2013 Basketball Tournament

zippyfan34

Anyone heard where we might be playing a regular season basketball tournament next year? I would like to make it if everything works out.

Hopefully whichever they choose has the same format as this years. Not the fixed tournaments that never let the smaller schools make the championship.

or...we can pull an OhioU and skip the tourneys altogether, play 7 cupcakes to start the season, and then brag about it.

Hopefully whichever they choose has the same format as this years. Not the fixed tournaments that never let the smaller schools make the championship.

or...we can pull an OhioU and skip the tourneys altogether, play 7 cupcakes to start the season, and then brag about it.

Or Ohio played a Top 50 RPI team in Richmond today and smoked them, still plays Memphis, RMU and UMass among a few others. Ohio plays about an equally tough if not tougher non-con schedule than Akron. Still mad about last year?

Ohio just clinched a win in their pre-season tournament, the "Nation of Coaches Classic" (http://www.nationsofcoaches.com/#/home/noc-classic), with a win today over the University of Richmond 73-48.

The tournament involved Ohio, Richmond, Wofford, Hampton and UNC-Wilmington playing a round-robin format.

Ohio participated in the Nation of Coaches Classic this year.

Ohio participated in the Nation of Coaches Classic this year.

Ohio plays a 2012 NCAA tournament team this week when the Bonnies come to the Convo. I actually really like Ohio's schedule this year. Oklahoma, Memphis, Robert Morris, St. Bonaventure, Marshall, Richmond are all historically solid programs.

Don't hate Zip fans. It's all good!

PS. Man I wish you guys would have beaten OKie State! I was rooting hard for you guys in that game and every non-conference for that matter! I hope you the Zips win out until conference play that is.

Back on the original topic...

We can rule out the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, 2K Sports Classic

Hall of Fame Tip-Off all 8 teams announced: UNC, Louisville, Fairfield, Hartford, Richmond, Holy Cross, Hofstra, and Belmont

Maui Invitationa- all teams announced: Arkansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, California, Dayton, Minnesota, Syracuse, Chaminade

Old Spice Classic- 8 of 8 teams announced: Butler, LSU, Memphis, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Saint Joseph’s, Siena and Washington State

These are the best options.

Charleston Classic has 6 of 8 teams announced: UAB, Clemson, Georgia, Nebraska, New Mexico and Temple

Battle 4 Atlantis- 7 of 8 announced: Xavier, Kansas, Villanova, USC, Tenn, Wake Forest, UTEP

Anaheim Classic- 7 of 8 teams announced: Arizona State, College of Charleston, Creighton, George Washington, Marquette, Miami and San Diego State

Legends Classic- Not announced yet, Akron participated in 2008 so they are eligible again.

Coaches vs. Cancer?

Paradise Jam

CBE Classic

Cancun Challenge

Preseason NIT

Great Alaska Shootout

Global Sports Classic

Las Vegas Invitational

Hey Zips fans! First time poster here. Looking forward to a very competitive season this year in the MAC East. Obviously Ohio and Akron are the 2 favorites but Can't looks pretty solid and more than capable to making a nice run. I really would have loved to see you guys beat Okie State! I personally root for 100% of MAC schools to win 100% of their non-conference games. Good luck the rest of your Pre-MAC schedule and plan a trip to the Convo when your team heads to southeast Ohio.

As for Ohio's non-conference schedule, the tougher games are still to come that's for sure. I am sure we will have a clearer picture of this team following games at Memphis, Oklahoma and Robert Morris.

Thanks for letting me post here!

D.I.G; it depends on which rankings you look at. Sagarin: UA 77, OU 333. Pomeroy: UA 79, OU 313. There are so many, who really knows.

I agree the Ohio schedule does not grade well in computer rankings but it will take a few weeks before those models are well connected enough get an more accurate assessment schedule quality. I was actually pleased at Ohio's schedule this year. Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Oklahoma, Memphis, Marshall and Robert Morris are usually quality programs.

I would have loved for you guys to have beaten OK State. That would have been a solid win! I always root for ALL MAC schools to win non-conference games. Great for the league.

Thanks for letting me post here. I look forward to a fun year with the Cats and Zips being the favorites. I hope many of you will head south to the Convo with Zips! Should be fun!

Good luck the rest of non-conference!

Hey Akron fans! First time poster here. I am really looking forward to an exciting basketball season with the Zips and Bobcats being favored in the MAC East this year. Can't also looks to be a factor. I agree that Ohio's early non-conference schedule does not rate well with the computers and wont for several weeks until all the schools are well connected. Most of the tougher opponents are still to come but by the time conference play rolls around we should have a good idea of where the Bobcats stand going into conference play. Memphis, Oklahoma and Robert Morris on the road will be big test.

I was really pulling for you guys again OKIE State! That would have been a huge win! Good luck the rest of the pre-conference and look forward to the Ohio- Akron matchup later this year. I would encourage your fans to make a trip to the Convo this year with your Zips! It's a great venue for college basketball and having the opposing teams fans there always adds to the excitement!

Good luck the rest of non-conference!

D.I.G; it depends on which rankings you look at. Sagarin: UA 77, OU 333. Pomeroy: UA 79, OU 313. There are so many, who really knows.

Right, I was just quoting the pure SOS rankings, not the enhanced statistical analysis used by Sagarin, Pomeroy, etc., that create a variety of different stats to choose from.

Back on the original topic...

We can rule out the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, 2K Sports Classic

Hall of Fame Tip-Off all 8 teams announced: UNC, Louisville, Fairfield, Hartford, Richmond, Holy Cross, Hofstra, and Belmont

Maui Invitationa- all teams announced: Arkansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, California, Dayton, Minnesota, Syracuse, Chaminade

Old Spice Classic- 8 of 8 teams announced: Butler, LSU, Memphis, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Saint Joseph’s, Siena and Washington State

These are the best options.

Charleston Classic has 6 of 8 teams announced: UAB, Clemson, Georgia, Nebraska, New Mexico and Temple

Battle 4 Atlantis- 7 of 8 announced: Xavier, Kansas, Villanova, USC, Tenn, Wake Forest, UTEP

Anaheim Classic- 7 of 8 teams announced: Arizona State, College of Charleston, Creighton, George Washington, Marquette, Miami and San Diego State

Legends Classic- Not announced yet, Akron participated in 2008 so they are eligible again.

Coaches vs. Cancer?

Paradise Jam

CBE Classic

Cancun Challenge

Preseason NIT

Great Alaska Shootout

Global Sports Classic

Las Vegas Invitational

Thanks TPS. My vote would be for Atlantis as I wanted to go there at least once in my lifetime and to catch some Zips bball would kill 2 birds with one stone.

TPSjugglerdude - excellent report on 2013 kickoff tournaments; based upon your reporting I'd vote for:

1. Preseason NIT - Madison Square Garden, need anything else be said? Great visibility

2. Charleston Classic - we'd win it and the food is great.

3. Battle for Atlantis - "Think Bigger" - why not?

I could be wrong, but I think only the semi finals and finals are at MSG for the NIT. Charleston Classic would be the most doable for me and good teams listed, but I don't think it gives us a chance for a top 25 win. Battle for Atlantis would be pretty but not sure if I would be able to make the trip. I like the team selection in Anaheim as well.

Damn! I can't believe not one of you has mentioned the PREMIER college basketball pre-season tournament. This year's Diamond Head Classic features Arizona, San Diego State, Mississippi, Miami (FL), East Tennessee, Indiana State, San Francisco and the host Hawaii Rainbow Warriors. From my research, the only school shown for the 2013 tournament is George Mason University. (I look forward to meeting Steven Goff, who may be the top soccer blogger in the nation) This is a tournament that has gotten a better field in each year of its existence.

Come on Keith. Say aloha one more time. B) I know you wanna wake up on Waikiki Beach.