Marla Talks Attendance

During that winter break period, OhioU had ~4500 against Buffalo on a Saturday. That's ~1000 less than Akron had against the same team earlier this season.(in an arena twice as large, I might add)

Besides, OU is coming off a sweet 16 appearance. If they aren't averaging >5000 there's a problem.

the Buffalo game was on a Wednesday, not a Saturday, which makes a difference. Through 4 MAC games attendance is averaging 7,642, and that includes the Buffalo game, so I don't see it as problematic. The bigger problem is the 3 biggest MAC draws- Can't, Akron, and Miami Can't is tomorrow at 11am so there's concern the students won't show up, hence the free McDonalds breakfast promo, the Akron game is on Wednesday which will knock a couple of thousand off and the Miami game is during Spring Break so the big home games aren't going to be as big this year, unfortunately. Ohio's two biggest games, attendance wise might end up being Portland and Bowling Green. weird.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm taking two of my sons to their first college basketball game tonight. My oldest is watching more and more hoops since Akron has got so much press this year. He's never liked basketball before (like myself who never liked basketball before the Hot Rod/Daugherty/Price).

Can you get GA seats early or that that all walk-up? Don't want to get shut out. This is the first year in the last 5 I haven't had a student ID to use.

I'm taking two of my sons to their first college basketball game tonight. My oldest is watching more and more hoops since Akron has got so much press this year. He's never liked basketball before (like myself who never liked basketball before the Hot Rod/Daugherty/Price).

Can you get GA seats early or that that all walk-up? Don't want to get shut out. This is the first year in the last 5 I haven't had a student ID to use.

You can get GA online. You'll just print the tickets off at home & take them with you; won't have to bother with the Will Call window.

the Buffalo game was on a Wednesday, not a Saturday, which makes a difference.

You are correct. My mistake.

My point still stands, though. When the students are out of town OU attendance is nowhere near capacity. I'm sure more than 4,000 will be on hand when Akron comes to town. That's because the students are in town and want to see their team play Akron(well, and free Big Macs :D ).

Edit: I just checked and Ohio State does not play the same night as the Akron/OU game. OU should have very solid student attendance.

I don't recall too many OU students caring about Ohio State basketball during my time in Athens.

Really? I know some people that went to OU. They are die hard buckeye fans and root for their alma mater when they win(a la sweet 16). I'm not suggesting that this problem is unique to OU, however.

The McDonald's thing was a one-time promotion, though they've given away food from various artery cloggers in different games this season.

I'm just giving you guys a hard time.

BTW....over 5,000 tonight! And the student sections looked full. Perhaps Marla should whip up a sequel article for the Sunday ABJ?? :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Marla's article just seemed ill-timed.

She could have written that article at almost any time over the past 8 years. But not now.

We've had great crowds since the Buffalo/LBJ-bobblehead game.

Also, I get the feeling that Steve French & Joe Dunn were rather offended at the article. But I didn't take Marla that way. I read her vibe as a "Come on now people, get out to the game!" vibe.

Am I wrong?

I'm with you, B&G. If she wrote that article when Zips basketball attendance was down, she'd be labeled a Debbie Downer even if it was all true. By doing it in the middle of the big winning streak when attendance is on the upswing, she just feeds into all the new-found love for Zips basketball. Critical mass is reached when something is so hot that everyone wants to be a part of it, but there aren't enough seats available to accommodate everyone. I never in my life expected to see a crowd like I saw tonight for a losing MAC East team like BGSU. Let the good times keep rolling.

You are correct. My mistake.

My point still stands, though. When the students are out of town OU attendance is nowhere near capacity. I'm sure more than 4,000 will be on hand when Akron comes to town. That's because the students are in town and want to see their team play Akron(well, and free Big Macs :D ).

Edit: I just checked and Ohio State does not play the same night as the Akron/OU game. OU should have very solid student attendance.

more than 4000? Ohio will easily have double that for Akron. On a Wednesday.

Ohio State basketball has 0 influence on the attendance in Athens. A couple students care about OSU football, although that problem has pretty much disappeared with our success lately. OSU basketball? lol. OSU could play Michigan in hoops at the same time and the O Zone would still put anything the Rowdies call a good crowd to shame.

This is life at the conferences flagship basketball program.

Ohio State basketball has 0 influence on the attendance in Athens. A couple students care about OSU football, although that problem has pretty much disappeared with our success lately. OSU basketball? lol. OSU could play Michigan in hoops at the same time and the O Zone would still put anything the Rowdies call a good crowd to shame.

a.aaa.jpg

Fixed it for ya..

LOL!!!

OU fans also think they are the flagship football program. Funny, how the so-called flagship has exactly 0 regular season MAC titles between the sports in the last 19 years. lol.

OU fans have the worst inferiority complex. At first I thought there were just one or two trolls on here, but they're all like that. Half of their own message board is spent rationalizing how they're better than us. Man. I'd be embarrassed to be an OU fan. Maybe we can just make a thread for them on OUr board where they can brag about their flagship program. Only a few more seasons until you have 8 straight 20 win seasons and 7 straight MAC tournament finals appearances, kitties.

8(?) straight 20 win seasons, 6 straight MAC championship appearances, and this guy is claiming OU is the flagship program in the MAC? LOL

The Zips have Ohio beat in regular season success... That is it.

Postseason success? Ohio by a mile

Arena? Ohio by a mile

Fanbase? Ohio by a mile

No trolling, just speaking honestly around how people nationally think about MAC basketball.

last chance? Ohio by a mile

This season is Ohio's swan song. Like Cant graduating or in their case running out of eligibility, Ohio loses four seniors

and has a thin bench. While they have a couple of nice incoming recruits, Ohio is not likely to be one of the MAC's top

dogs next season. Ahem, the Zips will simply continue to dominate due to their depth and excellent incoming class.

Akron has by now clearly shown that they no longer recruit the same players as the rest of the MAC.

Hey, I thought this thread was about attendance. The JAR looked pretty full the past several games. Even drawing over

5200 on a midweek night against a conference foe sporting a losing record and had been stuffed by Akron two weeks ago.

Akron fans are NOT impressed by a college town that has nothing to do other than slobber knocking drinking. Arenas tend

to draw crowds proportional to their capacity. When Akron gets their new arena the attendance will increase accordingly.

For those old enough to remember, back in the 1980's there was a lot of carping about building the then large capacity

JAR because they will never fill it. Three thousand was seen as a huge crowd. Today, fans whine if the attendance is less

than 4,000. Its like a troll's waist line. It is forever expanding.

Nicole for Mom of the Year ... !!!!

The Zips have Ohio beat in regular season success... That is it.

Postseason success? Ohio by a mile

Arena? Ohio by a mile

Fanbase? Ohio by a mile

No trolling, just speaking honestly around how people nationally think about MAC basketball.

"An inferiority complex, often used to mean low self-esteem, is a feeling of intense insecurity, inferiority or of not measuring up. An inferiority complex can be seen in the negative or "useless" reactions to problems in life. These reactions are useless because they do not solve the problem at hand, but only serve to guard one's self-esteem by avoiding the task or by placing the blame for the failure outside of the individual's control. Although the inferiority complex may be seen as comparing individuals or groups as one being superior to another, it more closely describes how one deals with a fear of failure."

Wiki.