Bowl has been sold for huge profit!

Wally B

The City of Akron needs to have a plan for this eyesore.

Do something to help an area of town that has people from all over North America visiting each year for the Soapbox Derby.  This idea cleans up the area, gives part of the structure some purpose and becomes a Metropark.

Saw this suggestion before about making it similar to the  Cleveland Metroparks -Strongsville Toboggan Chutes & Chalet...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi5pZOi8Oj2AhVRbs0KHRUHBlIQFnoECBMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.clevelandmetroparks.com%2Fparks%2Fvisit%2Factivities%2Factivity-types%2Ftobogganing&usg=AOvVaw3YKYH9bqBIjIQtCzcuCpOZ

Edited by Akron1
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, GoZips86 said:

I don't play games much anymore, but if Akron is included in the revival game coming out this year (I think), I'll buy! 

I have it on good authority that they will not be included!  I guess that's what 0-12 will do to you.....  sigh

On 3/28/2022 at 10:19 AM, dre22era said:

I continue to be amazed at how folks up there in the Akron area are basically content with continuing to be subjected to mediocrity in regards to how that region is ran by the local government. 

Why wouldn't they be content?  They vote for it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 8:24 PM, zipsfan33 said:

I have it on good authority that they will not be included!  I guess that's what 0-12 will do to you.....  sigh

I download Zips uniforms and floor for NBA 2K games, and rename the players. It's NBA rules, but it's better than nothing. And you need a couple centers.

Best we can do with Madden is use older Rams jerseys and  rename the players.

Some years when I'm ambitious I redo the player ratings. 

It's a gamer thing. I go back to pong on a portable black and white TV.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spin said:

I download Zips uniforms and floor for NBA 2K games, and rename the players. It's NBA rules, but it's better than nothing. And you need a couple centers.

Best we can do with Madden is use older Rams jerseys and  rename the players.

Some years when I'm ambitious I redo the player ratings. 

It's a gamer thing. I go back to pong on a portable black and white TV.

If I had the time....  I still have my PS3 thinking someday I want to play NCAA again and take Akron back to prominence.... with me as the QB!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, Spin said:

This was probably posted before, but brings back a lot of memories…

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/lifestyle/2014/09/21/local-history-acme-zip-game/10606501007/

A side note from that ABJ article. Marion Rossi and John Cistone both went on to have long careers as local High school football coaches. Rossi at Garfield as Babe Flossie's right hand man and Cistone at StVSm as a head coach. Both are inducted into the Summit county sports Hall of Fame.

"McMullen couldn’t decide whether to start Marion Rossi or Johnny Cistone at quarterback. Two days before the game, he was still unsure."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

A side note from that ABJ article. Marion Rossi and John Cistone both went on to have long careers as local High school football coaches. Rossi at Garfield as Babe Flossie's right hand man and Cistone at StVSm as a head coach. Both are inducted into the Summit county sports Hall of Fame.

"McMullen couldn’t decide whether to start Marion Rossi or Johnny Cistone at quarterback. Two days before the game, he was still unsure."

I've seen that John Cistone (Sr. that is, I went to Green with junior before he transferred to St Vs) is a member of the Akron Hall of Fame.  However, it appears his greatest performances were in baseball rather than football. 

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Akron to tear down the rest of the Rubber Bowl.  The estimated the cost of the demolition is $750,000. The city has applied for a state grant that would cover 80% of the project.

Good to hear. Too bad Akron couldn't have taken care of this long ago. Then again I guess it never would have existed without federal money.