Who Win The MAC

GP1

MAC Champion  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before Friday morning, I thought Akron would run away with the MAC Tournament. I still think they will win it, but now the door is open for at least five teams to win if the chips fall their way.

Again, I picked Akron.

If there is a sleeper out there and you want to select Other, have at it. My sleeper would be Buffalo.

Pick you winner and why you pick them.

Before Friday morning, I thought Akron would run away with the MAC Tournament. I still think they will win it, but now the door is open for at least five teams to win if the chips fall their way.

Again, I picked Akron.

If there is a sleeper out there and you want to select Other, have at it. My sleeper would be Buffalo.

Pick you winner and why you pick them.

:wave:

I am concerned that we are not giving enough credit to the other 10 players. AA's efforts were on and off. One announcer said he does as much good as not so good.

I have no doubt we will win this weekend, if they focus on the job at hand.

Carmelo is a fine guard and he will do just fine if the team trusts him and hopefully that develops over this week of practice.

To think there is a doubt that we can win because of AA, I just do not agree with it. :rolleyes:

I am concerned that we are not giving enough credit to the other 10 players. AA's efforts were on and off. One announcer said he does as much good as not so good.

I have no doubt we will win this weekend, if they focus on the job at hand.

Carmelo is a fine guard and he will do just fine if the team trusts him and hopefully that develops over this week of practice.

To think there is a doubt that we can win because of AA, I just do not agree with it. :rolleyes:

I think we need to find his 10 points someplace.

My Picks

First Round - Buffalo over Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan over Northern Illinois, Miami over Bowling Green

Second Round - Buffalo over Ball State, Eastern Michigan over Miami

Quarterfinals - Can't State over Eastern Michigan, Buffalo over Western Michigan

Semi-Finals - Akron over Can't State, Ohio over Buffalo (with both games very close)

Finals - Ohio over Akron (another close one)

It's worth noting that if Akron has Abreu, I am extremely confident they win this tournament. With Abreu, they were simply a better team this year than OU. Without him, I think OU barely edges the Zips out. I hope I'm wrong. Good lord do I hope I'm wrong. And it's not that I don't think we have enough talent...it's the timing. One game and one week of practice to change your entire game plan is a tall order, no matter how much talent you have. Look at UNC last year.

Please prove my doubts wrong Zips! :)

Last week I said I believed the A-10 was the most wide open tournament. Now, I believe the MAC is equally as wide open. For those of you going to the tournament, I think you are going to see some very competitive basketball. Your money will not be wasted.

Leaving the arena Friday, I was disappointed, but after thinking about it it would have taken a miracle to win that game. To lose your floor general 24 hours prior in a shocking manner is nearly impossible to overcome. I think with a week of practice and preparation under their belts, they will be fine. Will they win the tourney? I'm not sure, but I expect the offensive effort to be much better this Friday. I think defense is the key. If we see a defensive effort like we saw in the second half against Can't State, we'll be fine.

My Picks

First Round - Buffalo over Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan over Northern Illinois, Miami over Bowling Green

Second Round - Buffalo over Ball State, Eastern Michigan over Miami

Quarterfinals - Can't State over Eastern Michigan, Buffalo over Western Michigan

Semi-Finals - Akron over Can't State, Ohio over Buffalo (with both games very close)

Finals - Ohio over Akron (another close one)

It's worth noting that if Akron has Abreu, I am extremely confident they win this tournament. With Abreu, they were simply a better team this year than OU. Without him, I think OU barely edges the Zips out. I hope I'm wrong. Good lord do I hope I'm wrong. And it's not that I don't think we have enough talent...it's the timing. One game and one week of practice to change your entire game plan is a tall order, no matter how much talent you have. Look at UNC last year.

Please prove my doubts wrong Zips! :)

The quarterfinals got flip flopped. Buffalo is on Akron's side of the bracket and EMU is on Ohio's. I feel that Akron has the much tougher bracket then OU since we have Buffalo and Can't. OU only has Western on their side.

The quarterfinals got flip flopped. Buffalo is on Akron's side of the bracket and EMU is on Ohio's. I feel that Akron has the much tougher bracket then OU since we have Buffalo and Can't. OU only has Western on their side.

Great news. We only have to play one team at a time.

then OU what?

Hey Folks, if there's a very bright cloud right now, it's the fact that this is the MAC.

We've won this tournament in the last several years as a #5 and #6 seed.

We've lost this tournament many times as a high seed.

ANYTHING can happen. And recent history shows we haven't closed the deal when we are one of the favorites. And nobody is looking at us as a favorite right now.

In addition. We have won this tournament with lesser talented teams against better talented teams. There is no way the Zips shouldn't be the favorite to win this year.

Hey Folks, if there's a very bright cloud right now, it's the fact that this is the MAC.

We've lost this tournament many times as a high seed.

ANYTHING can happen. And recent history shows we haven't closed the deal when we are one of the favorites. And nobody is looking at us as a favorite right now.

Champions (and seeds) since 2005:

2012 - Ohio #3

2011 - Akron #6

2010 - Ohio #9

2009 - Akron #5

2008 - K.e.n.t. #1

2007 - Miami #4

2006 - K.e.n.t. #1

2005 - Ohio #4

Average seed of the champion the last 8 years 4.125. Granted, I would be amazed if any team without a top 4 seed & the byes wins this tournament as long as the bracket remains in it's current form. Side note, the last time a non-East Division team won was 9 years ago when Western Michigan won their only title.

I still think it's an Akron Ohio final. I can't remember a time when two teams were this much better than the rest of the league. I'd put the odds for each team to win at:

Akron / Ohio 5:4

Can't St. 7:1

W Michigan 25:1

Buffalo 75:1

Bowling Green 150:1

E Michigan 500:1

Ball St. 250:1

Miami 1250:1

C Michigan 1500:1

N Illinois 1500:1

I picked the Zips as well. I believe the week off will benefit us. I have faith that Coach and the team will be prepared for life w/o Alex.

I know people are high on OU as the ones to beat us, but Can't State should not be overlooked. Over the last five games they are undefeated, while Akron and OU are both 3-2. We know our story, but OU has lost to us, been blown out by Belmont, and have close wins over Buffalo and Miami. Neither of us have been real impressive.

I can't remember a time when two teams were this much better than the rest of the league.

Not sure it's quite that big of a separation between Akron/Ohio and the other 10. In record, sure. But Can't lost twice to Ohio by scores of 69-68 and 78-75 in OT and they beat us at home.

I thought the Zips were slight favorites this time last week. Today I honestly think it's anyone's tournament. It all comes down to conditioning, breaks, talent and defense - not necessarily in that order.

Vegas odds on the Mac Tournament.

Ohio-- Even

Akron-- +125

Field-- +500

Can't-- +600

WMU-- +1000

For those of you that don't know what your looking at. If you bet a dollar on OU and win, you get a dollar back. If you bet a dollar on UA and win, you get a dollar and a quarter back. If you bet a dollar on Can't and win, you get six back. Dollar bet on WMU, gets you ten. The "Field" consists of anybody other than OU, UA, KSpU and WMU.

Good luck. :wave:

Not sure it's quite that big of a separation between Akron/Ohio and the other 10. In record, sure. But Can't lost twice to Ohio by scores of 69-68 and 78-75 in OT and they beat us at home.

I thought the Zips were slight favorites this time last week. Today I honestly think it's anyone's tournament. It all comes down to conditioning, breaks, talent and defense - not necessarily in that order.

They may have been close, but they're still wins. Whens the last time #1 and #2 finished 4 games better than #3 and 5 games better than #4?

Ohio-- Even

Akron-- +125

Field-- +500

Can't-- +600

WMU-- +1000

For those of you that don't know what your looking at. If you bet a dollar on OU and win, you get a dollar back. If you bet a dollar on UA and win, you get a dollar and a quarter back. If you bet a dollar on Can't and win, you get six back. Dollar bet on WMU, gets you ten. The "Field" consists of anybody other than OU, UA, KSpU and WMU.

What if I parlayed two of these together, what kind of odds would I get? (on a side note, I just bought a bridge in Brooklyn at a very reasonable rate)

Ohio-- Even

Akron-- +125

Field-- +500

Can't-- +600

WMU-- +1000

Really, those odds on Can't seem pretty good. Akron should beat them after having a week to practice without Abreu...but strictly from a betting point of view, I think Can't has at least a better chance than the "field". They're 8-2 in last 10 with two losses being in OT at OU and by 6 points at WMU. Whether they play BSU or Buff, they'll have an overwhelming crowd advantage Thursday night.