Bowl has been sold for huge profit!

Wally B

24 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Notice anything unusual about the photo accompanying the story of Billy Gs visit to the Rubber Bowl?

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/billy-graham-set-attendance-record-when-he-preached-at-the-rubber-bowl-in-the-1950s

Other than it’s Municipal Stadium?:lol:

Photo 9/9 in the slide show is actually of the Rubber Bowl. 

Did anyone else see the Cleveland Force when they played outdoor exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl?

Bert Wolstein wanted an outdoor soccer team, but couldn't find a venue, and the outdoor soccer leagues were a disaster during that time. If he had lived we would have an MLS team in northeast Ohio.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 8:19 AM, Spin said:

Did anyone else see the Cleveland Force when they played outdoor exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl?

Bert Wolstein wanted an outdoor soccer team, but couldn't find a venue, and the outdoor soccer leagues were a disaster during that time. If he had lived we would have an MLS team in northeast Ohio.

And a mega-pipeline right in their backyard.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:19 AM, Spin said:

Spin -- was that during the 1980s?  The only outdoor pro team I remember in Cleveland was the Cleveland Cobras, in the 70s.  I guess they must have been in the NASL.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:09 PM, Z.I.P. said:

Spin -- was that during the 1980s?  The only outdoor pro team I remember in Cleveland was the Cleveland Cobras, in the 70s.  I guess they must have been in the NASL.

The Force played a several exhibition games at the Rubber Bowl, mid 80's. They played NASL teams. 

The Cobras were an ASL team, an older, smaller budget league than the NASL. They played their home games at BW. That's about all I remember of that team.

Edited by Spin

• 2 weeks later...

What's the latest on the demolition of the Rubber Bowl?  For instance, are they just going to leave the press box like this?  I can't find any photos since the ones posted above.  Rest-in-pieces.  

image.png

The good old days. 

Fans wait in line to buy tickets to the 33rd annual Acme-Zip Game at the Rubber Bowl on September 6, 1986. In head coach Gerry Faust's debut, Akron shut out Salem College, 35-0, before a crowd of 35,202.

Borrowed from Akron Rubber Bowl Memories

RubberBowl.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Cykron said:

What's the latest on the demolition of the Rubber Bowl?  For instance, are they just going to leave the press box like this?  I can't find any photos since the ones posted above.  Rest-in-pieces.  

image.png

I drove by yesterday, and the picture of the heavy equipment tearing down the west stands must have been taken right before they quit and left. That is all they did was dig a hole in the stands under the press box and leave. The press box was not touched. They also put up concrete barricades to try to keep people out.

Stay classy Akron. Way to make a crap hole look 10x worse.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I think the "engineering solution" for the east and south stands should be to punch holes in the concrete every 15 feet or so and plant big-tree saplings so the hillsides return to scenic woods, breaking up and hiding the decay, and providing permanent stability for the embankments and road.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2019 at 2:33 PM, ZippyRulz said:

I think the "engineering solution" for the east and south stands should be to punch holes in the concrete every 15 feet or so and plant big-tree seedlings so the hillsides return to scenic woods, breaking up and hiding the decay, and providing permanent stability for the embankments.

Kinda like the Lee Jackson Track???????

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, ZippyRulz said:

GoFundMe?

I'd donate....but I'm a bit of a moron anyway, and I'd think that even at "free" the U would pay to maintain it and keep it up, and not plnt trees next to it, at least trees whose root systems might be a problem.  

9 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I'd donate....but I'm a bit of a moron anyway, and I'd think that even at "free" the U would pay to maintain it and keep it up, and not plnt trees next to it, at least trees whose root systems might be a problem.  

If they pint artificial trees maintenance costs should be low and the root system will definitely not be a problem.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...