Offseason chatter

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wanted to start a thread for any rumors or things heard about if any players will be transferring in or out of our beloved soccer team.

I can't help but worry that Trapp, Deandre, and Gallego are getting pushed by MLS teams right now too...

Well, that did not take long at all. It is time for some tough love here.

Are these three really getting pushed to turn pro? By whom? Do the MLS clubs really have these players’ best interest in mind?

At this point, we know what pros look like up close. We have seen them come and go. Though our super sophomores are likely future pros, I suggest none of the three is ready yet. I address them in order of readiness, IMnsHO.

I would compare Wil Trap to Ben Zemanski, who improved each of his 4 years at UA. Ben struggles to get into the first 11 for a very bad Chivas side. Is Trapp better than Zemanski? Same type of player.

The most apt comparison is DeAndre Yedlin to Kofi Sarkodie. They share the same skill set, pace and style. I would like to clock a foot race between these two! Sarkodie noticeably improved every year at UA. By his junior season, Sarkodie did everything Yedlin now does - better. He became more offensively polished during his 3rd year. And yet Sarkodie has only recently become a regular for Dynamo Houston. (Good Luck Kofie!). Yedlin is not yet a Sarkodie.

I compare Bryan Gallego to Zarek Valentin and Perry Kitchen, each of whom left very early. Is Gallego as good as either of these two? He has neither Valentin’s speed nor Kitchen’s strength. Hell, is Gallego even equal to Chad Barson? Not yet, I say.

I love these three players, so perhaps I am biased because I hate to let them go. God knows I will root for them when they make the inevitable jump. But I sincerely believe they will develop further at UA than they would on the developmental squad of their respective MLS clubs. This belief is contrary to prevailing opinion throughout the general soccer community, the ones who think we need to advance the European way. I disagree. College Soccer is still relevant to creating international class players.

Moreover, what can we as a Zips Nation do to “re-recruit” our current roster? If everybody but the seniors returns, UA will be ranked among the top three pre season. Pina replaces Meves, Souders replaces Barson, Foldesy replaces Caldwell, and Koroma replaces Schmitt. Lock and load!

I was lead to believe that everybody was on board with the Jared Embick program continuity project. That plan does not work if players leave.

Well, that did not take long at all. It is time for some tough love here.

Are these three really getting pushed to turn pro? By whom? Do the MLS clubs really have these players’ best interest in mind?

At this point, we know what pros look like up close. We have seen them come and go. Though our super sophomores are likely future pros, I suggest none of the three is ready yet. I address them in order of readiness, IMnsHO.

I would compare Wil Trap to Ben Zemanski, who improved each of his 4 years at UA. Ben struggles to get into the first 11 for a very bad Chivas side. Is Trapp better than Zemanski? Same type of player.

The most apt comparison is DeAndre Yedlin to Kofi Sarkodie. They share the same skill set, pace and style. I would like to clock a foot race between these two! Sarkodie noticeably improved every year at UA. By his junior season, Sarkodie did everything Yedlin now does - better. He became more offensively polished during his 3rd year. And yet Sarkodie has only recently become a regular for Dynamo Houston. (Good Luck Kofie!). Yedlin is not yet a Sarkodie.

I compare Bryan Gallego to Zarek Valentin and Perry Kitchen, each of whom left very early. Is Gallego as good as either of these two? He has neither Valentin’s speed nor Kitchen’s strength. Hell, is Gallego even equal to Chad Barson? Not yet, I say.

I love these three players, so perhaps I am biased because I hate to let them go. God knows I will root for them when they make the inevitable jump. But I sincerely believe they will develop further at UA than they would on the developmental squad of their respective MLS clubs. This belief is contrary to prevailing opinion throughout the general soccer community, the ones who think we need to advance the European way. I disagree. College Soccer is still relevant to creating international class players.

Moreover, what can we as a Zips Nation do to “re-recruit” our current roster? If everybody but the seniors returns, UA will be ranked among the top three pre season. Pina replaces Meves, Souders replaces Barson, Foldesy replaces Caldwell, and Koroma replaces Schmitt. Lock and load!

I was lead to believe that everybody was on board with the Jared Embick program continuity project. That plan does not work if players leave.

That's a good way to look at it, comparing them to their predecessors. Another way to measure their readiness for the pros though would be to look at the teams they will likely be joining; Columbus for Trapp, Sounders for Yedlin, RBNY for Gallego. And by that measure, like you, my opinion is that the chance of earning minutes and thus being a value to their team decreases in that order. Red Bulls have not been kind to their home grown players, their track record points to spending big money on internationals instead of relying on their homegrown players. I think Trapp could get minutes at Columbus, DeAndre, I don't know about, mostly because of my lack of familiarity with Sounders' fullbacks. I know they started a DC reject at leftback on multiple occasions, so maybe they aren't that strong. In 2010, there were a few guys like Kitchen and Nagbe, who we KNEW would be gone at the end of the year. I don't see any of these three as that certain. Now, the player I have heard is more likely to leave is Serna, whose Rapids are not that strong and could probably use his help in the midfield. He's a real small dude though, not sure how he holds up in MLS.

Hope most of these guys stick around. As mentioned above, I know that was a big reason for hiring Embick, which I personally feel is a pretty shortsighted reason. If it doesn't work out, well, I don't know.

That's a good way to look at it, comparing them to their predecessors. Another way to measure their readiness for the pros though would be to look at the teams they will likely be joining; Columbus for Trapp, Sounders for Yedlin, RBNY for Gallego. And by that measure, like you, my opinion is that the chance of earning minutes and thus being a value to their team decreases in that order. Red Bulls have not been kind to their home grown players, their track record points to spending big money on internationals instead of relying on their homegrown players. I think Trapp could get minutes at Columbus, DeAndre, I don't know about, mostly because of my lack of familiarity with Sounders' fullbacks. I know they started a DC reject at leftback on multiple occasions, so maybe they aren't that strong. In 2010, there were a few guys like Kitchen and Nagbe, who we KNEW would be gone at the end of the year. I don't see any of these three as that certain. Now, the player I have heard is more likely to leave is Serna, whose Rapids are not that strong and could probably use his help in the midfield. He's a real small dude though, not sure how he holds up in MLS.

Hope most of these guys stick around. As mentioned above, I know that was a big reason for hiring Embick, which I personally feel is a pretty shortsighted reason. If it doesn't work out, well, I don't know.

Agreed. I did not offer Dillon Serna because he was not on the original posting to which I was responding. I truthfully do not know much about the Rapids. I like Serna's play quite a bit. He has a good offensive mind and quick feet. The turning point last match was his injury and departure. But that is the knock on him. He has struggled to remain healthy this, his only, season. He will need to be much tougher and durable. Or grow 6 inches. The MLS will chew him and spit him, and not think twice about it. He is less ready to turn professional than the three super sophomores listed above. Serna needs at least another year, just to acquire a man's physique. Compare Serna to Michael Nanchoff.

I hope these players are getting good advice. What is the league minimum salary?

edit: http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

$33,750 in 2012

I agree with your comparisons and them maybe not being completely ready buuuuut....

we are dealing with a unique situation in that these players aren't completely certain what they are gonna be coming back for. They might not be 100% ready to go but if an offer is there they might take it just based on the Porter departure and them not having the confidence that the team will be a top 5 team next year.

Was ben Speas really ready to go pro after last year (i think no, and it was proven based on his season with the Crew, imo) but that didn't stop him from signing.

Guys leaving to go pro is unfortunate but what we can't see happening is marquee players transferring from Akron to other top schools. That would have a more telling stance on where Akron soccer is heading.

I agree with your comparisons and them maybe not being completely ready buuuuut....

we are dealing with a unique situation in that these players aren't completely certain what they are gonna be coming back for. They might not be 100% ready to go but if an offer is there they might take it just based on the Porter departure and them not having the confidence that the team will be a top 5 team next year.

Was ben Speas really ready to go pro after last year (i think no, and it was proven based on his season with the Crew, imo) but that didn't stop him from signing.

Guys leaving to go pro is unfortunate but what we can't see happening is marquee players transferring from Akron to other top schools. That would have a more telling stance on where Akron soccer is heading.

You are very right. If defections start, then look out! This can all unravel pretty quickly.

Your first sentence troubles me mightily. The rationale behind hiring Jared Embick is continuity within the program. What are these players uncertain about? If everyone not graduating stays, Zips will undoubtedly be in the top 5 preseason.

God as my witness, I am prepared to pounce on Tom Wistrcill with a holy vengeance should this transition be anything other than seamless and smooth.

God as my witness, I am prepared to pounce on Tom Wistrcil with a holy vengeance should this transition be anything other than seamless and smooth.

Because it would have been seamless and smooth if a different successor had been selected? What does seamless and smooth mean to you? I don't recall anyone stating that there wouldn't be some doubt in players' minds with Caleb's departure.

While we all sit her wringing our hands and wondering what next year will bring, I suspect that Caleb is (or will be) meeting with each of his players, as he always has at the end of the season, and discussing their options and his recommendations with them. You don't put your heart and soul into a team and then just leave. That's probably why Caleb chose December 15th. That date would give him some time after the College Cup to meet with his players before departing. I would think that Jared is involved as well. I also trust that our seniors likely will be sharing their perspectives, too, because they all care about one another. There likely will be some who leave as has happened in the past. The last several years we've had underclassmen leave even when Caleb wasn't departing.

I admit that I'm nervous given Caleb's departure, but Jared deserves his opportunity and our support. He's family and has been part of our success over the past 6 years.

Because it would have been seamless and smooth if a different successor had been selected? What does seamless and smooth mean to you? I don't recall anyone stating that there wouldn't be some doubt in players' minds with Caleb's departure.

While we all sit her wringing our hands and wondering what next year will bring, I suspect that Caleb is (or will be) meeting with each of his players, as he always has at the end of the season, and discussing their options and his recommendations with them. You don't put your heart and soul into a team and then just leave. That's probably why Caleb chose December 15th. That date would give him some time after the College Cup to meet with his players before departing. I would think that Jared is involved as well. I also trust that our seniors likely will be sharing their perspectives, too, because they all care about one another. There likely will be some who leave as has happened in the past. The last several years we've had underclassmen leave even when Caleb wasn't departing.

I admit that I'm nervous given Caleb's departure, but Jared deserves his opportunity and our support. He's family and has been part of our success over the past 6 years.

OK. I will come in from the ledge. But we cannot sustain a wholesale donation to the MLS. Not this offseason.

Most detrimental would be transfers to other programs. That simply cannot happen this year. If it does, that is when I will freak right out.

Most detrimental would be transfers to other programs. That simply cannot happen this year. If it does, that is when I will freak right out.

I'll probably freak out with you.

And here we go.......

Dillon Serna is the one that really confounds me.

Well, the thing that concerns me most is not that we will lose very good players, that has happened every year recently. The bigger concern is that I see no newcomers coming to replace them. Do we have a single commitment for the class of 2013?

Well, the thing that concerns me most is not that we will lose very good players, that has happened every year recently. The bigger concern is that I see no newcomers coming to replace them. Do we have a single commitment for the class of 2013?

I share your concerns.

As far as I know, we have this guy, who looks to be a pretty good one. I know of none else.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-player...jem/pid-1005091

And here we go.......

Dillon Serna is the one that really confounds me.

I expect Serna and Trapp to go, Yedlin is quite possible too. The one name that's not on the Top Drawer list I like to see around next season is Gallego. Losing Meves and Barson and possibly a Gallego would really hurt the back core. I'd like to see Gallego stick around to try and hold down the back line and keep its composure one more season.

Think the one we are resigned to losing is Trapp. I'd say it's more likely then not then the rest will not go pro. Whether they are at Akron next year is another story. Koroma especially I think will have a break out season next year, but I feel like after this fall, it's not a given it will happen here.

koroma will return next year to play for the Zips after he recovers from Lemiere's disease

yea figured i would let everyone know. he dropped out of school because Akron would not let him have a medical leave and missed the last of the season due to getting sick in early november. he will return for the spring semester and practicing with the team for the spring games

koroma will return next year to play for the Zips after he recovers from Lemiere's disease

Hey! Thanks for the inside info girl8! As far as the back line goes, I think if we keep Gallego, and with Souders getting a chance to show the prowess that made him a USA captain we will be fine. I wonder whether Gallego will stay at left or become the "attacking defender" right back (also, who else will start at CB?). I'm more concerned over scoring -- Brenes can probably get drafted first round after this season. I don't think Koroma can do it alone.

Hey! Thanks for the inside info girl8! As far as the back line goes, I think if we keep Gallego, and with Souders getting a chance to show the prowess that made him a USA captain we will be fine. I wonder whether Gallego will stay at left or become the "attacking defender" right back (also, who else will start at CB?). I'm more concerned over scoring -- Brenes can probably get drafted first round after this season. I don't think Koroma can do it alone.

Wow! I hope Koroma overcomes this condition; it is nothing to trifle with.

We catch a break that Brenes has not been able to keep healthy, and also that he is an excellent student. I think he stays. Gallego lacks the speed for flank play, but he will do nicely where he is. Afsarifard is next up at CB; I think he is underrated.

Stevenson..........Brenes...................Koroma

Portillos................Foldesy.......................Quinn

Derschang...Gallego...Souders.....Abdul-Salaam

...........................Pina....................................

I hope Fred (as he told me he likes to be called) has a full recovery.