Bowl has been sold for huge profit!

Wally B

OHIO DOT COM

The University of Akron agreed Wednesday morning to sell the Rubber Bowl to a Canton-based marketing group that seeks to place a United States Football League team in the facility.

The Team1 Marketing Group will pay $38,000 for the 6.8-acre bowl and one foot around the perimeter.

The proposed team would be called the Akron Fire. camp-fire-smiley.gif

BJ is reporting that UA has agreed to sell the Rubber Bowl for $38,000. It was originally purchased for $1. Does this mean we actually got a good return on our investment??

:bow:

I think the last game ESPN broadcast from the Rubber Bowl was against Marshall. When Announcer one mentioned that the University had purchased the Rubber Bowl for $1 from the city, Announcer two stated "The University got taken". ;)

I like that the article mentions the movement in 1986 to put a dome on the Rubber Bowl. Not many people remember that.

Coach Faust used to like to tout that idea, if I recall correctly. I remember thinking, at the time, the perfect name for the modified facility would have been.......

The CondomE :D

The place needs completely revamped. All places (locker rooms, restroom, press box, etc) have been (completely) destroyed by vandals. If the place was considered a dump before.... I don't know how to classify it now. Most of the bleachers are cracked (more-so now) some are even broken off and or missing. I just don't see them being able to fix it up by start of the league in 2014 even if they started today!

Again, why not just use the Info? UA concessions would get to keep all concessions $$$, or something along those lines?

I just don't understand. We've literally one of the nicest football stadiums in the country adjacent to downtown bars & restaurants, but they would rather play in the Rubber Bowl?

Again, why not just use the Info? UA concessions would get to keep all concessions $$$, or something along those lines?

I just don't understand. We've literally one of the nicest football stadiums in the country adjacent to downtown bars & restaurants, but they would rather play in the Rubber Bowl?

:rolleyes:

That was one of the issues. They wanted to keep the money from the concessions, and UA said no. I can see things getting done by 2014. Lockerooms, offices, etc. that are underneath are no problem. I also them at first, just renovating the seating on the 2-sides and not doing anything with the closed end for the immediate future.

I'll be shocked if a real game is ever played there. The place is a wreck. Hope they paid cash.

The end zone seating was closed off the last couple of years the Zips played there due to safety issues.

I'm guessing this sale lets a business guy say he has a place to play (on paper).

The same reason no hockey team could make it in Cleveland under the terms of the lease with the Q. That is, until the owner of the hockey team was the owner of the Q.

First off, the name "Fire" is terrible and so stupid that it's offensive to me. Why not name them the "pros"? It's not like it's a registered trademark or anything.

Second, had a chance to walk the grounds not too long ago. The place is in BAD shape. The locker rooms are still as they were left after the last game, with soda cans and even some athletic training supplies (needles/tape/etc.) still down there. Yes, no joke there were still sterile needles in drawers. The press box was so bad that I'm almost certain that they will need to demolish and rebuild it, considering no windows remained, some equipment was destroyed all over the inside, and entire walls were busted out.

Anyway, the place looks awful. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of money it will take to make it game-ready. That being said, I can't wait to tailgate in the grass once again!

First off, the name "Fire" is terrible and so stupid that it's offensive to me. Why not name them the "pros"? It's not like it's a registered trademark or anything.

Second, had a chance to walk the grounds not too long ago. The place is in BAD shape. The locker rooms are still as they were left after the last game, with soda cans and even some athletic training supplies (needles/tape/etc.) still down there. Yes, no joke there were still sterile needles in drawers. The press box was so bad that I'm almost certain that they will need to demolish and rebuild it, considering no windows remained, some equipment was destroyed all over the inside, and entire walls were busted out.

Anyway, the place looks awful. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of money it will take to make it game-ready. That being said, I can't wait to tailgate in the grass once again!

How were you able to walk the grounds? I never attended a game there, but I love running on that road with the Rubber Bowl, Derby Downs and Airdock and always wish I could just hop in there-

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of money it will take to make it game-ready.

Neither can they. That's why they bought it.

It's not a bad investment if you look at it as a possible tax write off for the investors. If the league goes belly up without ever playing a game or spending a dime for renovation it can be a tax write off for the investors.

Any way I look at it, I don't see this league ever playing a game. I think there is a place for spring football in the US, just not this way.

If the U of A AD had PERIODICALLY spent money to update the Bowl they could have saved a helluva lot of money. To sit in the stands and watch,it wasn't a bad place. Obviously, Info hasn't dragged in the throngs of students as advertised.

There is no way that Info will ever return the investment. Goodbye to the Bowl old friend.