A New Arena

JeffQ78

Suites don't sell game by game or sport by sport. They sell for the year and tickets must be bought for each game. The suites will sell, whether people show up to the women's games are a different story, but you can't just buy a suite for a game. You'd have to think we could sell 15-20 suites in a new arena to companies with this team, if we could do it for football.

Making the building suitable for more sports would multiply the number of suites you can sell.

Nobody will ever convince me a basketball arena that can house hockey is a bad idea, or that it would in any way effect the college basketball experience in any way. I have seen the college hockey experience in a recreational rink with horrible spectator seating for three years. It would work.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We can't build an arena without suites.

I suspect the idea of suites are already in the picture by UA planners as well as naming rights (goes w/o saying) and no bleachers of any kind whatsoever.

The JAR looked pretty full this evening. Many students appeared to be there and many more Joe Akrons as well. It was great to see so many people from all over Akron and more support our ZIPS especially given the circumstances of Thursday's shocker.

I remain optimistic about the future of Akron Athletics both physically and performance wise.

Yes, we do need a new "jar". But I believe that we need a new conference in which the Zips BB team can play in.

Not a mid major conference, with well know teams would provide better competition and would also bring in more spectators. Not sure how many really want to see us play central michigan or N Ill. Do disrespect to those teams.

IF we want to move forward we need to change a few things and a different conference would be a great beginning.

Just a thought

@ ROCK1, i really like Chicago State's arena. Thanks for posting that. I love the steeper grade of the lower bowl. That place looks like it would be deafening with a large crowd in there! We could add 1000-2000 seats, some additional suites, perhaps a club level and upgrade the scoreboard and it'd be ideal.

Yes, we do need a new "jar". But I believe that we need a new conference in which the Zips BB team can play in.

Not a mid major conference, with well know teams would provide better competition and would also bring in more spectators. Not sure how many really want to see us play central michigan or N Ill. Do disrespect to those teams.

IF we want to move forward we need to change a few things and a different conference would be a great beginning.

Just a thought

That makes sense in theory, but first, how are you going to get invited to a bigger conference with a football team in shambles, a basketball team with no "big wins", and a market infatuated with OSU.

And second, record numbers of fans pour into Canal Park to watch the local ball team play Binghamton, New Brittain, and Altoona. Not exactly New York, Chicago, and Boston...

Chicago State. Seats 7,000. One large suite.

small_Jones_Center_Interior.JPG

I like that from Chicago State. I would take this style, but on a smaller scale

Excuse me .. what do you mean by "but on a smaller scale"?

Chicago State's arena seats 7,000. The Jar can uncomfortably seat 6,000. Akron needs about an 8,000 seat arena.

The JAR lacks amenities that make an arena a nice place to watch games. Insufficient restrooms, lack of vending and

close by parking and the foyer is totally obsolete and that is just scratching the surface.

Tommy Evans has been out grown to the point that starting next season it will take a $2,000 or more in donations to

gain pre-game and halftime access. I stopped going when the juice went from $500 to $1,000.

The main lobby is woefully undersized. Handicapped drive up access is pathetic. Handicap access to the tier is one

small elevator. I am told by my handicapped female companion that the women's restrooms are not well

equipped for a wheelchair confined person. She only attends really important games because of this.

The JAR can not be "upgraded" for a reasonable cost. The four pillars in the corners hold up the roof. They can not

be moved. Thus, the corners are nearly useless. This entire new "study" was merely a delaying tactic.

Fact, not baloney: the University needs to make a serious commitment to upgrading its conference affiliation. Just

heard during a basketball game that Belmont is already applying for admission to the Missouri Valley Conference.

The Board of Trustees, the Athletic Director and the President should be vocal in stating their goals and intentions.

Pussy footing around has already cost the University several opportunities. Grow some nads mice, er, men.

I WANT AKRON OUT OF THE MAC

Excuse me .. what do you mean by "but on a smaller scale"?

Sorry about that, should have been specific. I meant a smaller scale of the Arco Arena in the link. :wave:

Anyone else shocked with all these small schools having big time looking arenas???

Should build a multipurpose arena to capitalize on letting it be rented out for events as there is no other arena in the immediate area.

Richmond Coliseum

Capacity

13,553 (concerts)

11,992 (basketball)

11,088 (hockey)

richmond-coliseum-seating.jpg

2441024389_1dfa77c3f7_z.jpg

Yes, I am still working on it. Last week I got slammed with things to do, but I have the main shape of the arena done and I'll probably post that later today if not tomorrow. Also, placing 7,000-8,000 seats takes a considerable amount of time, more than I was expectin

Yes, I am still working on it. Last week I got slammed with things to do, but I have the main shape of the arena done and I'll probably post that later today if not tomorrow. Also, placing 7,000-8,000 seats takes a considerable amount of time, more than I was expectin

Awesome, just wondering

Alright here is the initial design of the bowl. Right now, it is sized to seat slightly less that 6k in the lower bowl and I have not done the math for the upper bowl. If I had to guess it is approximately 1-2k, but that can be adjusted when the seats are actually placed in there. There are 5 open loges with 4 rows of seats a piece and 4 closed loges for those that would want more privacy. The media bench is move up to that same level in in the middle of the closed loges. There is plenty of room for more loges around the ends of the bowl. My intention is for the corners to be left open for handicapped accessible seating as well as to have the same "behind the scenes" cavernous effect as the football stadium on the 50 yrd line home side.

I am on the side of the discussion so far that we need to have 2 tiers in the arena for that big time feel. I have a plan to handle the "empty feeling" that some people here are concerned with when we have smaller crowds for women's basketball and such. But that is a discussion for a later time once the main problems are fixed.

I'm sure you will let me know what you think of it. I want this to be a collaborative project so keep the jeers to a minimum and have your comments be constructive.

P.s. sorry I couldn't figure out how to get these into a picture format so I had to attach the PDF files. They do not contain malicious software in any way shape or form.

View__1.pdf

View__2.pdf

If The U of A can ever get the money it should be between 6,000 and 7,000 seats. That is the max that this area could support. Make it the best 6,000 seat gym around.

Picture of South Dakota’s new arena: http://pressdakotan.files.wordpress.com/20...na_interior.jpg

We need to make it attractive to the students who in return become alumni season ticket holders. Unfortunately football has missed their opportunity (InfoCision Stadium) to capture the first wave of new alumni fans due to the poor play. That should change soon enough.

Nice work ZAKR. I use inventor all day every day, so mad props for you wanting to use it outside of work :lol:

Is that all one part file? Also is it scaled down or 1:1???

You can export the file directly to a jpg via the "export----> Image" under the file menu of Inventor.

Cheers, and nice work :wave:

Well, I'm just tarting co-op so I don't completely hate it.... yet ;)

Everything is 1:1

Each bowl is in 4 sections and each different kind of box is its own part/assembly. If I didn't do that, I would probably go through sooo many keyboards from slamming my head on them trying to make it work. :D

And thanks for the tip!

Well, I'm just tarting co-op so I don't completely hate it.... yet ;)

Everything is 1:1

Each bowl is in 4 sections and each different kind of box is its own part/assembly. If I didn't do that, I would probably go through sooo many keyboards from slamming my head on them trying to make it work. :D

And thanks for the tip!

no problem! I started somewhere, too, and am by no means an expert with it.

I would have been worried if you were making it as one single part lol

Love the design!

Definitely a fan of a sort of "split" design wherein theres an upper section. Provides the additional seating we need for those big games, but is still intimate and close to the action.

My only wonder with it is the lower bowl - how far down vertically is that design from an estimated "ground" level? Im sure there are concerns here in regards to cost for excavating that the university would look to avoid, in addition to whatever geography issues may arise from where our campus is. just food for thought

Love the design!

Definitely a fan of a sort of "split" design wherein theres an upper section. Provides the additional seating we need for those big games, but is still intimate and close to the action.

My only wonder with it is the lower bowl - how far down vertically is that design from an estimated "ground" level? Im sure there are concerns here in regards to cost for excavating that the university would look to avoid, in addition to whatever geography issues may arise from where our campus is. just food for thought

Depends on the site. If it's near the Info on the ballfield site, there should be plenty of depth available, reference the Info's depth.