WTF!?!?!?

MDZip

Depending on how involved he was, he could be in really big trouble, or in a mountain of trouble.

If the package was shipped across state lines, he could be facing Federal charges in addition to state/local charges. I don't see how he avoids jail.

From my experience, the Feds don't generally jump in. Federal prosecutors only take cases they are 100% sure of winning. And they like cases that make a splash.

It is far more common for the Feds to decline prosecution and leave it to the locals.

Here in NY, JFK is in Queens County.

Smuggling drugs is certainly a FEDERAL OFFENSE.

But almost all the drug mules get arrested by local Police and tried in Queens Supreme Court. Just the way it is. And I speak from personal experience. 30 years in Queens Supreme Court. Saw many drug mules get 15-life for a few condoms of coke under the old Rockefeller Laws.

Since this was (apparently) a first arrest and AA is otherwise a reputable college student, he will probably get to make a plea deal and get a slap on the wrist. Minimal time in the local jail (if any), more likely probation and community service.

It does not matter what you "think" will happen. I speak from direct experience.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@akronzips71, I really appreciate you sharing your professional expertise on this issue. I've read a lot about this case, and the media stories are all light on fine details. I've also heard some things through various non-media sources. The more I hear the more puzzled I am by the whole situation. It's possible that we may be surprised when more facts come out. I hope you will continue to share your expertise on this type of situation as more developments take place.

@akronzips71, I really appreciate you sharing your professional expertise on this issue. I've read a lot about this case, and the media stories are all light on fine details. I've also heard some things through various non-media sources. The more I hear the more puzzled I am by the whole situation. It's possible that we may be surprised when more facts come out. I hope you will continue to share your expertise on this type of situation as more developments take place.

Just to be clear, I know nothing about this case.

And IF they go to the Grand Jury we will learn more. In my area, lawyers work like h*ll to keep cases out of the Grand Jury by making deals.

People up here tend to get a little nuts when someone gets jammed up. Last year Tree got locked up over a bar fight. People here had him on Death Row. It went away, just like I said it would. It was a college kid in a bar fight.

I think the Police in Can't are still looking for me in regards to some of the things I did in the the bars there.

But this is a first arrest. It was pot, not crack. If they found packaging materials, he will be in much deeper trouble because they can make that case for distribution. If not, I think he will probably take a misdemeanor and the sentence will not be severe. Beware the next time.

Just to be clear, I know nothing about this case.

And IF they go to the Grand Jury we will learn more. In my area, lawyers work like h*ll to keep cases out of the Grand Jury by making deals.

People up here tend to get a little nuts when someone gets jammed up. Last year Tree got locked up over a bar fight. People here had him on Death Row. It went away, just like I said it would. It was a college kid in a bar fight.

I think the Police in Can't are still looking for me in regards to some of the things I did in the the bars there.

But this is a first arrest. It was pot, not crack. If they found packaging materials, he will be in much deeper trouble because they can make that case for distribution. If not, I think he will probably take a misdemeanor and the sentence will not be severe. Beware the next time.

Five pounds of weed sure sounds like drug trafficking, and I think that generally results in more than a slap on the wrist. The drug abuse will probably get dropped as part of a plea deal, but the trafficking could stick unless there's a weakness in the case or the prosecutor is feeling generous. As a first offender, Alex is looking at a suspended prison sentence and probation. That's my guess, with the understanding that I only know what I read in paper. I've heard that his attorney is good, so maybe the prosecutor will be more willing to deal rather than take a chance at a trial. A lot of things come into play.

Five pounds of weed sure sounds like drug trafficking, and I think that generally results in more than a slap on the wrist. The drug abuse will probably get dropped as part of a plea deal, but the trafficking could stick unless there's a weakness in the case or the prosecutor is feeling generous. As a first offender, Alex is looking at a suspended prison sentence and probation. That's my guess, with the understanding that I only know what I read in paper. I've heard that his attorney is good, so maybe the prosecutor will be more willing to deal rather than take a chance at a trial. A lot of things come into play.

What you said is not that different from what I said, EXCEPT

Unless there is more that comes out, I don't think they will force him to take a Felony. That is not too usual for a first, non violent offense.

Don't get hung up on the "presumption" of trafficking. Absent some other elements, a jury is free to reject the presumption. A defense attorney might argue at trial that 10 or 15 college guys got together for a group buy, which is not trafficking. Juries have bought into way less than that.

As long as the other 10 guys were not members of the Hoops team!

AA's attorney, Bob Meeker is probably one of the 4 or 5 criminal attorney's in Akron. Knowing Bob, I am sure he will be working for the best interest of AA.

According to the arrest ticket, Abreu admitted after being given Miranda warnings (i.e., you have the right to remain silent blah blah blah) that he had the drugs shipped. Not good for the defense attorney in presenting a case.

This post keeps sticking in my mind. Is this actually fact? This would be pretty incriminating, yet everything I have read is very vague on any details in the case.

The quote that Dr. Z pulled out of Keith's radio interview seems pretty telling also.

This post keeps sticking in my mind. Is this actually fact? This would be pretty incriminating, yet everything I have read is very vague on any details in the case.

The quote that Dr. Z pulled out of Keith's radio interview seems pretty telling also.

If they were not in Spanish, the lawyer will have a good chance of suppressing the statement. Since AA is from PR, where Spanish the official first language, he can argue lack of understanding.

The prosecutor would not be able to counter that with proof that AA is an English major with a straight A average (I made that up). You can not rebut an argument, only evidence.

I am just saying, there is basically no such thing as a slam dunk case.

If they were not in Spanish, the lawyer will have a good chance of suppressing the statement. Since AA is from PR, where Spanish the official first language, he can argue lack of understanding.

The prosecutor would not be able to counter that with proof that AA is an English major with a straight A average (I made that up). You can not rebut an argument, only evidence.

I am just saying, there is basically no such thing as a slam dunk case.

Seems to me that akronzips71 should be helping the defense. :D

But seriously the more I think about this the less serious it becomes in my mind. I'm almost expecting Rico back for next year at this point. Unless there is way more out there that we haven't heard about...

Seems to me that akronzips71 should be helping the defense. :D

But seriously the more I think about this the less serious it becomes in my mind. I'm almost expecting Rico back for next year at this point. Unless there is way more out there that we haven't heard about...

First of all, I am not a lawyer but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.....

I am just pointing out that each time a player has gotten in trouble, some of the folks here act like the guy is a mass murderer. Just because someone is arrested and charged does NOT make them guilty. And most cases do not result in a conviction of the top charge. Just an observation.

As far as coming back, that is a different issue. The University operates to a different legal standard, and they can determine he violated the University Code of Conduct and expel him.

Of course, if it turns out that he is completely exonerated, that is something else.

@akronzips71, even if you're not an attorney, 30 years in the Queens Supreme Court in just about any capacity should give you a lot more experience in making educated guesses about court cases than the average guy on the street.

Yes Dave, only an educated guess. And times change.

I remember working in Arraignments in Manhattan 100 Centre St back in 1983. There was an exchange student there from Sweden to observe (quite attractive too, do they have cheerleaders in Sweden)?

Anyway, a case came through of a guy charged with drug sales, coke or heroin, do not remember which. So she says:

"OMG, he is going to get a lot of time in prison, yes"?

And I said:

"No, he is going to plead guilty to Disorderly Conduct and go home".

She was shocked.

The point was, in 1983 the Manhattan DA was not going to give up his undercover cop to testify in a $10.00 sale case. All they could do, if the defendant did not have a prior extensive record (like if they caught a made man or something) was give him a pass. Bigger fish await, once the undercover is blown all his work is over.

Only a few years later, that same defendant would have been sent to trial in an attempt to put him in prison. Why? Because the crack epidemic had hit and they were trying to get all dealers off the street and end the crack wars, which you may recall resulted in the assassination of rookie NYPD cop Eddie Byrne. That happened in Queens County and I was involved with the case. The only way to end the war was to get all the players off the streets and into jail for a long time.

Today, that same defendant gets sent to the Drug Program part. If he does a program, the entire arrest gets erased! That is the new trend, send everyone to a program. They have Veterans Court, Youth Court, Gun Court, maybe Akron will have Basketball Court (but NOT at the JAR LOL).

So I don't think pot is considered any big deal any more, and even if they have a strong case they will probably make a deal. Especially on a first arrest. That means a lot.

But UA may not and probably will not be that lenient. A varsity athlete with five pounds of weed is not much of a role model.

GP1: Heyyyyyyyyy!!!! What's this lyin' around s***?

a-zip: Well what the h*** we supposed to do ya mo-ron?

Zipsnation (collectively): War's over man, APD dropped the big one.

GP1: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Akronzips71: [whispers] Germans?

Captain Kangaroo: Forget it, he's rolling.

GP1: And it ain't over now!!! 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! C'mon!

[runs out, alone... then returns]

What the $% happened to the zipsnation I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you GP1, we might end up disappointed." Well just kiss my @$$ from now on!! Not me!! I'm not gonna take this. Evans, he's a dead man! Cooper, dead! McCreaaaaaa -

w00t: Dead! GP1's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these b***ards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

GP1: We're just the guys to do it.

meatwad: Let's do it.

GP1: LET'S DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIT!!

When we paste Can't by 20 on senior night in a few hours, we'll all feel better.

I'll trade my predicted 20-point win from last week for tonight's performance.

God love ya Alex, I truly believe that not being a part of tonight was as much punishment (or more) than you deserve.

AA would have helped us make a run in the Dance.

It just can not be denied.

We have a point in guard in Betancourt. Not a lot of experience, but he did jus fine tonight. Enjoy the moment and quit complaining.

We will be the only team entering the Madness without a point guard.

On his TV show Coach D said that they are supporting AA and are not turning their back on him. He said if anybody knows about making a mistake and getting a second chance it is him. So if there were any way the U allows him to stay there, and eligibility to play, KD will welcome him back.

On his TV show Coach D said that they are supporting AA and are not turning their back on him. He said if anybody knows about making a mistake and getting a second chance it is him. So if there were any way the U allows him to stay there, and eligibility to play, KD will welcome him back.

Innocent until proven guilty.

I know the U has to put up an ethical face for the public, but can you imagine the publicity they'd receive if they truly stood behind the kid and let him play? Holy crap, ESPN would explode.

Of course, this is only if Dambrot and AA sat down face to face and AA straight up said he's innocent. Not sure how realistic that is however.

Innocent until proven guilty.

I know the U has to put up an ethical face for the public, but can you imagine the publicity they'd receive if they truly stood behind the kid and let him play? Holy crap, ESPN would explode.

Of course, this is only if Dambrot and AA sat down face to face and AA straight up said he's innocent. Not sure how realistic that is however.

I think Abreu is done as a Zip, but IF he was cleared of charges or they were minimized to a misdemeanor, I could see him returning. I just don't think he gets off that easy.