Bowl has been sold for huge profit!

Wally B

Parker, it was a good read. I just have a hard time seeing their dream coming to life. The one thing that jumped out at me was the comment about suites. There currently aren't any and the article said they wanted to add to the existing. Where and how would they be built?

Actually, there is a picture on website (and story in the magazine of them). It is the room with shattered glass everywhere.

The press box has two stories. I was told that the bottom floor was a suite. I assumed that it was the president's suite or something. Upstairs is clearly for press and game day officials. Then they also had a wooden structure that we were afraid to get on because it looked very dangerous that was once press row also.

If I understood correctly, they want to put some on the opposite side of where the press box is. In a perfect world, there would be so much demand that they would build suites literally around the place side-by-side.

• 9 months later...

Small Update

Obviously most of you heard that the USFL had gone through some trouble over the summer. Team 1 has all but abandoned their dream of putting a team of that league in the Rubber Bowl. They have instead decided that they are going to focus on high school football, concerts, MMA, boxing and putting some sort of circus inside the stadium.

They are currently working on demolishing most of the Bowl to make it just concrete.

MOST IMPORTANTLY--Dome

they are going to put a dome on the Rubber Bowl. The airport has cleared it and the design is almost finished. The airport gave them restrictions that the group must meet and they have every intention of meeting those.

Small Update

Obviously most of you heard that the USFL had gone through some trouble over the summer. Team 1 has all but abandoned their dream of putting a team of that league in the Rubber Bowl. They have instead decided that they are going to focus on high school football, concerts, MMA, boxing and putting some sort of circus inside the stadium.

They are currently working on demolishing most of the Bowl to make it just concrete.

MOST IMPORTANTLY--Dome

they are going to put a dome on the Rubber Bowl. The airport has cleared it and the design is almost finished. The airport gave them restrictions that the group must meet and they have every intention of meeting those.

I'm going out on a limb and guess if you didn't get voted "most gullible" in your high school class, you came pretty close to winning.

He has believed every particle of hot air these idiots have spouted since day 1.

I never thought that they were actually going to put a Dome on the Bowl. However, it has been nine months and they have the all clear from the the airport. They are closer now than they have been. I think that would be a several years away.

I did believe that they were going to be able to play high school football games in the Bowl again. They likely will. I kind of brought into the USFL too, but the felonies quickly diminished any realistic hope. They want to find a pro football league still, according to the Beacon, but I don't think it will happen. At least not anytime soon.

I believe that the Rubber Bowl will be turned into an entertainment venue. They may or may not reach their goal of July 4th.

I wish I had come across these geniuses before they blew their wad on the Rubber Bowl. Icould have come up with an equally viable scheme.

If the USFL was going to work out (no way it could, even before the legal trouble) it would have been the anchor for the whole project. Now there is none. They were looking for other leagues, but minor league football has pretty much dried up. Unless you're talking about arena football, and even that is not what it once was.

Unless they find events to anchor this project, I don't see it working out.

I wish I had come across these geniuses before they blew their wad on the Rubber Bowl. Icould have come up with an equally viable scheme.

If the USFL was going to work out (no way it could, even before the legal trouble) it would have been the anchor for the whole project. Now there is none. They were looking for other leagues, but minor league football has pretty much dried up. Unless you're talking about arena football, and even that is not what it once was.

Unless they find events to anchor this project, I don't see it working out.

If Ohio legalizes pot, a domed Rubber Bowl will provide an excellent 12-month per year grow center. That's it, a grow center is the perfect event to make this thing work out.

I've seen the guy who bought the Rubber Bowl during that awesome auction (I'm being totally sarcastic it was far from awesome).

Let's just say he didn't strike me as any kind of financial genius.

MMA? Circus? High school football when there's already Infocision? Uh, that growing sport of...boxing??? These ideas are really stupid, and not even nearly as good as the marijuana grow center concept that was proposed in jest.

This area will be a trailer park, once again, if anything.

I've seen the guy who bought the Rubber Bowl during that awesome auction (I'm being totally sarcastic it was far from awesome).

Let's just say he didn't strike me as any kind of financial genius.

MMA? Circus? High school football when there's already Infocision? Uh, that growing sport of...boxing??? These ideas are really stupid, and not even nearly as good as the marijuana grow center concept that was proposed in jest.

This area will be a trailer park, once again, if anything.

Maybe he'll tear it down and build an arena there.

Let's just say he didn't strike me as any kind of financial

I actually talked to him and tried to explain to him that the auctioneer was losing him money by not accepting bids on the bleachers after the initial "one" bleacher was sold. He laughed at me and said no I am making money regardless. I said you better think about this one. A few minutes later he went over and whispered to the auctioneer and strangely they opened more bids and from my account sold at least 6 more bleachers. He is not a genius, or anything close! This disaster is going to run them into the ground, no doubt.

Maybe he'll tear it down and build an arena there.

That was a joke but think about it. All of the events he wants to hold are arena events. He has a much better chance of having an arena football team (and having it survive) than a minor league real football team (if there was a viable league).

If it were professionally done, would the U put the basketball games there instead of the gym? Think about it.

The university and the city get a new arena without years of whining about who's going to pay for it.

The downtown site fans can't whine that it's on campus. The campus site fans can't whine that it's downtown.

And he gets a solid anchor for the place.

Purely a joke. But it makes a hell of a lot more sense than rebuilding the Bowl. ;)

• 3 months later...

It's just all crazy. I mean, the U already determined years ago that it wasn't worth the improvements. And that was just to continue to make it usable as an OUTDOOR football stadium 6 times a year. I think these guys are really living in a fantasy world. One idea fell through, so they have another one that is even more bizarre. It's actually getting entertaining, and really makes for some great conversation between friends.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...