A New Arena

JeffQ78

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to see a comprehensive list of all the events (besides hockey) that can be held in an arena with a floor sized to accommodate a hockey rink (200x85 feet) but could not be held in an arena with a floor space optimized for a basketball court (94x50 feet).

I'd be interested in this as well.

Off the top of my head:

Various ice capade shows.

Monster trucks/motor cross.

Indoor soccer.

Arena football.

I'd be interested in this as well.

Off the top of my head:

Various ice capade shows.

Monster trucks/motor cross.

Indoor soccer.

Arena football.

Hockey (it might seem obvious, but needs to be listed).

Concerts requiring a large stage (think pyrotechnics that you could never have in the JAR).

OK, we're making progress. Hockey, indoor soccer and arena football require teams. Is there any serious interest by any hockey, indoor soccer or arena football teams in playing in Akron? If not, it would be limited to exhibitions -- maybe once a year or twice at most, so 3 to 6 events.

Icecapades would work once a year or twice at most. Same with monster trucks and motocross. That's another 3-6 events per year at most.

Bigger stage for a concert? While the dimensions for a basketball court are 94x50, there's a minimum of 3 feet required outside the boundary lines before seating can start, and the preferred is 10 feet. So, adding 10 feet to each side of a basketball court takes it up to 114x70. That's only 15 feet less width than the hard dimensions between the boards and glass surrounding a hockey rink -- not that significant to me.

The difference in cost between an arena optimized for basketball and one that can accommodate a hockey rink is not inconsequential. Local economics have to support the difference. I'm not seeing a compelling case just yet. But I'm open to more data.

I have to feel that if the arena is only funded by UA that it's guaranteed to be basketball-specific. But honestly at this point I just want it to get done. Whatever scenario is quickest and allows us to spend the most money. I've been in basketball arenas with awful layouts and hockey arenas with great layouts. Just depends on how it is built and how it is able to adapt to different sports. Since hockey is still a club sport, they really won't impact planning. If UA decides to make it an official sport they can build them an ice arena down the road. Most schools have separate arenas for hockey and basketball anyway (Notre Dame, Miami, BG, WMU, Penn State, etc). Most only need to accommodate a few thousand and can be built fairly cheap.

The difference in cost between an arena optimized for basketball and one that can accommodate a hockey rink is not inconsequential. Local economics have to support the difference. I'm not seeing a compelling case just yet. But I'm open to more data.

You assume that the circumstances we have today won't change. Maybe the Monsters fold, and another hockey team wants to move to the area. Same with the Gladiators. Maybe an indoor soccer team wants to play in Akron. We want this new arena to last 40 years or so, and to be prepared for any opportunities that should arise.

You assume that the circumstances we have today won't change. Maybe the Monsters fold, and another hockey team wants to move to the area. Same with the Gladiators. Maybe an indoor soccer team wants to play in Akron. We want this new arena to last 40 years or so, and to be prepared for any opportunities that should arise.

My dream scenario would be for Cleveland to get an NHL team, but there's zero chance of that ever happening.

If we're going on pure spec, then where do we draw the line? Build a 22,000-seat arena on the possibility that LeBron might get an NBA franchise in Akron after he retires? Whoever is paying for this has to read the tea leaves and count the pennies. If it's UA alone, they're not going to take a big gamble on what might happen in the next decades. This needs to be a really smart decision -- not too much and not too little.

I'm currently watching the Wichita State -vs- Gonzaga game. It's being played at Energy Solutions Arena in Salt Lake City - home arena of the Utah Jazz.

It's a hockey arena, but the fans seem to be right on top of the action (unlike at the Q & at all other NBA arenas I've seen).

Don't know how, or why, but it's obviously a design to look at.

(With about half the capacity, of course.)

[edit] What I mean by that is that the seating in the corners of the arena seem to be quite close to the court, whereas in the Q you're sitting about 40 yards from the court in the corner seats.

Every time we talk arenas hockey always comes up. It's not going to happen. First off, kd does not want it. Second of all, the university is broke. The upkeep associated with an ice rink would really jack up operating expenses. We really need to focus on basketball. Let Miami of Ohio and BG waste money on hockey. It's really paid dividends for their basketball programs.

Energy Solutions Arena appears to be one of the best I've seen for basketball at a multipurpose arena that can accommodate hockey. Looks like they do it with really intelligently designed moveable seating. This can't be inexpensive.

Energy_Solutions_Arena_Interior.JPG

Great picture. I couldn't find a picture where it's set up for hockey or football.

Every time we talk arenas hockey always comes up. It's not going to happen. First off, kd does not want it. Second of all, the university is broke. The upkeep associated with an ice rink would really jack up operating expenses. We really need to focus on basketball. Let Miami of Ohio and BG waste money on hockey. It's really paid dividends for their basketball programs.

^^^This is why I lean toward a basketball-specific arena. KD's been around the block a thousand times & I trust his opinion on this.

My only question is, does Energy Solutions Arena even hold hockey games anymore? I see that an arena football team plays there, but that's all. I know the current hockey teams in the area play in another arena outside of Salt Lake City, the Maverick Center. Seems like during non-basketball events the first few rows would end up being elevated from the floor.

Minor league hockey, arena football & indoor soccer would be nice. Unfortunately, Cleveland already has the Gladiators (arena football) and Monsters (hockey).

Think a step lower. Wooster, Erie, Youngstown, Toledo, Wheeling, Dayton, and Columbus (LOL!!! sorry) have minor league hockey.

Marion (for crying out loud), Wheeling, Cincinnati, and Dayton ahve arena football (Canton had one but the arena is not interested about anything but the Charge now)

Cincinnati, Dayton, and Oberlin have indoor soccer

Check out all the other events those arenas have. Don't think about events you want to see, think about events that would bring revenue to the University.

Picture students with access to intramural and pickup arena soccer, football, lacrosse year round. Picture 10 years from now an AD who wants full floor sports.

Think outside the JAR. ;)

My only question is, does Energy Solutions Arena even hold hockey games anymore? I see that an arena football team plays there, but that's all. I know the current hockey teams in the area play in another arena outside of Salt Lake City, the Maverick Center. Seems like during non-basketball events the first few rows would end up being elevated from the floor.

That's alright, as you're behind dasher boards anyhow.

I go away from this topic for less than 24 hours and I see it has come around to building a new arena taking monster truck shows, indoor soccer and ice shows into consideration. What about dog shows? I hope anyone involved in thinking about how it should be built is a little more focused than that.

I certainly believe that with an investment of this magnitude, UA has to very carefully research the local market and anticipate what types of events are likely -- not just remotely possible -- to be economically viable in the future. This will need to take into consideration other nearby facilities that would be competing for similar events. The research also needs to carefully consider how much profit each type of event is likely to generate versus construction and operating costs of a facility that can support each type of event. If a multipurpose arena makes sound economic sense for UA, then by all means make that investment if an investor will make the funding available at a reasonable interest rate. If it should turn out that an arena designed specifically around a basketball court can hold almost every type of realistically projected event at a substantial cost savings, then make the smarter investment. Right now I'm pretty optimistic about the future of Zips basketball and the need for a somewhat larger, more optimized basketball arena. I remain skeptical that some of the types of events mentioned here as possibilities would be likely to generate sufficient income in the Akron market to offset the added construction and operating costs.