2013 Zips in the MLS, NASL, USLPro Thread

A fantastic read including, Wil Trapp. A new generation of players born into the MLS.

Wil Trapp: One 'Bus Leads Home

Thanks Crew8. I'm looking forward to going to Columbus to support Wil and Chad this season.

...Trapp: “Yeah, I’d say so. I mean, even more so now because of the Home Grown signings, I think. I mean you have kids who played for the Crew academy and have gone to games since they were young. I feel like the fans are really going to be able to relate. It’s hard to go to the games when you don’t know the people and now it is one of those things where ‘Oh, Chad Barson? I went to high school with that kid...

I missed this back in December, but it looks like Wil Trapp had a successful camp with the US U-20s. I hope that he will continue that in 2013.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-20-MNT/2012...-Venezuela.aspx

Wil Trapp initiated the play that resulted in the first U.S. goal in the 13th minute, recovering the ball after a Venezuela turnover and playing it through the center circle to Gil. Gil quickly played the ball onto the path of Villarreal, who was crashing into the left corner of the box. Villarreal slammed a hard shot into the left corner. The ball deflected off the goalkeeper before heading into the goal. ...

The last goal of the game fell in the 85th minute when Trapp played a through ball to Metzger from just outside the center circle. Metzger fired his shot into the right side of the goal from 10 yards out.

Looks like Ives had this back on December 20, 2012. From the Dispatch article: "His signing will push the Crew roster to 22 players. The deal has been finalized for a few weeks."

Unrelated, also from the Crew website concerning the schedule released today:

7/7 - Crew vs. Portland Timbers FC

Former Akron University Head Coach Caleb Porter returns to Ohio in early July, potentially squaring off against former Akron standouts Ben Speas and Wil Trapp.

Barson finally signed with Crew today. Somebody load the link, please.

Crew signs Defender Chad Barson to Homegrown contract

Edit:

The Columbus Crew announced on Thursday it has agreed to a Homegrown contract with Lewis Center native and University of Akron standout Chad Barson. ...

Barson’s signature makes him the fifth Homegrown player in club history after his Akron teammate Wil Trapp signed with the Black & Gold last month. The Lewis Center native recently graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Biology from Akron with a 3.99 Grade Point Average after earning First Team NSCAA All-American honors. Barson started and appeared in 93 out of 95 games during his college career, tying Anthony Ampaipitakwong’s program record in matches played. The three-time All-MAC First Team defender played a team-high 2,254 minutes during the Zips 2010 NCAA Championship-winning season on a team that featured eight players who were on MLS rosters in 2012.

“Chad is a strong addition to our team and a player that we’ve had our eye on for some time,” said Crew Technical Director Brian Bliss.” “We’re obviously familiar with his abilities from our Youth system, and he enjoyed a successful career at the University of Akron. Chad will make a fine pro and we look forward to his contributions.” ...

I still haven't found anything on where Michael Nanchoff or Blair Gavin will play next year. Has anyone heard anything?

After the draft, there will be some movement in teams filling in positions and depth.

I'm curious if Meves will get picked up late in the draft tomorrow or will he need to wait until the supplemental draft.

Meves might have to work his way up to the MLS through the NASL or USL. It worked for Evan Bush.

Montreal just drafted Cleveland St. goalkeeper Brad Stuver. They really like those NE Ohio goalkeepers. I really didn't expect Meves to get drafted today. He might get an opportunity in the supplemental draft.

Montreal just drafted Cleveland St. goalkeeper Brad Stuver. They really like those NE Ohio goalkeepers. We'll see how that effects Evan Bush. I really didn't expect Meves to get drafted today. He might get an opportunity in the supplemental draft.

Montreal just drafted Cleveland St. goalkeeper Brad Stuver. They really like those NE Ohio goalkeepers. I really didn't expect Meves to get drafted today. He might get an opportunity in the supplemental draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_MLS_Supplemental_Draft

Michael Nanchoff will be continuing his career under Caleb Porter at the Portland Timbers

I was wearing a Nagbe Timbers jersey at the Porter farewell 12/12/2012.

Mikey commented to me that he really liked the jersey. ;) Perhaps I should have known then.

Interview: DeAndre Yedline at the SuperDraft I like DeAndre's response to the question about Akron vs Indiana in 2012

MLSSoccer.com Interview: DeAndre Yedlin I always love the questions concerning UA