WTF!?!?!?

MDZip

Wow. We finally just became the lead story on both Channel 3 and Channel 5.

Too bad these jokers could never do this for all of the good things that happen at the U of A, and their athletic programs.

Sorry, it's not a news story until Carl Monday is chasing Coach Dambrot from his office to his car with a cameraman in tow.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Big Zips's link, AA has plead Not Guilty. His next court date is March 22nd (Day 2 of the Big Dance, not counting the play-in round). Bail is set at 5k. Someone will probably pay it, I'm guessing.

Here's the one-in-a-billion best case scenario now, since he remains suspended until the matter is resolved:

1. It comes out on March 22 that not only is he not guilty, but it was somehow a huuuuuuuge misunderstanding and he's super-extra-innocent of any wrongdoing at all (like, the package was supposed to go the people next door or something), and he is quickly set free.

2. The Zips, having won the MAC Tourney, have their first game in Dayton, and it's a night game.

3. His suspension is immediately lifted and he makes it down to Dayton in time for the game, where we find he has stayed in game shape and picks up where he left off.

Come to think of it, one in a billion is probably too generous.

Actually, best case scenario is that Alex signed for a package at his friends house and did not know what was in the package. He testifies in the Grand Jury and convinces the grand jury he is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Grand Jury no bills the case and Alex is reinstated for next weeks game. I am not saying this is going to happen since nobody knows what the evidence is in this case. However, this is the best case scenario for the team and Alex. Right now this team needs to step up and play their best ball without him.

3. His suspension is immediately lifted and he makes it down to Dayton in time for the game, where we find he has stayed in game shape and picks up where he left off.

Come to think of it, one in a billion is probably too generous.

If the prosecution uncovered exonerating evidence that Abreu was truly innocent and there was a major misunderstanding, the Ohio Rules of Professional Responsibility require him or her to immediately produce it and, in all likelihood, a court sua sponte ("on its own motion") would immediately dismiss the case against him. This can happen any time before scheduled hearings.... but yes, one in a billion shot.

Today's Zipmail

Earlier today, Tom Wistrcill, the University’s director of athletics, shared with the members of Zips Nation his views about tonight’s game given recent events. We thought you might want to see this as well.

Zips Nation,

After watching part of our Men’s Basketball team practice this morning, I wanted to communicate with you as we consider you to be part of our team as well.

We are obviously saddened to learn of the situation involving Alex Abreu. We don’t know all of the facts and will await more information in the days and weeks ahead as the legal process plays out.

What I do know is that our team is determined to move forward. I am proud of the focus that Coach Dambrot and our student-athletes have shown last night and today in preparation for tonight’s game against Can't State before a sold-out crowd at Rhodes Arena.

We are excited about the energy and passion that all of you will bring tonight as you cheer on the Zips. Let’s be loud and proud! Whether you’ll be at the JAR or watching on ESPN2, we appreciate your continued support for Akron Basketball.

Go Zips!

Tom Wistrcill

Director of Athletics

P.S. If you’re coming to the game tonight, please arrive early to help us honor Chauncey Gilliam, Zeke Marshall and Brian Walsh as part of our Senior Night pre-game activities.

Marla Ridenhour for the Akron Beacon Journal.

"Alex Abreu apparently chose selfish path"

I really don't care for that article.

"This wasn’t just the bad choice of putting a match to a blunt, as some Zips probably have done before."

Does that sound appropriate for a print newspaper?

Not to mention, isn't this article a tad premature? The tone of her article seems appropriate for message board banter, but not for a heavily circulated(yet dying) rag like the ABJ. She seems to be assuming a lot.

Whatever. Funny how the Northeast Ohio media stuffs us in the 11 PM time slot during a 19 game winning streak, yet somehow everyone from here to Erie(and beyond) knows about the Abreu incident. Dirt sells, I suppose.

"This wasn’t just the bad choice of putting a match to a blunt, as some Zips probably have done before."

Not to mention, isn't this article a tad premature? The tone of her article seems appropriate for message board banter, but not for a heavily circulated(yet dying) rag like the ABJ. She seems to be assuming a lot.

Whatever. Funny how the Northeast Ohio media stuffs us in the 11 PM time slot during a 19 game winning streak, yet somehow everyone from here to Erie(and beyond) knows about the Abreu incident. Dirt sells, I suppose.

Uh, I would say this story is pretty big news. We have to expect it's going to be covered, and, perhaps, not to our liking.

No point in obsessing about the coverage as it portratys AA. We should care more about how, guilty or not, the situation AA put himself in has affected his team and the university.

The best way for this to go our way is if the team can rise above it and win the MAC Championship. Let's focus on supporting them as they try to achieve that goal.

Uh, I would say this story is pretty big news. We have to expect it's going to be covered, and, perhaps, not to our liking.

Of course. I'm merely pointing out that our historic season is big news as well. I understand that negative stories probably sell more--I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter.

No point in obsessing about the coverage as it portratys AA. We should care more about how, guilty or not, the situation AA put himself in has affected his team and the university.

I pointed out that the article seemed unprofessional. I would not consider that "obsessing".

The best way for this to go our way is if the team can rise above it and win the MAC Championship. Let's focus on supporting them as they try to achieve that goal.

Agreed. Go zips!

Of course. I'm merely pointing out that our historic season is big news as well. I understand that negative stories probably sell more--I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter.

I pointed out that the article seemed unprofessional. I would not consider that "obsessing".

Agreed. Go zips!

Sorry, I didn't mean for my comments to attack you personally. My intent was to address the collective psyche of the students, alumni, fans and supporters of the university.

This sitaution is unpleasant on many levels. It causes differnet emotions for different reasons for all of us. None of us like it.

IMO, the best thing we can do is undertand outsiders are going to "pile-on" the story, try to have a thick skin, but, as we expect the players to do, try to be as positive as possible.

Go Zips!!!!!

Actually, best case scenario is that Alex signed for a package at his friends house and did not know what was in the package. He testifies in the Grand Jury and convinces the grand jury he is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Grand Jury no bills the case and Alex is reinstated for next weeks game. I am not saying this is going to happen since nobody knows what the evidence is in this case. However, this is the best case scenario for the team and Alex. Right now this team needs to step up and play their best ball without him.

That sort of scenario occurred to me too, but I don't think it qualifies as "best case scenario" because I don't think his suspension would be lifted in this case; he's still hanging out at the house of a big-time drug dealer. Obviously, this is all just wildly speculative and meaningless, moot spitballing, but hey, it's the internet.

If the prosecution uncovered exonerating evidence that Abreu was truly innocent and there was a major misunderstanding, the Ohio Rules of Professional Responsibility require him or her to immediately produce it and, in all likelihood, a court sua sponte ("on its own motion") would immediately dismiss the case against him. This can happen any time before scheduled hearings.... but yes, one in a billion shot.

Thank you for the clarification.

I hate the coverage, or lack thereof, on the Zips in what I call the Cleveland Beacon Journal. Maybe it's gotten better since I left town, but I doubt it.

That said, this is a column, an opinion piece. NOT an article. Columnists, pundits, editorial writers, all these guys give their opinions, and waiting until all the facts are in does not stop them from expressing their opinion in the meantime, does not deter them any more than it deters us (as you allude to) on ZN.O. Strong opinions based on facts not (yet) in evidence is furthermore something we abhor of the political commentators we disagree with but forgive (because, come on, you know they're right) with the ones we do agree with. Both are protected by the first amendment.

I HATE HATE HATE it when fans and, especially, coaches, suggest that the local media ought to be a Pravda-like mouthpiece for whatever program they fancy. Coaches have been known to ban writers from press conferences, facilities, and the like for expressing opinions they didn't like.

Such behavior, and the local fan support of such behavior, makes my blood run cold. It suggests the coach or fan values the first amendment less than they value promotion of whatever institution they support.

So, I guess I missed a lt today. What can I say? I'm disappointed in Alex, I don't know what he's guilty of other than being around the wrong people, but that in itself is enough. When you are supposed to be a leader, you have to realize that you represent more than yourself. That being said, I wish the best for him. I wish the best for everyone (except fans of our cross town rivals). I don't care what he did, he put himself in a place that represents our brand poorly. I hope that he gets himself straightened out, but I do hope that KD makes him part ways regardless. I hope that He's successful in life, but the damage that he's caused is irreparable. Best wishes, A.A.

Depending on how involved he was, he could be in really big trouble, or in a mountain of trouble.

If the package was shipped across state lines, he could be facing Federal charges in addition to state/local charges. I don't see how he avoids jail.

Depending on how involved he was, he could be in really big trouble, or in a mountain of trouble.

If the package was shipped across state lines, he could be facing Federal charges in addition to state/local charges. I don't see how he avoids jail.

And if the package was addressed to him, instead of the owner of the house, he's pretty much 100% screwed.

True, he faces a lot of trouble. But for the sake of clarity, the package did NOT need to be shipped across state lines to qualify for federal charges. The fact that he used the mails at all gives the feds jurisdiction to prosecute as well.

True, he faces a lot of trouble. But for the sake of clarity, the package did NOT need to be shipped across state lines to qualify for federal charges. The fact that he used the mails at all gives the feds jurisdiction to prosecute as well.

It will be a state case. The Feds have jurisdiction, but there's no reason for them to get involved.