52 replies to this topic

#1 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

With Zips fan enthusiasm level amping up and more and more posts being made about various bracketology seedings popping up in various threads, I thought it might be a good idea to capture them all in their own thread. It's still way speculative, but fun to follow.

Jerry Palm has just upgraded the Zips from a #13 seed to a #12, facing #5 seed Marquette in San Jose.

Andy Glockner has also moved the Zips up to a #12, facing #5 Georgetown in Kansas City.

Joe Lunardi still has the Zips at a #13 playing #4 Kansas State in Kansas City, with a chance to meet tOSU in the second round.

Feel free to add others and update these as they change.

EDIT: I'm adding at the bottom of this post a link to a bracketology matrix that originalrowdy posted later in the thread. Having it in the first post will make it easier for everyone to find should they want to check it.

The 2013 Bracket Matrix Link

#2 GP1

GP1

Pontificator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

A long way to go, but this is fun. Looking at Dave's post, only G'town worries me. I like the Zips against [Edit] Kansas State and Marquette. If the Zips run the MAC and Tournament, they should be a 12 seed at worst.
"...you want it to be one way. But it's the other way." --Marlo Stanfield, The Wire

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

#3 originalrowdy

originalrowdy

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

http://bracketprojec....com/matrix.htm

That is a matrix, with links to each ranker in blue at the top, of every major poll known to mankind. Teamrankings even has the Zips at a #10 seed. Most are in the #12-13 though.

Just thought this was a nice little go-to source for this thread.
Regardless of the outcome, I'll always remember this quote from KD - "...after the game if you lose by 29 or by five, it's still just one loss. [You] have to learn from it." We as fans must remember this, too, when it comes to showing up at games and supporting our Zips...

#4 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

@originalrowdy, that is a fantastic site for viewing all the bracketology results. That means there's no need to post an update with a link every single time any bracketology is updated. All we need to do is check into that one site every day to see what movement there's been. We can just focus on a few important updates at individual sites as we see them. I'm going to add this link to my original post to make it easier for everyone to find that site. Thanks!

#5 Z.I.P.

Z.I.P.

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

A long way to go, but this is fun.

Looking at Dave's post, only G'town worries me. I like the Zips against Can't State and Marquette.

If the Zips run the MAC and Tournament, they should be a 12 seed at worst.

Now either GP got his "K"s confused, or this system has now morphed into changing ANY K-school to "Can't State". :lol:

#6 originalrowdy

originalrowdy

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

@originalrowdy, that is a fantastic site for viewing all the bracketology results. That means there's no need to post an update with a link every single time any bracketology is updated. All we need to do is check into that one site every day to see what movement there's been. We can just focus on a few important updates at individual sites as we see them. I'm going to add this link to my original post to make it easier for everyone to find that site. Thanks!

Not a problem brotha. Heck, you've done a lot for ZN and, the way I figure it, if I can get you the stats easier, you can make heads or tails of stuff better than a lot of us. Glad to help!
Regardless of the outcome, I'll always remember this quote from KD - "...after the game if you lose by 29 or by five, it's still just one loss. [You] have to learn from it." We as fans must remember this, too, when it comes to showing up at games and supporting our Zips...

#7 meatwad

meatwad

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

In Lunardi's latest at ESPN the Zips have been identified as a potential "bid stealer" should we not win the MAC Championship. I would post the blurb, but it's insider only and I don't want the moderators frowning on posting paid content on the board. If one gives their blessing I'll post the part relevant to the Zips. Our at large chances are swelling... Also, we're up to a 12 seed on the latest bracket on ESPN.

#8 LZip

LZip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

In Lunardi's latest at ESPN the Zips have been identified as a potential "bid stealer" should we not win the MAC Championship. I would post the blurb, but it's insider only and I don't want the moderators frowning on posting paid content on the board. If one gives their blessing I'll post the part relevant to the Zips.

Our at large chances are swelling...

Also, we're up to a 12 seed on the latest bracket on ESPN.

If Lundardi is mentioning us a possible bid-stealer, I really like the chances. Just a week or so ago he was saying "no way" to that.

#9 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Zips are getting massive love from the Team Rankings computers after last night's win. They currently project the Zips' chances of making the NCAA tournament at 95.4% -- 49.2% chance automatic bid, 46.2% chance at large bid. The Zips' most likely seed, according to their computers, is a stunning #8. This is the most optimistic projection anywhere, and is probably unrealistic. But Zips fans understand that it's more fun to be over-ranked than ignored. :)

#10 Zipmeister

Zipmeister

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Zips are getting massive love from the Team Rankings computers after last night's win. They currently project the Zips' chances of making the NCAA tournament at 95.4% -- 49.2% chance automatic bid, 46.2% chance at large bid. The Zips' most likely seed, according to their computers, is a stunning #8. This is the most optimistic projection anywhere, and is probably unrealistic. But Zips fans understand that it's more fun to be over-ranked than ignored. :)

IF the Zips can win out, I think a 10 seed is highly probable. If not, I'm thinking a #13 at-large seed.

#11 Akronnnnnnnn

Akronnnnnnnn

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

How about the fact that the Zips are 2nd in the biggest gainers since yesterday... up 9.2% to 95.4%. First? Former Akron foe Creighton who jumps up 9.9% to 83.1%. If I'd have told you in early December that late in Febraury, the Zips would statistically have a better chance of making the dance than Creighton, would you have believed me? I'm thinking no.

On the contrary, OU's NCAA chances fell 6.0% to 41.1%. Today is good.

*edit* also, on the same page it lists those who have trended up in the last week. The Zips are 4th in highest jump, up 17.5% since last Thursday!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Dave in Green

Dave in Green

Collaborator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

@Zipmeister, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the Zips being able to get an at-large bid, as others have also enthusiastically expressed after last night's win. But I've spent a lot of time reading a lot of different bubble watches by a lot of savvy sports journalists. While they are also enthusiastic about the Zips' winning streak and the way the team passes the "eye test," they all caution that you can never rely on the selection committee. There is a developing traffic jam of potential at-large teams, with some previously safe teams falling and other previously out-of-it teams rising. It appears as if many deserving teams will get left out when the last few, highly contested at-large bids are handed out. The Zips are not a lock, even if they win out but lose the MAC tournament championship game. They're just one of many good teams in the mix. We shouldn't let our enthusiasm create unrealistic expectations for something that's totally out of the team's control.

#13 akronzips71

akronzips71

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

@Zipmeister, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the Zips being able to get an at-large bid, as others have also enthusiastically expressed after last night's win. But I've spent a lot of time reading a lot of different bubble watches by a lot of savvy sports journalists. While they are also enthusiastic about the Zips' winning streak and the way the team passes the "eye test," they all caution that you can never rely on the selection committee. There is a developing traffic jam of potential at-large teams, with some previously safe teams falling and other previously out-of-it teams rising. It appears as if many deserving teams will get left out when the last few, highly contested at-large bids are handed out. The Zips are not a lock, even if they win out but lose the MAC tournament championship game. They're just one of many good teams in the mix. We shouldn't let our enthusiasm create unrealistic expectations for something that's totally out of the team's control.

If we win out we should be ranked in the teens in both polls.
I know we found a #25 that was left out of the dance.
I doubt you will find a #17 that was left out.

#14 originalrowdy

originalrowdy

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

If we win out we should be ranked in the teens in both polls.
I know we found a #25 that was left out of the dance.
I doubt you will find a #17 that was left out.

I've always been interested in seeing a list of all the teams who, going into selection sunday, were ranked in the T25 and snubbed from the dance. I remember they made a big deal about the 2003-04 Utah State team because they were the first that had happened to. I've never been able to find a complete list though. DiG???

#15 LZip

LZip

Zips Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I've always been interested in seeing a list of all the teams who, going into selection sunday, were ranked in the T25 and snubbed from the dance. I remember they made a big deal about the 2003-04 Utah State team because they were the first that had happened to. I've never been able to find a complete list though. DiG???

Utah St is the only team in recent history that was ranked and was left out. I thought UNLV was once as well ranked #25, but cannot find anything on it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users