2013 commit: Jerome Lane

This is according to ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football...746/jerome-lane

6'2" 203lb Athlete from Firestone HS. 3-star LB on both Scout and Rivals.

He's the son of the NBA player by the same name, who once shattered a backboard on a dunk while playing for Pitt.

Welcome aboard, Jerome! :cheers:

EXCELLENT!!! I was really hoping we would land Jerome. When TB played at WVU, the 'eers had a DE from Firestone by the name of Jeff "Bone" Merrow who would later go on to have a successful NFL career with the Atlanta Falcons. With Grice already here, Tommy Brown reportedly in the fold and Jerome signed for 2013, I'd say TB has done a great job of using his familiarity with Firestone HS to the benefit of the Zips. Granted, Cody was already here but he wasn't being fully utlilzed. You can tell by Cody's interviews last year that he REALLY likes playing for this staff, and I have to believe Cody's opinion was instrumental in landing these other guys. Nice job, TB and Cody! Go Zips!!!!

EXCELLENT!!! I was really hoping we would land Jerome. When TB played at WVU, the 'eers had a DE from Firestone by the name of Jeff "Bone" Merrow who would later go on to have a successful NFL career with the Atlanta Falcons. With Grice already here, Tommy Brown reportedly in the fold and Jerome signed for 2013, I'd say TB has done a great job of using his familiarity with Firestone HS to the benefit of the Zips. Granted, Cody was already here but he wasn't being fully utlilzed. You can tell by Cody's interviews last year that he REALLY likes playing for this staff, and I have to believe Cody's opinion was instrumental in landing these other guys. Nice job, TB and Cody! Go Zips!!!!

I agree....I spoke with Cody's dad a few times at games and he really does enjoy playing for this staff. Obviously, the guys from Firestone will know this, so that is a very valuable recruiting tool. These are the type of local recruits that we need to keep around and not escape to the Pitt's, Northwesterns and Iowa's of the world.

I'm not a Scout "insider", but the "teaser" first sentence to this article makes it sound like Jerome wants to try to play both football and basketball at UA. I realize that's highly unlikely in the end, but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Right now I will be more than happy to let the basketball team help in recruiting football players!

I usually avoid ESPN, but happened to turn on Sportscenter and they were talking about Jerome Sr's dunk. Pretty cool that his dunk is still being talked about. I'm sure we'll be seeing that highlight quite frequently if his son can be successful at UA.

I have to admit, I find it pretty amazing that one play that I can't even remember gets this attention, rather than the terrific CAREER that Jerome Lane had, including being the Div 1 rebounding leader. I also remember someone on ESPN looking at a plaque at St Vincent's with the names of the basketball players who had their jerseys retired. The guy knew the LeBron fellow, and Romeo, who was then a Zip, but he asked, "Who is Jerome Lane, and that Colin Irish guy?" (I think I got Colin's name right -- anyone? He led St V's to the state title as a freshman back about 1978/79.) Edit/Update: Alright, I was only off on Curtis Wilson's name by, well, two names... Hope he and Colin Irish weren't looking. :P

I have to admit, I find it pretty amazing that one play that I can't even remember gets this attention, rather than the terrific CAREER that Jerome Lane had, including being the Div 1 rebounding leader. I also remember someone on ESPN looking at a plaque at St Vincent's with the names of the basketball players who had their jerseys retired. The guy knew the LeBron fellow, and Romeo, who was then a Zip, but he asked, "Who is Jerome Lane, and that Colin Irish guy?" (I think I got Colin's name right -- anyone? He led St V's to the state title as a freshman back about 1978/79.) Edit/Update: Alright, I was only off on Curtis Wilson's name by, well, two names... Hope he and Colin Irish weren't looking. :P

Here is an update on Colin Irish for you Z.I.P.

Whatever happened to ... former Cathedral Latin basketball standout Colin Irish?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a chance to see Lane in person last night at the Firestone vs Green basketball game. He is a man among boys, very chiseled and strong. He played the entire 36 minutes of the game. He had 17 points but Firestone was never really in the game losing 72-45. Kevin Gladney was also on the team. He signed with Nebraska as a wide receiver. I hope he is a better football player than he is a basketball player, because he was awful. If Firestone is the best team in the City Series it isn't saying much. The whole team had no chance against Green last night.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...