I wonder if this guy is on our radar?

How did LeBron do on the SVSM Freshman team? Or Dru Joyce?

I thought if you were good enough, you played Varsity in 9th grade?

That's true. But Jackson has a veteran team that returns most of the starters from the team that won the Federal League championship last season. TD has played high level AAU ball the last few years also. I've watched a lot of HS basketball the last 3 years and he looks pretty advanced in regards to his age to me. Time will tell.

BTW, nice strawman trying to relate anybody's performance in the 9th grade to Lebron's. I'm also pretty sure that without Lebron, Dru would have not been able to do a lot of the things he was able to pull off as a freshman. I think most of the teams that faced the Irish were more concerned with stopping Lebron than the little skinny guy without the ball.

BTW, nice strawman trying to relate anybody's performance in the 9th grade to Lebron's. I'm also pretty sure that without Lebron, Dru would have not been able to do a lot of the things he was able to pull off as a freshman. I think most of the teams that faced the Irish were more concerned with stopping Lebron than the little skinny guy without the ball.

Forget LeBron then. Dru Joyce went 7-for-7 in a State HS Championship game. All 3-pointers. His Freshman year.

He started for 4 years at a high mid-major D1 program and ranks among the all time leaders in points and assists. All without LeBron.

The top players in HS routinely play on the Varsity team as Freshman and it doesn't matter if you go to a small school or a big school. Mentor is a perennial top school in NE Ohio Basketball that plays Freshman....and by the way very few if any go on to play Div. 1 Basketball.

Who was the last Jackson player to be any good at the D1 level? Jamie Bosley 15 years ago?

I look forward to seeing the 5' 10" phenom lighting it up at the JAR in a couple years....when we play Malone.

Forget LeBron then. Dru Joyce went 7-for-7 in a State HS Championship game. All 3-pointers. His Freshman year.

He started for 4 years at a high mid-major D1 program and ranks among the all time leaders in points and assists. All without LeBron.

Latest tweet: My Dad and the Akron team got their rings today... Stay tuned.

..... PS This thread is eerily familiar!?!?

Good reminder. But I think you may have meant to link to this earlier thread on Egner, where Hilltopper and I were high on him after seeing him for the first time in a HS game. As for young Mr. Dunn, even if he develops into a HS stud and leads the Polar Bears to a state championship, I'd still have the same caution about him that I expressed in the earlier thread about Egner and Henniger:

..... The key is how both players' attributes will transfer to the next level. Either one could turn out better than the other, or both might end up contributing about the same to their respective teams. As a Zips fan, my hope is that Henniger has peaked and that Egner will grow more when faced with the new challenge of college players who are closer to him in physical abilities. There just aren't any guarantees, so all we can do is look at all the positive and negative data and hope for the best outcome. .....

Looking at Henniger's per-game stats so far this season, I'm pretty sure that Egner could match or exceed his old Jackson HS teammate's performance if he were playing 23.9 minutes per game at Can't:

4.8 points

48.3 FG%

58.8 FT%

0.5 assists

4.5 rebounds

0.2 blocks

0.5 steals

The fact that Henniger is averaging 23.9 minutes per game with those stats speaks volumes about where the Can't program is this season. Future Zips opponent Princeton (3-4) visited Can't (5-3) Saturday and led the whole game, winning 62-50. Henniger was scoreless in 22 minutes and had 4 rebounds.

This is one of your guys' kids right?

I know he's not my kid and I know he's not Hilltopper's kid, but I can't speak for anyone else who you might be addressing with that general question. :)

Update on Henniger: He had a scoring outburst of 9 points tonight along with 3 rebounds in 29 minutes against mighty Bucknell, which butchered Can't, 76-60.

• 2 months later...

In a completely unrelated event, I watched the coach's show tonight with KD and Joe Dunn ;)

Joe gets bashed a bit on here, but I'll stand by the guy. Hey at least he knows how to correctly pronounce Brian Walsh's home town of Coraopolis, PA, something the JAR announcer botches EVERY game :)

I also listened to Zips Live and KD had a pretty funny retort to a question that was purportedly tweeted from Romeo Travis. It went something like this:

Rome: Coach, how hard is it to keep a young team focused during a winning streak?

KD: About as hard as it was to keep you focused and away from the women when you were here, Rome!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 years later...