Bowl has been sold for huge profit!

Wally B

2 hours ago, scottditzen said:

It would have to exist in some kind of vortex, or else they would have to tear down most of the campus to fit it in. 

Was actually in Akron and stopped by the Bowl last weekend. The entire area of town just seems like it's been lost to a time in the distant past when Akron was in its heyday. 

Yeah, scottditzen is right.  I had to detour through that area last week as I76 was closed for an accident, and it was rather strange.  The bowl of course, but the airport looked real run down, the hanger needs serious paint, but that won't happen.  Dilly's is about the only active place, with the Runway looking closed and whatever the Hell Ice was/is looking that way as well.  Even the custard stand looked like it was about to fall over....

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Yeah, scottditzen is right.  I had to detour through that area last week as I76 was closed for an accident, and it was rather strange.  The bowl of course, but the airport looked real run down, the hanger needs serious paint, but that won't happen.  Dilly's is about the only active place, with the Runway looking closed and whatever the Hell Ice was/is looking that way as well.  Even the custard stand looked like it was about to fall over....

The airport is doing fine. The FBO is busy and all hangers are full. The old terminal is used as corporate headquarters for Theken, a medical implant manufacturing company. They are also building a large addition right next door. Stricklands still fills the parking lots most nights and the other bars seem busy too. The blimp hanger was just re-skined in the last 10 years.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/who-we-are/eesh/remediation/akron.html

5 hours ago, dre22era said:

I drove through Akron last week. 
Akron seems like one big construction zone right now. 
I feel bad for out of towners because with MLK expressway closed and grant street off ramp closed it is a challenge to get downtown from 77. 

So right dre...watched my daughter run the marathon Saturday.  Went to my usual spot on Glenwood to watch her run by, then tried to go to the old Metzgers to pick her up there, and had a helluva time trying to go through allthe detours and the road closings for the race...GAWD!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

The airport is doing fine. The FBO is busy and all hangers are full. The old terminal is used as corporate headquarters for Theken, a medical implant manufacturing company. They are also building a large addition right next door. Stricklands still fills the parking lots most nights and the other bars seem busy too. The blimp hanger was just re-skined in the last 10 years.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/who-we-are/eesh/remediation/akron.html

Well when I was there there the airport was empty. Same with the Derby. And there was no signs of life anywhere. Except for Hoppin Frog, which was where my friends and I were attending a party - after a funeral. 

My perceptions have changed quite a bit since I left Akron 20 years ago, but for me, it was not a good experience being there.  I had the opportunity to work all over the most forgotten parts of Appalachia for my job, and many parts of Akron have that same feel of desperation, and hopelessness in the air. 

I wish Akron the best, but it's not my place anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

You guys who get to travel a lot have a whole different perspective of the area than those of us who never leave the Rust Belt. Even on vacations we go to Tennessee or Kentucky, next year Michigan on our annual NASCAR trip.

This sort of thing has a "normal" feel to it for a lot of people.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:09 PM, dre22era said:

I drove through Akron last week. 
Akron seems like one big construction zone right now. 
I feel bad for out of towners because with MLK expressway closed and grant street off ramp closed it is a challenge to get downtown from 77. 

The majority of MLK is still open...I drive it everyday.  Everything up to the interbelt is still open.  You've got Cedar, Exchange, Market, and (one other one I can't remember right now) still accessible from MLK expressway/I-77.  Exchange is a CLUSTER though.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2017/09/26/cincinnati-leapfrogs-cleveland-columbus-no-1-economy-ohio-28th-nationwide/703487001/

But improving growth rates were the exception rather than the rule across most of Ohio.

Most state metros showed either stagnant or declining GDP growth tied to lower oil prices and slowing manufacturing growth.

The biggest exception was Akron, where the economy grew at the fastest rate of all economies in Ohio at 5.5 percent - the 8th fastest-growing economy in the country last year. That helped boost Akron up two spots nationally to the 75th largest economy with GDP of $37.3 billion in 2016.

Akron is booming for the first time in decades. It's not typical rust belt desperation and decay. Perhaps that broadened perspective gained from your travels needs to be re-calibrated a bit, scottditzen.

Edited by ZachTheZip
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Turf from the Rubber Bowl will not be made available.  The turf is glued to the concrete.

awwww, c'mon.... who doesn't want a large chunk of turf covered concrete for Christmas?

Could make them in 2" cubes, add some string, and call them ornaments...

We should buy the whole damn lot of concrete and do this ourselves as a fundraiser!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Turf from the Rubber Bowl will not be made available.  The turf is glued to the concrete.

Gotta figure out how to grab a piece of something to put over my fireplace. Any ideas? Last game at the Bowl in 2008. Against who? The Buffalo Bulls. Several OT's. Great game to watch. Unfortunately UB(with James Starks) won the game. Probably cost the Zips any realistic chance of winning another division.

• 7 months later...

In 1973 my parents were out waking and my dad said they went by the Rubber Bowl to see how the new turf was going in. While walking by they saw one of the workers stash a large piece behind the bushes at the top of the bowl by George Washington. So a neighbor and I went and saved it for ourselves. I'm sure there was a disappointed construction worker at the end of the day but we carpeted a nice area of our basement for years. It may still be there, or the current owners may not know what an awesome piece of history they had/have.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steve1982 said:

In 1973 my parents were out waking and my dad said they went by the Rubber Bowl to see how the new turf was going in. While walking by they saw one of the workers stash a large piece behind the bushes at the top of the bowl by George Washington. So a neighbor and I went and saved it for ourselves. I'm sure there was a disappointed construction worker at the end of the day but we carpeted a nice area of our basement for years. It may still be there, or the current owners may not know what an awesome piece of history they had/have.

Every worker on the site was stealing turf.  I knew one of the guys who used it to surround the in-ground trampoline in his back yard. He gave me a nice chunk of it which has been a part of my office decor ever since.

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2018 at 6:52 PM, lance99 said:

Only tearing down part of it.  Why not all?  Seems like it will be quite a monument to forsaken past if they don't clean it up entirely.  

3 hours ago, Cykron said:

Only tearing down part of it.  Why not all?  Seems like it will be quite a monument to forsaken past if they don't clean it up entirely.  

It was built into a hill so part of it serves as a big retaining wall with a road running along the top. That and the shortage of funds.

• Thanks 1