Any ABJ coverage of spring football?

Spring football really hasnt been that exciting. They are practies wouldnt you get sick about reading about a practice all the time. I know i would. They will cover the spring game so all of you need to calm down. Oh and if spring practice was such a big deal you would think the Buchtelite would have written a story about the first two weeks of practice and winter conditioning. But they didnt either. So if the school news paper doesnt do a story on it why would the ABJ?

Oh and if spring practice was such a big deal you would think the Buchtelite would have written a story about the first two weeks of practice and winter conditioning. But they didnt either. So if the school news paper doesnt do a story on it why would the ABJ?
Are you serious? Since when does the school newspaper's coverage have ANYTHING to do with the Beacon's?Off the top of my head I can come up with 10 questions to ask regarding Zips Spring football, the answers of which 98% of the people on this board would find highly interesting. There are a lot of stories out there is if anyone was smart enough to realize it.The Zips are the reigning MAC champs. They brought 15,000 fans to Detroit. They've had the #1 ranked recruiting class in the MAC for two consecutive seasons. They're 3 blocks away from campus. Yet the Beacon focuses on OSU. I could care less if Brady Quinn's sister has half her panties with the ND logo and the other half with OSU's. I care about AKRON football. The Beacon and I don't care about the same things.

I think that we are stretching this issue a bit too far !I would obviously love to see more zips coverage in the ABJ but i don't agree with all the trashing it is getting on this board. After all, the ABJ is a business trying to please their customers (readers and advertizers), and i am sure that they do some market surveying and research that is showing them that the readers have more interest in reading about the buckeyes than the zips.So, our problem is not with the ABJ, our problem is with their readers (the people of akron). I know that we had 10k going to the MCB but i also know that we had no more than 15k attending our regular season games in the Rubber bowl while at least 50k (in the greater Akron area) stayed home and watched OSU on TV. Similarly, it is easy to see that OSU gear sells better the Akron gear in the Akron Area.

I think that we are stretching this issue a bit too far !I would obviously love to see more zips coverage in the ABJ but i don't agree with all the trashing it is getting on this board. After all, the ABJ is a business trying to please their customers (readers and advertizers), and i am sure that they do some market surveying and research that is showing them that the readers have more interest in reading about the buckeyes than the zips.So, our problem is not with the ABJ, our problem is with their readers (the people of akron). I know that we had 10k going to the MCB but i also know that we had no more than 15k attending our regular season games in the Rubber bowl while at least 50k (in the greater Akron area) stayed home and watched OSU on TV. Similarly, it is easy to see that OSU gear sells better the Akron gear in the Akron Area.
Oh, I get it now. The Beacon can ignore The University of Akron Zips because they sell more papers covering Brady Quinn's sister's dates with AJ Hawk than who the starting Zips RB for 2006 is shaping up to be? It is funny that they can't do BOTH. The have to cover OSU's spring practices...but can't offer any insight regarding Akron's. Hey...as long as their making money hand-over-fist covering OSU, more power to them. I thought I heard something about the Beacon going broke a short while ago? I must have been mistaken... :lol:

I think it is HORRIBLE that the BJ has had no coverage of spring practice so far...there should be an article every day about how the MAC's #1 recruiting class is starting to pan out, how good Luke can become, the development of WR, who will take over at RB, the inner workings of JD, the 5 year plan, the stadium, etc. I thought some progress had been made in getting appropriate levels of coverage, but the evidence is maybe not so much.Akron's institutions, like much of NEO, has "small town-itis"-- the nagging sense that anything that happens locally can't be as meaningful or significant as what is happening some place else. It makes me sick that the PD, let alone the ABJ, covers UA so sparingly. (Another great, non-sports example-- Steven Litt, the PD's architecture writer, has done nothing on UA's new campus-- not a line, not whisper, and yet he had an entire article about UC's 20 year effort to re-invent its campus...)The impact that UA (and Can't State for that matter) have on the economic and social fabrics of NEO cannot be underestimated. That UA is not given preeminant coverage in these papers is, IMHO, disgraceful. UA admin should be cracking heads behind the scenes on this...

COME ON ALREADY ZIPSNATION!The complaints about the Beacon are really getting old. It's a typical case of inferiority complex. I hate it as much as you do, and I'm no Buckeye fan either, but lets put our money where our mouths are and make a statement to the Beacon and the rest of the country. Let them cover the Buckeyes. Let them miss out on the great things that are happening right down the street. Proenza and co. will deliver us to the promised land no matter what folks at the Beacon decide to do. Let's win more championships. Let's do some damage in the postseason. Let's get that stadium and become the envy of the MAC. Hold your heads high and show the nation that we are The University of Akron and we mean business. Do that, and those suckers from the Beacon will kiss our feet.Fear the Roo! :screwks:

COME ON ALREADY ZIPSNATION!The complaints about the Beacon are really getting old. It's a typical case of inferiority complex. I hate it as much as you do, and I'm no Buckeye fan either, but lets put our money where our mouths are and make a statement to the Beacon and the rest of the country. Let them cover the Buckeyes. Let them miss out on the great things that are happening right down the street. Proenza and co. will deliver us to the promised land no matter what folks at the Beacon decide to do.Let's win more championships. Let's do some damage in the postseason. Let's get that stadium and become the envy of the MAC. Hold your heads high and show the nation that we are The University of Akron and we mean business. Do that, and those suckers from the Beacon will kiss our feet.Fear the Roo! 
Now i absolutely agree with that ! we won't sit and beg the beacon for respect and coverage, we will go on the field and earn the respect and force them to cover us !

lets put our money where our mouths are and make a statement to the Beacon
I did. I cancelled my subscription. That's the best I can do.I'm tired of bitching about the Beacon too. I realize it won't change. I have a Beacon sports section from 6 years ago. It was from Feb 2000's national signing day. HUGE story on some Charlie Frye kid. Huge story on Aaron Feller (OL). Big write up on the entire recruiting class, complete with nice photos. Also, the Zips played hoops that evening. Big picture of Marco Morgan ©. Very nice game write up. And, that was when the Zips weren't winning ANYTHING in hoops or football.Compare that to last month's atrocious signing day coverage. I'll never understand it...

Has there been ANY coverage of Zips spring football so far?  I am in Maui right now (sidebar...you may be wondering why I am online instead of at the beach...I've got napping-age children and it is my turn to watch them) and the local rag has had articles everyday about UHawaii football.
Yes indeed LAZF. I feel your pain. It sure is a pain to live in a town (island chain?) where the two daily newspapers obnoxiously run (usually front-page) stories on the hometown college football team virtually every day of the year. And where every home and away football game and all home bb games are televised across the state. Aren't you Akronites lucky you don't live in a place like THAT. :lol::P