@BGSU game thread

K92

ESPN used a unique method of keeping score on their gametracker. In the game flow they gave all Forsythe's points to BGSU. Using this system, with15 seconds left (when they lost the feed) we were down by 2 points. Exciting. :)

OK, I think I have this all figured out, 'Meister. We all know Dan Dakich coached BG for a number of years. He left BG briefly (I think it may have been 22 hours, 17 minutes and 4 seconds) to take the head coaching job at WVU, but changed his mind and went back to BG (super career move, Dan). Since Forsythe transferred to UA from WVU, naturally his points follow the old trail from Morgantown to Bowling Green blazed by Coach Dakich. I'm sure I'm not telling you something you didn't already know.

Just got home from a nice anniversary dinner with my wife. I thought I'd be checking the score on my cell phone. But I'm happy to say that my wife got all of my attention during the game, and I got home just in time to see the final score. Looking at the game flow, it appears that the Zips didn't really start taking control until about 2 minutes left in the first half. They also allowed BGSU to get back into the game midway through the second half. Then again, I'd better not put too much faith in the play-by-play posted on ESPN, as they still credit Forsythe's 8 points to BGSU, and show the Zips losing, 60-63. Oh well.

I see that Zeke didn't get a block, but was 7-9 from the field. So his offensive stats continue to grow at a high level. Zeke and Pat combined were 11-15 from the field. Tree continued his high level of play with 5-10 from the field and 11 rebounds. And Rico was 3-5 on 3-pointers with 6 assists and just 1 turnover. On the other hand, Melo had 3 turnovers in backup time. So just from looking at the stats, there wasn't a lot different from most of the recent games. The Zips have done what they needed to do to set up the OU game as the time for the whole team to play together at a higher level.

I think the starters played great and Forsythe had a great game off the bench. Chauncy had an unusual game in that he did not take a shot. It shows that he can play well without shooting. Alex had only one turnover the entire game. Tree not only scored and rebounded but had some great passes to Zeke.

Our bench still has room for improvement. Kreitzer shot poorly and was pushed around under the boards. McAdams shot a 3 and after the miss his man beat him down the court for an easy 3. Bentacourt, 3 turnovers in 9 minutes and the ugliest foul shot of the season. Ibitayo did not hit a shot. We need more from these guys in close games. I think Kreitzer and McAdams need to do more offensively than shoot the 3 ball.

Can't wait till Saturday. If Alex has another great game I think we will be hard to beat.

...it appears that the Zips didn't really start taking control until about 2 minutes left in the first half. They also allowed BGSU to get back into the game midway through the second half. I see that Zeke didn't get a block, but was 7-9 from the field. So his offensive stats continue to grow at a high level. Zeke and Pat combined were 11-15 from the field. Tree continued his high level of play with 5-10 from the field and 11 rebounds. And Rico was 3-5 on 3-pointers with 6 assists and just 1 turnover. On the other hand, Melo had 3 turnovers in backup time. So just from looking at the stats, there wasn't a lot different from most of the recent games.
This is what happens when someone doesn't watch a game and just looks at stats. At no time were the Zips ever not in control of this game. They dominated last night. Of course a lot of things go into to that, but IMO Alex played two halves of good basketball. He needs to be sharp for the Zips to be at their best. He was last night, and it made all the difference. Zeke was the beneficiary of some excellent ball movement. Probably the least he had to work for points. The way he scored last night was the way I envisioned when he first signed with Akron. Harney to Tree to Zeke was one of the Zips best offensive plays this season. Another well coached game. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm glad it did, three well designed plays off of a timeout!?!? I fell off my coach on two of them. Tree is becoming a force that has to be reckoned with, it seems a team now must game plan against him leaving Zeke open for some daisies. KD saying Tree could be the best player the Zips ever had kind of surprised me. Not that it can't be true, just that KD said it. The team last night looked much different from games of recent past this year. I hope the progress continues Saturday.

This is what happens when someone doesn't watch a game and just looks at stats. .....

Wrong. This is what happens when ESPN posts an erroneous play by play with Forsythe's points being given to BGSU, making the game appear much closer than it was. Looking at the corrected play by play, it's clear that the Zips were in control all the way.

This is what happens when someone doesn't watch a game and just looks at stats. At no time were the Zips ever not in control of this game. They dominated last night. Of course a lot of things go into to that, but IMO Alex played two halves of good basketball. He needs to be sharp for the Zips to be at their best. He was last night, and it made all the difference. Zeke was the beneficiary of some excellent ball movement. Probably the least he had to work for points. The way he scored last night was the way I envisioned when he first signed with Akron. Harney to Tree to Zeke was one of the Zips best offensive plays this season. Another well coached game. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm glad it did, three well designed plays off of a timeout!?!? I fell off my coach on two of them. Tree is becoming a force that has to be reckoned with, it seems a team now must game plan against him leaving Zeke open for some daisies. KD saying Tree could be the best player the Zips ever had kind of surprised me. Not that it can't be true, just that KD said it. The team last night looked much different from games of recent past this year. I hope the progress continues Saturday.

Last night was full of surprises with KD. In a move that may never happen again, I believe we went through a short stretch around the 12 min mark of the second half where there were 3 time outs--one when Reggie was tied up, one called by BG and the 12 minute TO and not once did KD make a substitution coming out of the TO's. Unheard of, to say the least!!

Last night was full of surprises with KD. In a move that may never happen again, I believe we went through a short stretch around the 12 min mark of the second half where there were 3 time outs--one when Reggie was tied up, one called by BG and the 12 minute TO and not once did KD make a substitution coming out of the TO's. Unheard of, to say the least!!
Agreed. Like I said something has change. I'm glad it did. I have a little more confidence that our team is getting help that other teams are afforded.

Wrong. This is what happens when ESPN posts an erroneous play by play with Forsythe's points being given to BGSU, making the game appear much closer than it was. Looking at the corrected play by play, it's clear that the Zips were in control all the way.
I'm not writing about whatever erroneous stat (redundant by the way) you are speaking of. I'm talking about your evaluation from looking at a box score. Specifically "there wasn't a lot different from most of the recent games" There was.

I'm not writing about whatever erroneous stat (redundant by the way) you are speaking of. I'm talking about your evaluation from looking at a box score. Specifically "there wasn't a lot different from most of the recent games" There was.

Thanks for making your point clearer to me. Of course I understand that there are a lot of different things that could be happening that wouldn't necessarily show up in the stats. That's why I said that there wasn't a lot different in the stats from previous games instead of making a blanket statement that there wasn't much different in a game I hadn't watched. I prefer both seeing games with my own eyes and looking at the stats for a more complete picture than limiting myself to one or the other. YMMV.