josh Cribbs and Julian Edelman imposed their will on some perhaps somewhat overconfident Zips, the Zips made the Flashes their annual bitch.

Enter Ianello, who tried his best to pretend the Zips had any gridiron successes prior to his arrival (I still laugh at him mandating replays of the MCB, Marshall Comeback and K.e.n.t. Snow Bowl wins not be replayed on the Info Jumbotron), and poo poo'd the K.e.n.t. game as "just another game." You have to love the guy's attempts to hide recent tradition to cover his own ineptitude.

So what does Bowden say this week regarding the Wagon Wheel, and the fact that a win vs. K.e.n.t. would salvage the Zips season? I wonder....

As mentioned previously by Keener, Owens and Brookhart, despite their mediocre tenures, always made the K.e.n.t. game a big deal. And with two rare exceptions, where NFL'ers Josh Cribbs and Julian Edelman imposed their will on some perhaps somewhat overconfident Zips, the Zips made the Flashes their annual bitch.

Enter Ianello, who tried his best to pretend the Zips had any gridiron successes prior to his arrival (I still laugh at him mandating replays of the MCB, Marshall Comeback and K.e.n.t. Snow Bowl wins not be replayed on the Info Jumbotron), and poo poo'd the K.e.n.t. game as "just another game." You have to love the guy's attempts to hide recent tradition to cover his own ineptitude.

So what does Bowden say this week regarding the Wagon Wheel, and the fact that a win vs. K.e.n.t. would salvage the Zips season? I wonder....

About 55 seconds in...

...and severely cripple Can't's opportunity for MAC East and MAC Championships. How could our guys not embrace and love such a situation? In a down year, playing spoiler to your rival is the best possible opportunity for redemption and salvage.

I get it, Can't is up right now having beat a BCS Top-25 on the road and having lost only once until now, but will anyone outside of Can't remember much about the season if they don't make the MACC and play/lose in the Clorox Toilet Bowl? I don't think so, and I have forgotten about it already.

:screwks:

Appeal to the now and the future. The past is the past.

Many of these kids have very little to hang their hats on after many years of effort. I'm sure they know Ianello was an idiot and anything he thought or even worse yet, said, was nonsense. They saw the larger crowds than normal in past games they played in against Can't. They know how big the Can't game is for both schools.

The future.....Let them know they can be remembered for something big. Beating Can't in a bowl season would be something they would be remembered for years from now when they bring their kids back to watch future Zips play.

The "now" is more important than the future. Make it all about doing something great for the University, alumni and their fellow students. Don't motivate them by hating Can't. Appeal to the better nature of humans.....Giving enjoyment to others by working hard this week and performing at a high level later in the week. It's a bigger burden than the team just doing it for each other, but the enjoyment is greater when enjoyment is provided to the largest number of people as possible. Watch how happy the faces of the SF Giants are in a couple of days when they get a victory parade through SF and they see how happy the fans are. They are happy because the fans are happy. That's a lot better emotion than being happy because they hated the Tigers.

Appeal to the now and the future. The past is the past.

Many of these kids have very little to hang their hats on after many years of effort. I'm sure they know Ianello was an idiot and anything he thought or even worse yet, said, was nonsense. They saw the larger crowds than normal in past games they played in against Can't. They know how big the Can't game is for both schools.

The future.....Let them know they can be remembered for something big. Beating Can't in a bowl season would be something they would be remembered for years from now when they bring their kids back to watch future Zips play.

The "now" is more important than the future. Make it all about doing something great for the University, alumni and their fellow students. Don't motivate them by hating Can't. Appeal to the better nature of humans.....Giving enjoyment to others by working hard this week and performing at a high level later in the week. It's a bigger burden than the team just doing it for each other, but the enjoyment is greater when enjoyment is provided to the largest number of people as possible. Watch how happy the faces of the SF Giants are in a couple of days when they get a victory parade through SF and they see how happy the fans are. They are happy because the fans are happy. That's a lot better emotion than being happy because they hated the Tigers.

A fair counter to my position.

Coach Bowden gets it...I spoke with him at the Zips Trivia event and asked him straight up, "Do you know the importance of K #$% week?" He replied, I know and I can't wait to show them what we have!' Of course, no one knew 6 months ago that we wouldn't have much left..

Wow. We're now talking about the Ken+ game as a potential "Big Upset Win". Who would have thought we'd find ourselves in this position just a few years ago?

After our Gardner Webb loss, I saw we had a good chance to be in our present position. But I didn't see K.e.n.t. getting to their present level. K.e.n.t. beating an 8 - 0 Rutgers team is surreal. Maybe Rutgers was as soft an undefeated team as OU, but still...it's K.e.n.t. football.

After our Gardner Webb loss, I saw we had a good chance to be in our present position. But I didn't see K.e.n.t. getting to their present level. K.e.n.t. beating an 8 - 0 Rutgers team is surreal. Maybe Rutgers was as soft an undefeated team as OU, but still...it's K.e.n.t. football.

It stinks. Most of the time over the last couple of decades, we could count on being viewed as the superior program among NE Ohio recruits that drop down to MAC level. I think the results on Saturday clearly gives the Flushes the upper hand. That won't be good when recruiting season rolls around. Our only chance of softening that impression is with a big upset on Saturday.

Even with having many positives happen up to this point this season, I'm afraid we're seeing the MAC growing faster than we are. It's going to take some work to catch up again.

It stinks. Most of the time over the last couple of decades, we could count on being viewed as the superior program among NE Ohio recruits that drop down to MAC level. I think the results on Saturday clearly gives the Flushes the upper hand. That won't be good when recruiting season rolls around. Our only chance of softening that impression is with a big upset on Saturday.

Even with having many positives happen up to this point this season, I'm afraid we're seeing the MAC growing faster than we are. It's going to take some work to catch up again.

Yep. How does Hazell in 2 years take K.E.N.T. from an also ran to now the likely team to win the MAC East? Was there superior talent there the last couple of years? Or,did K.E.N.T. simply make a better decision on the HC they hired 2 years ago? They have definitely had better talent on the D side than Akron for a few years. If coaching really makes a difference we should start to see the results in 2013. This year...no. This K.E.N.T. team is probably better overall than the '05 Zips team that won the MAC. Until Akron can get some talent on the D side its not gonna matter who is on the sideline.

Well I just got done watching the coach's show and I'm feeling somewhat better about K.E.N.T. week at this point. I'm not saying I expect an upset, but TB made the statement that it sure would be nice to get Chisholm, Caponi and Presley back in a way that makes me hopeful we could see a couple of them return on Saturday.

Certainly K.E.N.T. would have to cooperate with the cliche "letdown" after a big win, but if the Zips have near a full compliment and play reasonably well (NO turnovers, please) you just never know. Isn't that what a rivalry game is all about?

Freeson was the offensive POTW and Grice was the defensive POTW. Cody is having a GREAT year, in spite of the record.

TB is saying all the right things about this game. If anybody can get this team to rise to this seemingly impossible challenge, it's him.

How does Hazell in 2 years take K.E.N.T. from an also ran to now the likely team to win the MAC East? Was there superior talent there the last couple of years? Or,did K.E.N.T. simply make a better decision on the HC they hired 2 years ago? They have definitely had better talent on the D side than Akron for a few years. If coaching really makes a difference we should start to see the results in 2013.

Hazell took over a team that was 5-4 at one point during the previous season. Bowden took over a team that was 2-22 over the previous 2 seasons. Big difference.

Taking a team that was 5-4 after 9 games, and elevating that team to 8-1 at the same point 2 seasons later is easily within the ability of any good coach.

Give Hazell a 2-22 Zips team and tell me where he'd be this season. Give this 2012 Zips team to our Director of Strategic Development and tell me his record. Given the schedule, talent and injuries, TB has done a great job.

Hazell took over a team that was 5-4 at one point during the previous season. Bowden took over a team that was 2-22 over the previous 2 seasons. Big difference.

Taking a team that was 5-4 after 9 games, and elevating that team to 8-1 at the same point 2 seasons later is easily within the ability of any good coach.

Give Hazell a 2-22 Zips team and tell me where he'd be this season. Give this 2012 Zips team to our Director of Strategic Development and tell me his record. Given the schedule, talent and injuries, TB has done a great job.

First,wasn't in ANY way saying ANYTHING negative about TB! If nothing else he was able to make this team more 'watchable'. So we are to conclude that the talent on the Zips' roster is so inferior to the CONSISTENTLY GOOD MAC teams that it is going to take what,2,3,4 more years to get consistently competetive? It does appear that even though the program is probably 'off the radar'for many recruits he will be able to convince kids who might not come here to take a shot. Might need a heavy dose of JUCO's and transfers to kick start it.

Well I just got done watching the coach's show and I'm feeling somewhat better about K.E.N.T. week at this point.

I am guessing if there are any tricks up TB's sleeve, we'll see them this week. He hasn't tried a fake FG or punt this season...now's the time. Onside kick to begin the game? You're 1-8...go for it.

Offense needs to quit sputtering and get back to early-season form. That will be the key to us having a shot, or losing by 20.

When's the last time our defense created a turnover...I won't look it up, but it seems like it was Commack's INT @ Tennessee? Time for the D to create some TO's.

I am guessing if there are any tricks up TB's sleeve, we'll see them this week. He hasn't tried a fake FG or punt this season...now's the time. Onside kick to begin the game? You're 1-8...go for it.

Offense needs to quit sputtering and get back to early-season form. That will be the key to us having a shot, or losing by 20.

When's the lat time our defense created a turnover...I won't look it up, but it seems like it was Commack's INT @ Tennessee? Time for the D to create some TO's.

He had his faults, but old LO sure liked to roll the dice in these situations. I like the idea of taking some chances early. It's been a while since the Zips had a lead and maybe they'll feed off of that, especially in a game like this.

I sure do like the looks of THIS.

When's the last time our defense created a turnover...I won't look it up, but it seems like it was Commack's INT @ Tennessee? Time for the D to create some TO's.

defense created 3 or 4 turnovers against tennessee. I dont remember recall one since, however.

Line is up to 21.

I wonder what the line was when Marcel Weems and company were upset at Dix back in '92? skip-zip will quickly note this was Akron's finest year of D1-A (FBS) football (final record 7-3-1). K.E.N.T. finished a glorious 2-9 that year under their sucky ex-ND assistant posing as a head coach (Pete Cordelli).

For that matter, I wonder what the largest line has been in this series? The biggest upset (per the line)?

Line is up to 21.

I wonder what the line was when Marcel Weems and company were upset at Dix back in '92? skip-zip will quickly note this was Akron's finest year of D1-A (FBS) football (final record 7-3-1). K.E.N.T. finished a glorious 2-9 that year under their sucky ex-ND assistant posing as a head coach (Pete Cordelli).

For that matter, I wonder what the largest line has been in this series? The biggest upset (per the line)?

Johnny.....I was there !! That's the 2nd most embarrassing trip I've made to Ken+, with the 2006 game being the first. And now I have a new #3, which was when you posted this 21-point spread. Are you kidding me? Ken+ State? Wow, have we dug ourselves a hole.

I still find it amazing that we lost to a really bad Ken+ team in 1992, and still only lost 3 games that season.

I don't know the line on that game, but I am wondering how far back we have to go to find 3 straight losses against Can't.

I also find it interesting that we aren't the only MAC school who failed by going after an ex-ND assistant. Although, we shouldn't have been as stupid as Ken+.

Johnny.....I was there !! That's the 2nd most embarrassing trip I've made to Ken+, with the 2006 game being the first. And now I have a new #3, which was when you posted this 21-point spread. Are you kidding me? Ken+ State? Wow, have we dug ourselves a hole.

I still find it amazing that we lost to a really bad Ken+ team in 1992, and still only lost 3 games that season.

I don't know the line on that game, but I am wondering how far back we have to go to find 3 straight losses against Can't.

I also find it interesting that we aren't the only MAC school who failed by going after an ex-ND assistant. Although, we shouldn't have been as stupid as Ken+.

I was there as well. Two things killed the Zips that day. First, Faust and staff apparently thought they could continue to call running play after running play when K.E.N.T. had 8 or 9 players near the line of scrimmage on every play. Second, do you recall the crazy bounces that went their way, like the botched handoff that bounced straight up from the ground into a K.E.N.T. LB's hands just before he raced untouched for a quick TD? On the 1st point, I even called Faust on that old TV talk show he had with Joe Dunn and asked him if he would take a few shots in the air had he had it to do over again. To his credit, Gerry stated without hesitation in his gravelly voice "you bet I would".

Regarding embarrassing games against K.E.N.T., I'd also nominate the game over at Dix when Jason Taylor was a Senior (I believe). IIRC, the Zips went from being ahead to being behind by 15 or 20 within the span of maybe 8 or 9 minutes on the clock. It was one of the worst attempts to "close" a game I have ever witnessed in any sport.

So I guess we can say that K.E.N.T. has pulled a few rabbits out of the hat during this series. I know it's a longshot, but maybe we're due for a few fluke plays in our favor.

Now back to the task at hand:

What was the 'line' in 2006 when that team clubbed the Zips out there? Was at that game. Expectations were really high but the Zips under performed. That season should have been better.