Bowl has been sold for huge profit!

Wally B

‘Loud Fest’ moves from Akron’s Rubber Bowl after police concerns

“Loud Fest 2015” was scheduled for today at the privately-owned stadium, which doesn’t have electricity or working restrooms. Owner of the Agora Theatre and Ballroom Chris Zitterbart said the event has been moved to the Agora Theatre on Saturday.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow.  These fellas don't give up.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/rubber-bowl-owners-face-new-obstacle-to-reopening-the-stadium-1.709162

Despite the struggles in moving forward, the investors are still interested in breathing new life into the stadium, which has fallen into significant disrepair.

Edited by Blue & Gold

We are certainly missing something here. Either someone is lying or the city is just being difficult.

Why would they not want someone to fix the RB and make it useable?

I would think they would give as much support as possible to fix ti up and get rid of the eyesore. I guess they just want another Rolling acres mall situation.

42 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

We are certainly missing something here. Either someone is lying or the city is just being difficult.

Why would they not want someone to fix the RB and make it useable?

I would think they would give as much support as possible to fix ti up and get rid of the eyesore. I guess they just want another Rolling acres mall situation.

There is no "another" Rolling Acres with the Rubber Bowl. It is already there, and has been there for a while. 

The reason the city isn't embracing this plan, IMO, stems from this group thinking $11 million in renovations is all that is needed. That was minimally feasible, at best, when UA was still maintaining the property 10 years ago. The RB is 100 times worse now. No way can $11 million get it back to functioning.

I'm a believer in not tearing down historical structures (and Rolling Acres is not one of them, btw, and needs to be torn down ... not that it would help make Romig Road look any better, since it needs a whole lot more than just getting rid of Rolling Acres), but unfortunately, it is time for Rubber Bowl to go. There just isn't any conceivable reuse for that property, considering you have InfoCision in a much higher-visibly part of town and, for outdoor concerts, Blossom is less than 10 miles away.

The RB is actually more of an eyesore than Rolling Acres because it's actually in a part of town where people across the country still go to. Nobody goes to Romig, but thousands of people across the country go to Derby Downs every year. Way to welcome them to Akron as they enter that area by passing a dilapidated Rubber Bowl.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I agree,this needs gone faster than Rolling Acres (and someday Chapel Hill). 

The city has gone to great lengths to rid South Main/I-76 of dilapidated buildings. This should be next on their radar.

I hate to see it go, I have so many memories. But it's already gone. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to see the Rubber Bowl in such disrepair.  When they first announced that Iowa State was going to play at Akron, my mind went to memories of the Soap Box Derby on TV as a kid and seeing the stadium on visits to the area.  

I clicked around on some of the links in this thread and saw that the field still seems to be in decent shape.  Is it still used?  If not, why didn't they auction the endzone turf?  Or at least the logo?  That would be really cool to have.  Given the apparent lack of security, I'm surprised no one has cut it out and taken it.  

On 5/30/2017 at 1:10 PM, Cykron said:

Sorry to see the Rubber Bowl in such disrepair.  When they first announced that Iowa State was going to play at Akron, my mind went to memories of the Soap Box Derby on TV as a kid and seeing the stadium on visits to the area.  

I clicked around on some of the links in this thread and saw that the field still seems to be in decent shape.  Is it still used?  If not, why didn't they auction the endzone turf?  Or at least the logo?  That would be really cool to have.  Given the apparent lack of security, I'm surprised no one has cut it out and taken it.  

They did have an auction for a lot of the stuff inside the stadium (mostly garbage) a couple of years ago.  The field I believe was always left intact because it was basically the most valuable part of the RB, and any future possible entity looking to buy the RB would have wanted that as part of the deal.  I think a couple of people here have reported that even it was starting to show some wear though.

The entire stadium is no longer used.  There were hopes to sell thing to a third-party developer; an outside music venue, a summer football league venue, a domed music venue (was the most laughable one we've heard).  

• 3 months later...

You know, when you think about it, we, or Akron, or Ohio or the U.S. Government sure got its moneys worth out of the Rubber Bowl.  Look at how long it lasted, how many years it was in service to all sorts of events.  K92's link to the facebook page with all the cool old memorabilia form the Bowl really struck that theme home.  Now just look across the landscape and see how many taxpayer funded facilities are sitting idle while another taxpayer funder facility was brought on line.  I was in Michigan a lot this past year and have clients in the shadow of the Palace on Auburn Hills, and then drive down the road to Pontiac and see the ruble that was the Silver Dome.  Of course we know what happened here with the Coliseum vs. Gateway.  And I'm going to Atlanta this week, and I will be able to see a new bazillion dollar facility for the Falcons, built right next to a perfectly good and usable Georgia Dome....right next to it for crying out loud!  So Bang for our Buck  (or whomever's) was sure on the positive side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZachTheZip said:

If only we could airlift the tailgating field and put it outside the Info.

It would have to exist in some kind of vortex, or else they would have to tear down most of the campus to fit it in. 

Was actually in Akron and stopped by the Bowl last weekend. The entire area of town just seems like it's been lost to a time in the distant past when Akron was in its heyday.