Caleb's Porterland Timbers FC

Hey, I think we have a few Porter/Portland things scattered around and I figured since this is going to be a thing we are all pretty much going to want to keep tabs on, let's just have one big thread.

Caleb is already shaking things up in the Rose City with what looks to be the roster overhaul some had expected. So far, some of the moves we have seen are:

-Timbers midfielder/defender Lovel Palmer and defender Steve Purdy not resigned

-Sporting KC defender Michael Harrington to Portland for allocation money

-RSL midfielder Will Johnson to Portland for allocation money

-Timbers defender Eric Brunner to Houston for allocation money

-Timbers defender Kosuke Kimura to RBNY for allocation money and the thing I think we are all either more excited or disappointed in;

-Bryan Gallego's homegrown rights trade from RBNY to Portland.

I am definitely interested to see where this team goes. Really interested in the Gallego thing. I kind of agree with the sentiment above that if homegrown rights can just be traded, it does in some ways seem to defeat the purpose. But what I am more interested in, is the fact that Bryan agreed with this means he must REALLY hold Caleb in high regard. I mean, what else could make a Jersey kid want to give up the chance to play for his hometown team, the one he probably grew up rooting for? That is huge. He is giving that up, along with the ability to have his family come watch him in games and all the other perks of playing for your local team. His faith in what Porter is planning on doing must be big. I am also happy to see this and know that I can continue not caring about Red Bulls since our players will be staying away from there.

Many, including myself, scoffed at the idea of Porter "getting the boys back together" in Portland, but he picked those players to come to Akron for a reason, he saw something special in them. I'll be interested to see if he goes after any other former players. Before, I didn't think he would do it unless it fell into his lap and made just as much sense as any other player, but the fact that he is willing to pay for player's homegrown rights (wonder how much of the trade that cost?) means it is not unfathomable that we could see someone like say, Scott Caldwell, go to Portland.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Hey, I think we have a few Porter/Portland things scattered around and I figured since this is going to be a thing we are all pretty much going to want to keep tabs on, let's just have one big thread.

Caleb is already shaking things up in the Rose City with what looks to be the roster overhaul some had expected. So far, some of the moves we have seen are:

-Timbers midfielder/defender Lovel Palmer and defender Steve Purdy not resigned

-Sporting KC defender Michael Harrington to Portland for allocation money

-RSL midfielder Will Johnson to Portland for allocation money

-Timbers defender Eric Brunner to Houston for allocation money

-Timbers defender Kosuke Kimura to RBNY for allocation money and the thing I think we are all either more excited or disappointed in;

-Bryan Gallego's homegrown rights trade from RBNY to Portland.

I am definitely interested to see where this team goes. Really interested in the Gallego thing. I kind of agree with the sentiment above that if homegrown rights can just be traded, it does in some ways seem to defeat the purpose. But what I am more interested in, is the fact that Bryan agreed with this means he must REALLY hold Caleb in high regard. I mean, what else could make a Jersey kid want to give up the chance to play for his hometown team, the one he probably grew up rooting for? That is huge. He is giving that up, along with the ability to have his family come watch him in games and all the other perks of playing for your local team. His faith in what Porter is planning on doing must be big. I am also happy to see this and know that I can continue not caring about Red Bulls since our players will be staying away from there.

Many, including myself, scoffed at the idea of Porter "getting the boys back together" in Portland, but he picked those players to come to Akron for a reason, he saw something special in them. I'll be interested to see if he goes after any other former players. Before, I didn't think he would do it unless it fell into his lap and made just as much sense as any other player, but the fact that he is willing to pay for player's homegrown rights (wonder how much of the trade that cost?) means it is not unfathomable that we could see someone like say, Scott Caldwell, go to Portland.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

I don't think Gallego had a choice. He was not offered a HG contract by NY to turn down. No guarantee he will sign with Portland.

Gavin is available as well. I'm thinking an all UA starting XI within a few years. haha

Makes me want to find out when Opening Day at JeldWen Field takes place in 2013. I've spent time in PDX in March-April while at PSU, so cold and rain won't phase me. Just wonder on ticket availability. Go Timbers :wave:

Makes me want to find out when Opening Day at JeldWen Field takes place in 2013. I've spent time in PDX in March-April while at PSU, so cold and rain won't phase me. Just wonder on ticket availability. Go Timbers :wave:

Interesting you brought up ticket availability as I was just reading this article.

Timbers Announce Sellout of 2013 Season Tickets

Interesting you brought up ticket availability as I was just reading this article.

Timbers Announce Sellout of 2013 Season Tickets

Well, if there are no tickets in rainy Portland, how about the Arizona desert? There MUST be someone from this list who would travel (even a short distance) to see teams from Portland, Seattle, KC and Colorado play! ;) All of them could well have ex-Zips players.

Well, if there are no tickets in rainy Portland, how about the Arizona desert? There MUST be someone from this list who would travel (even a short distance) to see teams from Portland, Seattle, KC and Colorado play! ;) All of them could well have ex-Zips players.

A man of your means goes wherever he wants to go.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more moves have happened. F Ryan Johnson and GK Milos Kocik have been traded to Timbers FC from Toronto. The thing I am most excited about though is the rumor going around now that Porter is about to sign US National team midfielder Mix Diskerud. I guess on top of reuniting Zips he's also going to reunite with some members of his U-23 National team? Mix is currently playing in Norway, and while Norway's league apparently that great, a lot of pundits would argue it's a step backwards to leave opportunities in Europe to come to the US. If the whole thing is true, says a lot about his desire to play for Porter again.

Hopefully he'll get some more guys for these reunions I want to see. Michael Nanchoff? Juan Agudelo? Zarek Valentin? Blair Gavin didn't get picked up in the stage 1 re-entry draft, but I guess it's common for teams to wait for the second stage.

A few more moves have happened. F Ryan Johnson and GK Milos Kocik have been traded to Timbers FC from Toronto. The thing I am most excited about though is the rumor going around now that Porter is about to sign US National team midfielder Mix Diskerud. I guess on top of reuniting Zips he's also going to reunite with some members of his U-23 National team? Mix is currently playing in Norway, and while Norway's league apparently that great, a lot of pundits would argue it's a step backwards to leave opportunities in Europe to come to the US. If the whole thing is true, says a lot about his desire to play for Porter again.

Hopefully he'll get some more guys for these reunions I want to see. Michael Nanchoff? Juan Agudelo? Zarek Valentin? Blair Gavin didn't get picked up in the stage 1 re-entry draft, but I guess it's common for teams to wait for the second stage.

Diskerud's been bigtime lately, he'd be a nice addition.

Gallego was not the only Zip, Porter and Portland were trying to acquire.

Keeping Trapp in Black & Gold

Trapp's coach at Akron and new Portland Timbers Head Coach Caleb Porter apparently made a tempting proposition to the Crew for the midfielder's talents.

"[Portland] was aggressive to relatively more than aggressive to obtain his services," Bliss revealed. "It only makes sense. [Porter] has familiarity with him, but [Trapp] has just as much history with the Crew than he does at Akron. At the end of the day, it doesn't make sense for the club or the player for what we're trying to accomplish here. We respect the fact that they made an offer and some other teams did as well, but it wasn't something we were willing to do."

I wonder if Portland approached Columbus first for Trapp and after getting turned down, went after Gallego to be the future defensive midfielder in Portland or maybe Porter just wanted to stack the Timbers with talent. :D

Gallego was not the only Zip, Porter and Portland were trying to acquire.

Keeping Trapp in Black & Gold

Trapp's coach at Akron and new Portland Timbers Head Coach Caleb Porter apparently made a tempting proposition to the Crew for the midfielder's talents.

"[Portland] was aggressive to relatively more than aggressive to obtain his services," Bliss revealed. "It only makes sense. [Porter] has familiarity with him, but [Trapp] has just as much history with the Crew than he does at Akron. At the end of the day, it doesn't make sense for the club or the player for what we're trying to accomplish here. We respect the fact that they made an offer and some other teams did as well, but it wasn't something we were willing to do."

I wonder if Portland approached Columbus first for Trapp and after getting turned down, went after Gallego to be the future defensive midfielder in Portland or maybe Porter just wanted to stack the Timbers with talent. :D

Wow he really tried that with Wil also? I wonder who else, if anyone, he is tried to acquire the rights to?

Wow he really tried that with Wil also? I wonder who else, if anyone, he is tried to acquire the rights to?

I had talked to Porter about a month ago. he has been trying to get some of his players back. he tried Kofi and was denied. from the article it sounded like tried for Wil. he also stated that he did not even try for Barson as "the crew would never release him since they wanted him after his freshman year". hopefull in the next couple of years as the GA players contracts expire as well as the HG players he can start to sign them as free agents!!

• 4 weeks later...

Timbers' Porter: Valeri will man our attack, free up Nagbe

...“As we build our team, we’re going to have other key players, and I see Darlington being one of our attacking weapons, but certainly not our only attacking weapon,” Porter said. “Good teams have many, and we’re finally getting to the point where we have a diverse attacking group.

"With Darlington, I actually think in some ways he’s more effective when he can flow in and out of the game and pop up and hurt you in moments. I don’t think it will be on him to be the guy on the ball running the show. He’s a young player, and he’s not ready for that role yet. But he’s certainly ready to produce.”...

At least one analyst liked what our former coach did on draft day

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/n...-mls-superdraft

Under the heading Pretty Much Went According To Plan

Portland Timbers – Was this my favorite pick of the draft? Yes, yes it was. First of all, I like Dylan Tucker-Gangnes a lot, and could argue that he’s the most MLS-ready of the center backs on offer, so just on a nuts-and-bolts level, it was the right pick. As important, though, is that Portland took a kid who is Seattle born-and-bred, and University of Washington star, one pick before the Sounders were up. Seattle fans flipped their collective bean in the live chat, on Twitter and elsewhere.

Safe to say the Portland braintrust “gets” the rivalry. (Tucker-Gangnes, by the way, played for Portland's U-23s in the PDL, so it's not a given that the Sounders would have picked him at all. But I still love the way this went down).

starting-coaches.jpg

Look at our boy Caleb, he fits right in! I wonder how much seniority was taken into account when they posed for this picture. You got the old fat guys in the middle, and Porter, Heaps, and Olsen hidden in the back corner.

Only the two finalists are smiling.

I wonder who was the best player in that photo.

Even though I've been following DC pretty closely the past couple years, I can't help but feel closely linked to this Portland team. Wishing for the best for Porter and the Timbers this year. Hopefully Nano makes the team, Darlington finally takes off, Porter has an excellent year and makes it to the MLS final. If they make it to the final against DC, then my allegiance will be tested.