A New Arena

JeffQ78

This tread brings back memories of when the University announced that a new arena was going to be built on campus. Us old farts went to games at Memorial Hall and parked our cars where the JAR sits today, next to the old fire station.

The original design was impressive: Ten or 12,000 (can't remember which) theater-type seats, racket and hand ball courts.

The General Assembly pulls funding, and we have what we have today, a glorified high school gym. I've never liked the JAR.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This tread brings back memories of when the University announced that a new arena was going to be built on campus. Us old farts went to games at Memorial Hall and parked our cars where the JAR sits today, next to the old fire station.

The original design was impressive: Ten or 12,000 (can't remember which) theater-type seats, racket and hand ball courts.

The General Assembly pulls funding, and we have what we have today, a glorified high school gym. I've never liked the JAR.

:cheers:

I agree 100%. I actually saw a model of what the new facility was to be. It was to look very similar to ND's convocation center. Not only did the GA pull funds from us, they gave the money to CSU to build their convocation center. This is the reason I don;t go to too many events at CSU.

If The U of A can ever get the money it should be between 6,000 and 7,000 seats. That is the max that this area could support. Make it the best 6,000 seat gym around.

Picture of South Dakota’s new arena: http://pressdakotan.files.wordpress.com/20...na_interior.jpg

We need to make it attractive to the students who in return become alumni season ticket holders. Unfortunately football has missed their opportunity (InfoCision Stadium) to capture the first wave of new alumni fans due to the poor play. That should change soon enough.

If we are going to build a new arena, then I would think it would be worth it to increase its capacity by more than just 500 seats (the JAR seats 5,500). Also, no bleacher at all please. It should contain 100% seats and wider than we currently have at the JAR. I also like the look of a two tier arena with no corners. Seating should encompass the entire circumference of the arena with a 360 degree ribbon board.

If we are going to build a new arena, then I would think it would be worth it to increase its capacity my more than just 500 seats (the JAR seats 5,500). Also, no bleacher at all please. It should contain 100% seats and wider than we currently have at the JAR. I also like the look of a two tier arena with no corners. Seating should encompass the entire circumference of the arena with a 360 degree ribbon board.

Amen. And welcome aboard! :wave:

If we are going to build a new arena, then I would think it would be worth it to increase its capacity my more than just 500 seats (the JAR seats 5,500). Also, no bleacher at all please. It should contain 100% seats and wider than we currently have at the JAR. I also like the look of a two tier arena with no corners. Seating should encompass the entire circumference of the arena with a 360 degree ribbon board.

I agree with most of what you suggested. I do think it might be a good idea to use bleachers for the student section(s). The way I see it, maybe this will force more of them to remain standing for the game? allow for a more "packed" section and even save us some money only having to fill 3/4 of the arena with chair-backs. A larger two-tiered arena is key. Even if the capacity is below 10,000 having multiple tiers allows for louder crowds and more big-time feel.

Just ran into New Seattle arena renderings. Obviously way too expensive, but thought the layout was very cool. Having the suites/club seats to close to the court is genius. Reminds me a bit of Pitt's arena. So many arenas being built today look exactly alike. It's refreshing to see some innovation.

I agree with most of what you suggested. I do think it might be a good idea to use bleachers for the student section(s). The way I see it, maybe this will force more of them to remain standing for the game? allow for a more "packed" section and even save us some money only having to fill 3/4 of the arena with chair-backs. A larger two-tiered arena is key. Even if the capacity is below 10,000 having multiple tiers allows for louder crowds and more big-time feel.

Just ran into New Seattle arena renderings. Obviously way too expensive, but thought the layout was very cool. Having the suites/club seats to close to the court is genius. Reminds me a bit of Pitt's arena. So many arenas being built today look exactly alike. It's refreshing to see some innovation.

My reservations about bleachers are #1. they are uncomfortable, ugly and make an arena look more like a gym. Bleachers are not my idea of so-called "state-of-the-art" #2. and bigger than this is that designating bleachers for the students is somewhat of an insult to the UA student body. It treats them like second class citizens while the rest of the crowd are treated with respect. Forcing students to stand at a game, concert or any other event in any venue sends a very negative message to the community and university.

I realize that "the good" seats help to bring in revenue, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the university is here for the students first, especially when one considers that they are already being forced to pay to build and operate an arena through fees and tuition (the general fund is made up of tuition $$ and is used for operating costs for UA facilities). Students do not get their tickets for free. They pay in advance and pay well. They need to feel welcomed into their own house and not manipulated to stand by administrators.

I have season seats down in the bowl and my seats do not discourage me from standing nor do others on the east and west side allow their seats to discourage them from standing. The general Akron and surrounding communities need to see that The University of Akron treats its students and athletes as number one. Doing so sets a whole new and improved tone for UA's image and marketing potential.

BTW, thanks for the link. I like the intimidation factor behind both baskets. Wish we could mimic it on some level

Alright here is the initial design of the bowl. Right now, it is sized to seat slightly less that 6k in the lower bowl and I have not done the math for the upper bowl. If I had to guess it is approximately 1-2k, but that can be adjusted when the seats are actually placed in there. There are 5 open loges with 4 rows of seats a piece and 4 closed loges for those that would want more privacy. The media bench is move up to that same level in in the middle of the closed loges. There is plenty of room for more loges around the ends of the bowl. My intention is for the corners to be left open for handicapped accessible seating as well as to have the same "behind the scenes" cavernous effect as the football stadium on the 50 yrd line home side.

I am on the side of the discussion so far that we need to have 2 tiers in the arena for that big time feel. I have a plan to handle the "empty feeling" that some people here are concerned with when we have smaller crowds for women's basketball and such. But that is a discussion for a later time once the main problems are fixed.

I'm sure you will let me know what you think of it. I want this to be a collaborative project so keep the jeers to a minimum and have your comments be constructive.

P.s. sorry I couldn't figure out how to get these into a picture format so I had to attach the PDF files. They do not contain malicious software in any way shape or form.

Out of curiosity, is the floor sized for hockey also (not that it necessarily should)? Or is that just the normal extra for the cheerleaders/dance team etc.?

I believe UA will excavate as need be. I recall Ted Curtis's (UA VP of planning and capital improvement) statement..."If you are going to do it, you have to do it right the first time." I don't see UA skimping on a new arena. They learned a painful lesson by skimping on the JAR. That sting is still fresh on their minds if not their buttocks. That is why they took great efforts and planning on building the dialer correctly and state-of-the-art. Mediocrity is no longer an option for UA. And thank God for that, finally!

That said, I believe they will do the right thing and build on campus and not downtown.

If The U of A can ever get the money it should be between 6,000 and 7,000 seats. That is the max that this area could support. Make it the best 6,000 seat gym around.

Picture of South Dakota’s new arena: http://pressdakotan.files.wordpress.com/20...na_interior.jpg

We need to make it attractive to the students who in return become alumni season ticket holders. Unfortunately football has missed their opportunity (InfoCision Stadium) to capture the first wave of new alumni fans due to the poor play. That should change soon enough.

I really like this design, but I do think that there can be support for closer to 8000 with continued success of the team. I also think the lower concessions in the picture could be replaced with suites and the concessions relocated to the side of or behind the suites.

I believe UA will excavate as need be. I recall Ted Curtis's (UA VP of planning and capital improvement) statement..."If you are going to do it, you have to do it right the first time." I don't see UA skimping on a new arena. They learned a painful lesson by skimping on the JAR. That sting is still fresh on their minds if not their buttocks. That is why they took great efforts and planning on building the dialer correctly and state-of-the-art. Mediocrity is no longer an option for UA. And thank God for that, finally!

That said, I believe they will do the right thing and build on campus and not downtown.

If you excavate 20 ft. down, that's 20 feet of wall you don't need to build above ground (most of the lower bowl)...I would think the excavation is a bit cheaper than building structure - beams/steel/brick/etc.(?)

If you excavate 20 ft. down, that's 20 feet of wall you don't need to build above ground (most of the lower bowl)...I would think the excavation is a bit cheaper than building structure - beams/steel/brick/etc.(?)

The entire campus is underlain by a layer of sandstone conglomerate. They had trouble excavating the Info because they were only expecting to dig through soft clay.

Hmmm, I missed that episode. I guess it comes down to the cost of dynamite and jackhammers :)

I was told that the entire campus was underlain with bubble gum and cotton candy LOL. I don't recall hearing any dynamite detonations when the Info was built. :D

Out of curiosity, is the floor sized for hockey also (not that it necessarily should)? Or is that just the normal extra for the cheerleaders/dance team etc.?

The floor is not sized for a hockey rink the extra room is just the normal extra you talked about.

I see a new arena that will be complimented by a renovated JAR for a practice facility and more.

I see a new arena that will be complimented by a parking deck. Only on planet Athletic Director would a basketball team need a practice facility.

I see a new arena that will be complimented by a parking deck. Only on planet Athletic Director would a basketball team need a practice facility.

Why would a basketball team not need a practice facility? I've heard Ted Curtis and Keith Dambrot advocate for a practice facility for basketball. Other schools have them... why not Akron?

Also, your idea of a new arena being complimented by a parking deck is a good idea as well.

Why would a basketball team not need a practice facility? I've heard Ted Curtis and Keith Dambrot advocate for a practice facility for basketball. Other schools have them... why not Akron?

Good question. It's about paradigms. Ted Curtis advocates for building a practice facility because his job is building things. If buildings are going up, he doesn't have a job. Dambrot wants a practice facility because he works in college athletics and the answer to everything in college athletics is to build more facilities.

A very wise man once told me..."No matter how cold it is outside...no matter how hot it is outside, it's always 72 degrees on a bar stool." Wise words. The same apples for basketball arenas. It's always the same temperature and to have a separate facility to practice when there is a perfectly good basketball floor sitting idle is a complete waste of money. In fact, it's vulgar at this point.

Ohio State has a practice floor because their arena is used for hockey, concerts, etc. Akron has club hockey and they really don't have a lot of concerts, if any. Akron isn't a convention city. Building an arena with anything other than a permanent floor (unlike a removable floor like Gund Arena has) would be foolish.

The reason the football team has a practice arena is it can rain or snow in NE Ohio so they need a dry place to practice. They needed a place to go sit on the bar stool.

Good question. It's about paradigms. Ted Curtis advocates for building a practice facility because his job is building things. If buildings are going up, he doesn't have a job. Dambrot wants a practice facility because he works in college athletics and the answer to everything in college athletics is to build more facilities.

A very wise man once told me..."No matter how cold it is outside...no matter how hot it is outside, it's always 72 degrees on a bar stool." Wise words. The same apples for basketball arenas. It's always the same temperature and to have a separate facility to practice when there is a perfectly good basketball floor sitting idle is a complete waste of money. In fact, it's vulgar at this point.

Ohio State has a practice floor because their arena is used for hockey, concerts, etc. Akron has club hockey and they really don't have a lot of concerts, if any. Akron isn't a convention city. Building an arena with anything other than a permanent floor (unlike a removable floor like Gund Arena has) would be foolish.

The reason the football team has a practice arena is it can rain or snow in NE Ohio so they need a dry place to practice. They needed a place to go sit on the bar stool.

Well, I think Mr Curtis has more integrity than you give him credit for as does Keith Dambrot. Curtis did not advocate for building a practice facility. He suggested using the JAR as one. What do you propose we do with the JAR then once we get a new arena? I guess my point was that more than the AD want a practice court. I realize that you seem to see TW as having a "pie-in-the-sky" or self-serving agenda and now that has been extended to Ted Curtis and Keith Dambrot. I was looking at the future with more than basketball being presented in a new arena. The campus has big plans for the future that include an academic main street for the campus, 40,000 students (which includes on-line students) and the potential for a consolidated athletic district near the Info which would include a multi-purpose arena No one has ruled out concerts and other gatherings taking place in a new arena or the Info for that matter. UA has concerts at its performing arts hall all the time and had some at the JAR and many at Memorial Hall. So I really don't see the campus as "not having lots of concerts" In a new arena, concerts can be presented on a larger scale than a 2,955 seat performing arts hall. And, to my knowledge, there are still intramurals at UA that could be played in the JAR.

BTW, the football team has and continues to use an outdoor practice field in addition to the field house and the Info. What are your thoughts on that? I have wondered if UA should scuttle the outdoor practice field but many seem to want it to stay.

BTW, the football team has and continues to use an outdoor practice field in addition to the field house and the Info. What are your thoughts on that? I have wondered if UA should scuttle the outdoor practice field but many seem to want it to stay.

I believe that outdoor practice field actually gets a lot of use. I've seen both the men's and women's soccer teams practicing on that field, as well as intramural sports being played there.

It looks to me as though the U is looking for the baseball team to use Canal Park AMAP. They haven't put any $$$ into Lee Jackson's baseball field in years. I have to think that's were they want to place the arena.

I believe that outdoor practice field actually gets a lot of use. I've seen both the men's and women's soccer teams practicing on that field, as well as intramural sports being played there.

It looks to me as though the U is looking for the baseball team to use Canal Park AMAP. They haven't put any $$$ into Lee Jackson's baseball field in years. I have to think that's were they want to place the arena.

Now that you mention it, I too recall seeing the practice field used by both soccer teams as well as the band. Good point. The footprint of the baseball field was also mentioned to me as an option for an arena. At that time, it was suggested that a new baseball field would be built south of Exchange in the area of Buchtel Field House.

Well, I think Mr Curtis has more integrity than you give him credit for as does Keith Dambrot. I didn't say they didn't have integrity. I said they have different paradigms.

He suggested using the JAR as one. What do you propose we do with the JAR then once we get a new arena? Curtis expressed a stupid idea. It shouldn't be used as a practice facility or any facility related to Athletics. Build a research center for people to research a cure for cancer. Society will get more out of it.

I realize that you seem to see TW as having a "pie-in-the-sky" or self-serving agenda and now that has been extended to Ted Curtis and Keith Dambrot. I see TW as more of a person with crap between his ears rather than self serving. If Curtis and Dambrot are self serving, I don't blame them. They have a lot of skin in the game.

No one has ruled out concerts and other gatherings taking place in a new arena or the Info for that matter. Lots of people have ruled out concerts at UofA. Most of them are concert promoters.

And, to my knowledge, there are still intramurals at UA that could be played in the JAR. They can play those games at the recreation center. That's what that existing building is for.

The University has mentioned tearing down both the Martin Center and The Alumni Center.

I don't want these two buildings leveled for an arena or for anything else for that matter.

There's enough blighted areas around that we shouldn't be tearing down historic buildings.

post-150-1363967867_thumb.jpg

post-150-1363967850_thumb.jpg

I saw that in the paper where Ted Curtis suggested raising both buildings which surprised me for the same reasons you point out. I do know that the inside of the Martin Center is a train wreck and then some. Both buildings are going to need a lot of work and $$$ if they are to be restored. I think the thrust of the article is that the offices of the alumni and development need better digs and need to be together as they are the front door for big donors to the University. I always wondered why UA had such a terrible location for Development. When you want to lure and impress donors, you don't want to do it in a building that looks like crap. The move of the two departments into one location at the football stadium is a good one. Raising The Martin Center and The Alumni Center...not so much.